Installing A New Drive

8-Bit Ninja

Might be a stupid question, i currently have 1 1TB WD Black drive that i use for storing games etc... However due to me finding G2a and steam summer sales i'm down to about 100GB of free space. So my question is when i install my second 1TB WD Black what do i do. I understand you would but them in raid 0, but how the drives level out in terms of the of data stored on them. Basically when i install my second drive surley one would have 950+GB of storage and the other one would have 100GB or less. 

RAID 0 is meant to make the drives faster BUT it's unreliable and it takes time to initialize the raid array each time you boot, just plug your new drive into the PC and create a steam library folder in the new one :P

Sorry for Bad English, Baguette here 

STENDHAL: CPU: i5 6600K | MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Ranger | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz | Case: CM HAF XB | Storage: Kingston UV400 240GB SSD + 750GB WD Blue | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212X | PSU: Corsair RM750X

2 minutes ago, BbsMentos said:

RAID 0 is meant to make the drives faster BUT it's unreliable and it takes time to initialize the raid array each time you boot, just plug your new drive into the PC and create a steam library folder in the new one :P

So use one of the drives just for steam games, and then the other for everything else?

42 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Might be a stupid question, i currently have 1 1TB WD Black drive that i use for storing games etc... However due to me finding G2a and steam summer sales i'm down to about 100GB of free space. So my question is when i install my second 1TB WD Black what do i do. I understand you would but them in raid 0, but how the drives level out in terms of the of data stored on them. Basically when i install my second drive surley one would have 950+GB of storage and the other one would have 100GB or less. 

Hi @8-Bit Ninja!

It's not necessary to create a RAID if you have more than one drive in your PC - you can set them up as two separate storage locations, meaning that indeed you can use one drive for games and the other for mass storage data (game saves, films, music, etc.).

However, if you decide to create an array at some point do have in mind that all the drives included have to be formatted first, which means that all the data will be removed.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have. :)

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/