What would happen if I left my PC on doing tasks 24/7?

Crazie_Flash

Situation: I have an Intel Core i7 5820K, and I decide to run a Minecraft server all night, every night, all day, everyday, so basically 24/7. Would this have any huge impact on the lifetime of said 5820K, or would it make that much of a difference from not running the server 24/7? What if I overclocked the CPU and ran the server 24/7, then what?

4 minutes ago, Crazie_Flash said:

Situation: I have an Intel Core i7 5820K, and I decide to run a Minecraft server all night, every night, all day, everyday, so basically 24/7. Would this have any huge impact on the lifetime of said 5820K, or would it make that much of a difference from not running the server 24/7? What if I overclocked the CPU and ran the server 24/7, then what?

1. No.

2. If overclocked to dangerous heat levels then possibly, but as long as your voltage isn't stupidly high and everything is cool enough then you're unlikely to see any permanent degradation.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I think the only shock you'll get is in the power bill, why not just purchase a dedicated server? You can't be dealing with many players on a home connection that would need an overclocked CPU.

Edit: Not sure what's funny about the post, I'm sure your home connection will be a bigger bottleneck than your CPU if running a MC server. 

Seems like overkill for a minecraft server. It will run fine though. As @CHarrisMedia said, your bottleneck will likely be your network connection and the frustrations of dealing with a dynamic ip. You could use something like dyndns.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

35 minutes ago, Crazie_Flash said:

It depends on your cooling system you should try monitor ur pc temp and judge urself