Upgrade to i7-4790k?

So i know a guy that is selling a I7-4790k for around 150 bucks is worth buying for that price?

Watches and computers                    

2 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

So i know a guy that is selling a I7-4790k for around 150 bucks is worth buying for that price?

I would think so, but you will need to upgrade your motherboard to take full advantage of it if you plan on using your current signature rig. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

I would think so, but you will need to upgrade your motherboard to take full advantage of it if you plan on using your current signature rig. 

what do you mean by "full advantage"?

Watches and computers                    

what do you mean by "full advantage"?

4790k is overclockable but not with your Mobo.

Spoiler

SANIK. The fastest PC alive. My main PC. CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.8 GHz | Mobo MSI B350M Gaming Pro | RAM 8GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 2666MHz | GPU GIGABYTE GTX 970 4GB (GV-N970TTOC-4GD) | Case Zalman Z3 Plus Black | SSD Kingston HyperX Fury 2.5'' 120GB SATA3 | HDD Toshiba P300 1TB 7200RPM | PSU Fortron FSP500-60HHN | Monitor Philips 226VL (1920x1080@60Hz) | Keyboard Logitech G19s | Mouse Logitech G400s | Headset Gamescom 780 7.1 | OS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Spoiler

SREVER. Mainly a CSGO and TS3 server. Sometimes used for gaming. CPU Intel Xeon E5430 | Mobo ECS-G31T-M7 | RAM 2x 2GB DDR2 | GPU Nvidia GTX 550ti 1GB GDDR5 | Case Shitty | HDD 1 Toshiba 500GB SATA | HDD 2 Random 80GB SATA | PSU Random 420w | OS Ubuntu 16.04

1 minute ago, RosBoss said:

4790k is overclockable but not with your Mobo.

What mobo should i get? can u guys recommend one?

Watches and computers                    

1 minute ago, smiles rising said:

What mobo should i get? can u guys recommend one?

Any Z97 board is what you will need. You can pick from your preference of color, features, brand, etc... 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

Any Z97 board is what you will need. You can pick from your preference of color, features, brand, etc... 

is there any perticular brand that is good? i kinda just want something.. i have a white case so if it could match then that would be great..

Watches and computers                    

9 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

is there any perticular brand that is good? i kinda just want something.. i have a white case so if it could match then that would be great..

Have a look at the MSI Z97 SLI Krait board. 

You don't really need a new mobo, you can use the i7 with the mobo you have right now, but you won't be able to overclock. The i7 is a big upgrade from the i5 4440, higher clock speeds and hyperthreading helps a lot

4 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

Also, you will want to invest in a good cooler for overclocking.

water cooler or air?

Watches and computers                    

water cooler or air?

It depends on what water/air cooler. I would recommend a Corsair H110i GTX or a be qiute! Dark Rock Pro 3.

2 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

It depends on what water/air cooler. I would recommend a Corsair H110i GTX or a be qiute! Dark Rock Pro 3.

for a watercooler i need space for radiator right? should i put it on the top of my case if i get a watercooler

Watches and computers                    

for a watercooler i need space for radiator right? should i put it on the top of my case if i get a watercooler

You put it on the inside of your case usually in the top part of it there should be a place for a radiator. What case do you have?

2 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

You put it on the inside of your case usually in the top part of it there should be a place for a radiator. What case do you have?

h440w i tihnk its called

Watches and computers                    

1 minute ago, mikat said:

yes the cpu is worth it, and what's your total budget for this upgrade?

i have 700 bucks to spend on whatever i want but maybe not all on my pc.. lets say a budget for 400-500 bucks

Watches and computers                    

3 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

i have 700 bucks to spend on whatever i want but maybe not all on my pc.. lets say a budget for 400-500 bucks

get a beefy cooler (have to go rn, others can recommend you one, 80-100$), msi z97 krait and the i7-4790k

49 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

If you buy the i7 and a new motherboard, or just the i7 i would be interested in buying the i5 if you're selling it or even willing to give it away.

1 minute ago, Mejder said:

If you buy the i7 and a new motherboard, or just the i7 i would be interested in buying the i5 if you're selling it or even willing to give it away.

And the old motherboard if your giving away / selling the whole thing.

2 minutes ago, Mejder said:

i live in sweden so it will be difficult if you live far away

Watches and computers                    

3 hours ago, smiles rising said:

h440w i tihnk its called

Get the 4790k now, I personally don't seen spending an extra $100 ( if you get say the Z97 Krait ( MSI ) and Cryorig M9i which is completely capable of keeping temps cool and getting a 4.5GHz OC ) or even upwards of $180 if you get an AIO ( say an NZXT x61 Kraken ).

Just get the 4790k, if you want more performance go ahead and spend the extra $100-$180 but as of now, I wouldn't bother. You already have a motherboard and overclocking isn't THAT big of a deal anyways unless you are some MLG PCMASTERRACE GOD.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

4 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Get the 4790k now, I personally don't seen spending an extra $100 ( if you get say the Z97 Krait ( MSI ) and Cryorig M9i which is completely capable of keeping temps cool and getting a 4.5GHz OC ) or even upwards of $180 if you get an AIO ( say an NZXT x61 Kraken ).

Just get the 4790k, if you want more performance go ahead and spend the extra $100-$180 but as of now, I wouldn't bother. You already have a motherboard and overclocking isn't THAT big of a deal anyways unless you are some MLG PCMASTERRACE GOD.

i just thoguth of something.. my birthday is coming up so maybe i could ask my parents for some money or just wish for the parts on my birthday and hopefully get them..

Watches and computers