Noctua NH-D15 too heavy for Asus Z170-A mobo?

Keyune

Hello. I want to buy Noctua NH-D15 to cool my brand new i7 6700K. My motherboard is Asus Z170-A, and I have a Fractal R5 case. My main concern is the weight of the cooler (1.32 kg), which seems very heavy. I've read a lot of reviews on the Z170-A board, and one of the main flaws this board has is a weak backplate. My concern increases because I'm planning to move my computer as well (a 9-hour drive on pretty bad roads across Norway), and I'm very worried that I'll find my computer in pieces when I arrive. Any tips on what to do? Is the mobo strong enough for this cooler? And how should I move my rig without breaking anything? Dissasembling is not optional, I'm not tech savvy enough to reassemble it. 

2 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

When you move your computer around, remove tower heatsinks and graphics cards. 

That's one of the main issues at hand. I wouldn't be able to put the parts back.

2 minutes ago, Keyune said:

That's one of the main issues at hand. I wouldn't be able to put the parts back.

Graphics cards are easy to remove and put back it, Noctua CPU cooler apparently have a very good mounting system so it is easy to remove and put back into place. 

8 minutes ago, Keyune said:

Dissasembling is not optional, I'm not tech savvy enough to reassemble it. 

To remove your gpu/heatsink, you don't need to be tech savy. ;) Watch some videos on it. It is as easy as counting down from 27. (No idea why i picked 27.) You could also fill up any empty spaces in your case by using some boxes or packing materials. (for example the boxes your components came in)

2 minutes ago, y_unit265 said:

To remove your gpu/heatsink, you don't need to be tech savy. ;) Watch some videos on it. It is as easy as counting down from 27. (No idea why i picked 27.) You could also fill up any empty spaces in your case by using some boxes or packing materials. (for example the boxes your components came in)

I'm still terrified of breaking something in the process. Would it be enough to fill empty spaces with bubble wrap? Also would it help to lay the computer on it's side so the motherboard is in the bottom?

If you aren't transporting it too far, you can easily not remove anything and just transport it horizontally. this way you have everything weighing down directly onto the motherboard rather than it trying to sheet itself off at its thinnest or weakest point. But everyone in this thread is right. removing a heavy component like a GPU is REALLY easy. as easy as unplugging a cord from the wall.

If you can lay your case on it's side, weight shouldn't be an issue.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

If you aren't transporting it too far, you can easily not remove anything and just transport it horizontally. this way you have everything weighing down directly onto the motherboard rather than it trying to sheet itself off at its thinnest or weakest point. But everyone in this thread is right. removing a heavy component like a GPU is REALLY easy. as easy as unplugging a cord from the wall.

As I mentioned I am going pretty far (9 hours across country, some of the roads are pretty bumby as well). Might be able to remove the GPU but I think the heatsink will be harder. Might need professional help to remove it in the first place.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you can lay your case on it's side, weight shouldn't be an issue.

That's no issue, I'm driving a Ford Transit. Bumby roads are the real enemy.

1 minute ago, Keyune said:

That's no issue, I'm driving a Ford Transit. Bumby roads are the real enemy.

Make sure the case is secure and won't fly around in the car. Something else you can do to keep things in place is to fill up the gaps inside of the case with crumpled newspaper to prevent anything from shifting around.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Ah... mybad, didn't see that part. the smartest and best way to do this would be to take out your GPU and heatsink. IF that's not at all possible, stuff something like bubble wrap in there nice and tight. Also, put your entire tower back in its original tower container/cardboard box, and use its original packing material to pad it (or something better if that is available to you)

But for real. taking out a GPU is as easy as unplugging it, and taking off a heatsink is as easy as unscrewing it. to put them back in, just reverse the process. I could even give you a detailed walkthrough if you can't find one on youtube, but its VERY easy to do.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Make sure the case is secure and won't fly around in the car. Something else you can do to keep things in place is to fill up the gaps inside of the case with crumpled newspaper to prevent anything from shifting around.

The computer will be in its original Fractal Design box with foam paddings. I'll also secure the box with straps in the car so it lays still. Could bubblewrap inside the case be an idea to protect components? At least the heatsink? Might still remove my GTX1080 for security measures.

4 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Ah... mybad, didn't see that part. the smartest and best way to do this would be to take out your GPU and heatsink. IF that's not at all possible, stuff something like bubble wrap in there nice and tight. Also, put your entire tower back in its original tower container/cardboard box, and use its original packing material to pad it (or something better if that is available to you)

But for real. taking out a GPU is as easy as unplugging it, and taking off a heatsink is as easy as unscrewing it. to put them back in, just reverse the process. I could even give you a detailed walkthrough if you can't find one on youtube, but its VERY easy to do.

If you have any detailed tutorials to share, please give me the links. Asus Z170-A mobo, Noctua NH-D15 cpu cooler, MSi GTX1080. I'd prefer travelling with these parts removed as well, so I'm going to do my best. If I need a professional to put the heatsink back, so be it I guess.

PS: does anybody know if my mobo is strong enough to support this heatsink in the first place? I wouldn't be too happy if it caused my Skylake or mobo to bend.

6 minutes ago, Keyune said:

The computer will be in its original Fractal Design box with foam paddings. I'll also secure the box with straps in the car so it lays still. Could bubblewrap inside the case be an idea to protect components? At least the heatsink? Might still remove my GTX1080 for security measures.

Bubblewrap could work but I would use crumpled paper to avoid static buildup. It's to prevent components from moving around. 

4 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Bubblewrap could work but I would use crumpled paper to avoid static buildup. It's to prevent components from moving around. 

That makes sense. How about ink rubbing off on sensitive components though? I might just be paranoid now, haha.

1 minute ago, Keyune said:

I might just be paranoid now, haha.

tumblr_mbfpeq9tVG1qzqdem.gif

Sooo...

Nobody answered on the question if I can even have this cooler, so I'm going to take that as a yes? And when it comes to travelling - I'll but my rig in it's original padding and box. I'll support the heatsink with newspapers and it will probably be okay? I'll remove the GPU though because it is ~expensive~. Do you guys think this will be fine? What is the worst that can happen to the heatsink? Sorry for a lot of questions, I'm just very good at worrying and not knowing stuff. (:

37 minutes ago, Keyune said:

Sooo...

Nobody answered on the question if I can even have this cooler, so I'm going to take that as a yes? And when it comes to travelling - I'll but my rig in it's original padding and box. I'll support the heatsink with newspapers and it will probably be okay? I'll remove the GPU though because it is ~expensive~. Do you guys think this will be fine? What is the worst that can happen to the heatsink? Sorry for a lot of questions, I'm just very good at worrying and not knowing stuff. (:

Weight isn't an issue outside of travelling. The mounting hardware is there to distribute the weight of the cooler across the board.

What you're doing should be fine. Taking out the graphics isn't necessary if you're just laying the system on its side and filling it with newspapers. 

2 hours ago, Keyune said:

I wouldn't be too happy if it caused my Skylake or mobo to bend

That only happens when you transport computers with these heavy coolers with the computer upright, especially when bumpy roads are involved, but we've already established your intention to move it on its side so no big worries. I hate the idea of transporting a computer with a large heatsink installed, but shouldn't be a huge worry, as said use something that doesn't risk building static to keep those sensitive electronics safe, and use the anti static bag the 1080 came in and pack it someplace safely separate from the computer

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Thank you all for very useful input! You have made this a lot easier for me.