5820K + GTX 1070 vs 6700K + GTX 1080

Hey everyone,

I'm planning a new build and I'm indecisive between these two options, I'm going to do video and photo editing but also some 4k gaming, would I be better off getting the better videocard (Premiere Pro uses CUDA acceleration) and the lesser cpu or the other way around?

Thanks!

-Gijs

For 4K gaming, you want the 1080. But you still should get the 5820k as it's faster and on a higher-end chipset.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I reckon the i7 6700K should handle video and photo editing relatively fine. Go for the GTX 1080, although you'll still need to turn down some settings to achieve a constant 60 FPS.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

3 minutes ago, alphaproject said:

1070 is the better value if that matters.

Value doesn't really matter to me, the two options get to the same price (in my country)

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

For 4K gaming, you want the 1080. But you still should get the 5820k as it's faster and on a higher-end chipset.

Wouldn't the better CUDA performance, balance out the rendering times?

3 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

I reckon the i7 6700K should handle video and photo editing relatively fine. Go for the GTX 1080, although you'll need to turn dome some settings to achieve a constant 60 FPS.

I currently have a 5820K and a GTX 970, but I have a buyer for this system so I'm planning for the upgrade so I'm not pc-less for multiple weeks or days

2 minutes ago, Rickie cheong said:

5820k is still better than 6700k because of its extra cores,so you are golden

I know, but would the 1080 vs the 1070 balance out the rendering times because of the more and faster CUDA cores?

2 minutes ago, BelgiumCastGijs said:

Value doesn't really matter to me, the two options get to the same price (in my country)

Wouldn't the better CUDA performance, balance out the rendering times?

I'm not sure about editing, all I can tell you is related either to gaming performance or to value-for-money part of the dilemma, so gaming-wise, you won't feel a difference between the 6700K and 5820K, but the 5820K is more futureproof and is better value.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, BelgiumCastGijs said:

I know, but would the 1080 vs the 1070 balance out the rendering times because of the more and faster CUDA cores?

If the price of the 6700K + 1080 will be equal to the price of 5820K + 1070 system then get the first one.

I'm not sure about editing, all I can tell you is related either to gaming performance or to value-for-money part of the dilemma, so gaming-wise, you won't feel a difference between the 6700K and 5820K, but the 5820K is more futureproof and is better value.

I currently have the 5820K and love it( 4,5 Ghz) Maybe just save up a little bit more and get the 1080 and the 5820K ;-)

If the price of the 6700K + 1080 will be equal to the price of 5820K + 1070 system then get the first one.

I heard the 6700K is more than fine for video editing, Dimitry for HWC uses it too and he hasn't complained yet ;-) I'll give it a nights rest but thanks for the help and info!

6 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Small question, for a 5820K and a 1080 (STRIX) bot overclocked... would 760 watt be enough?

3 minutes ago, BelgiumCastGijs said:

Small question, for a 5820K and a 1080 (STRIX) bot overclocked... would 760 watt be enough?

Easily. It would suffice for two 1080s inside of that system.

7 minutes ago, BelgiumCastGijs said:

It should be considering that the GTX 1080 isn't actually that much of a power hungry GPU-even when overclocked. 650W for me managed to handle my i7 4790K (4.8GHz OC)+my GTX 970 and 650ti OC 2GB 24/7 with enough headroom to get an extra 50MHz on the GTX 970 (100MHz effective due to GPU boost) and 129MHz on the GTX 650ti.

Edit: the test load was F@H for about a week BTW

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, BelgiumCastGijs said:

Thanks man!

I would check on pcpartpicker if you want to know how many watts you need for your system in the future but Morgan Mlgman (lol) said its should be more than enough