Adding custom heat pipe to my laptop for better air cooling the chipset, need advice

urexyvca

So I have this laptop that has it's chipset passively cooled. The problem is that, the chipset is located on the other side of the board, right under where I put my wrist when I'm playing games and using WASD keys. And since it's summer, it gets insanely hot and distracting, right now as I'm writing this, it's 2:47 AM and 27 C temperature in the room I'm in. To make you guys understand, I'm gonna have to say that this is really distracting me, and affecting me by making me play bad (not really I'm just a noob but you get the point, it's irritating).
Here's a picture to give you an idea how it works.

FgHRN0q.jpg

I've tried to come up with couple of solutions, for example:
playing on external keyboard - but I have to move my laptop away from me to the point where I can't see anything because I have really bad myopia. And I don't wanna wear glasses because it hurts my eyes when using a computer. and I also don't have an external screen I can use.
putting something over that area - but it just keeps getting hot.

and finally, adding a custom heatpipe. I got that heatpipe from another laptop that's dead right now.

Luckily, my laptop is designed in a way that I can easily remove the back cover and have access to most of the components, like RAM, SSD, heatsink, Fan, CPU, GPU, optical drive, WLAN and WWAN cards. What I can't directly access is the chipset but I can put a small heatpipe without completely dissembling it.

Well, I did that but obviously it wasn't a fullproof way, for example, the pipe was held by the pressure between the plastic and the chipset heat plate and it wasn't making a good contact with the chipset plate. While the pipe did get hot, I think the heat came from the GPU.

I need your advice guys, what do I do?
Any ideas how to attach that heatpipe properly to transfer heat from my chipset to the main pipe and dissipate it? I can open up my laptop completely for to do this.
do you think this is risky?

any other solutions?

here are the pictures to give you a basic idea of the design of my laptop. It's HP ProBook 4540s.

aAKzFtj.jpg

iIZwkCc.jpg

you could just get an external keyboard and mouse

you wont get rid of the heat with more heat pipes you can also add a fan underneath and make sure you keep your pc clean

5 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

you could just get an external keyboard and mouse

you wont get rid of the heat with more heat pipes you can also add a fan underneath and make sure you keep your pc clean

Please read the full post, I can't see the screen if I add external keyboard because I have to push the laptop away and I have a terribly eyesight. I just want that pipe to transfer the heat from chipset to the cooler that can dissipate it. And yes my PC is 100% clean

7 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

just blow a fan on the keyboard 

last time I tried putting a fan near me, few days ago actually, I got a fever.

7 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

you could just get an external keyboard and mouse.

the issue is that the heat pipes are built in the the heat spreader adding an additional heat pipe on-top will just add bulk and you will still get heat in the area.  Your better off going out and buying an external monitor. 

8 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

Lay something flat over your laptop keyboard and put an external keyboard over that so it doesn't press down?

excellent idea, if I find something flat that is.

6 minutes ago, Trevor87 said:

Try get a fan laptop stand that should drop your temp. 

a bit expensive solution but should work

30 minutes ago, Kyuunex said:

last time I tried putting a fan near me, few days ago actually, I got a fever.

Pfft what are you, a japanese school girl or something? K-On for life

Maybe you could try to bend the heat pipe a little so that it lays flat onto the other heatpipe and apply a small drop of thermal paste in between? It doesn't look like it's quite flat and heat transfer through air is just not going to work. Also, how's the contact on the chipset? If it's not laid flat you're not going to be taking much heat off of there either

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

1 hour ago, Kyuunex said:

excellent idea, if I find something flat that is.

Even cardboard would work :P

1 hour ago, Kyuunex said:

a bit expensive solution but should work

Can confirm some of these help a lot

1 hour ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

Pfft what are you, a japanese school girl or something? K-On for life

Just an anime fanboy :Dwhich reminds me I should re-watch K-on... it's been a while...

1 hour ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

Maybe you could try to bend the heat pipe a little so that it lays flat onto the other heatpipe and apply a small drop of thermal paste in between? It doesn't look like it's quite flat and heat transfer through air is just not going to work. Also, how's the contact on the chipset? If it's not laid flat you're not going to be taking much heat off of there either

Exactly, what I was thinking, I doubt the heatpipe was laid flat on the chipset heatplate. Only way to make sure it is is to open up the laptop, and bend it so it's 100% perfect, same for the contact with another heatpipe. But the problem is holding that pipe in place, something tells me that holding it using the pressure between the chipset heatplate and the pastic is a bad idea, as it could heat up, melt (maybe not), move around, make a short circuit with some components and kill my laptop, so I need a 100% reliable way to keep that heatpipe in place. I don't have a welding equipment, even if I did, I'm gonna have to remove that heatplate and heatsink so I don't fry my montherboard and make sure I measure everything right so it fits when I put it back. I need a reliable way, to keep everything in place so even the heat can't ruin the attachment.

11 hours ago, Kyuunex said:

Just an anime fanboy :Dwhich reminds me I should re-watch K-on... it's been a while...

Exactly, what I was thinking, I doubt the heatpipe was laid flat on the chipset heatplate. Only way to make sure it is is to open up the laptop, and bend it so it's 100% perfect, same for the contact with another heatpipe. But the problem is holding that pipe in place, something tells me that holding it using the pressure between the chipset heatplate and the pastic is a bad idea, as it could heat up, melt (maybe not), move around, make a short circuit with some components and kill my laptop, so I need a 100% reliable way to keep that heatpipe in place. I don't have a welding equipment, even if I did, I'm gonna have to remove that heatplate and heatsink so I don't fry my montherboard and make sure I measure everything right so it fits when I put it back. I need a reliable way, to keep everything in place so even the heat can't ruin the attachment.

Violet Evergarden hype!

I think the way to do it is to take out the heat pipe, measure the height difference (with calipers for precision, preferably) and then bend it outside of the laptop, then put it back in.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.