Best Cpu For Games to max them all?

Hi, setting aside the gpu, which CPU is the best right now for gaming to max all settings ? Even the most demanding cpu-bound titles you may think of (I play black desert at the moment, I own a gtx980 but my cpu is old so I want  new build), I want to also be in all online games inside cities with people and run at 60fps if possible because now I dont (and its normal).

I am aiming only for heavy gaming and home applications, not anything too fancy rather than that (not heavy rendering or such but I am multitasking sometimes on my everyday life as everyone else I alt tab and such)

Please pair it with the best motherboard you could think of (DDR3 currently with great xtreme profile, I plan to keep it)

This is a future plan so thats why I ask, I have a pc now I just look for a new build and what I should use.

Thanks

With DDR3 a 4790k though it doesn't have a huge margin over it's i5 counterpart it is technically superior, budget wise i5s tend to be better price to performance since most of the i7s benefit is in other applications (but as I said there is slight improvement more or less depending on the game itself how much it will be)

For DDR4 it would be a 6700k which is a 5% ish boost to a 4790k (but you mentioned DDR3 so.. it would be easier to go haswell if you planned to keep the DDR3 memory if I'm understanding you correctly)

But as I eluded to a 6600k/4690k would be good enough in almost all cases just an fyi, but you asked for the "best"

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

i7 3770K  (DDR3) - Z77 board

i7 4790K  (DDR3) - Z97 board

i7 6700K  (DDR4) - Z170 board

i7 5820K  (DDR4) - X99 board

59 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

With DDR3 a 4790k though it doesn't have a huge margin over it's i5 counterpart it is technically superior, budget wise i5s tend to be better price to performance since most of the i7s benefit is in other applications (but as I said there is slight improvement more or less depending on the game itself how much it will be)

For DDR4 it would be a 6700k which is a 5% ish boost to a 4790k (but you mentioned DDR3 so.. it would be easier to go haswell if you planned to keep the DDR3 memory if I'm understanding you correctly)

But as I eluded to a 6600k/4690k would be good enough in almost all cases just an fyi, but you asked for the "best"

Are they locked to DDR3 ? If it is a little performance difference I am not as interested (like +1% r=or so) Now if for something it plays a big role then yes.

Lets run a simulation, if I had to play black desert on max, including high end mode, while inside a populated city and skype/discord on the background.

Would I have 60ish fps steady?

8 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

Are they locked to DDR3 ? If it is a little performance difference I am not as interested (like +1% r=or so) Now if for something it plays a big role then yes.

Lets run a simulation, if I had to play black desert on max, including high end mode, while inside a populated city and skype/discord on the background.

Would I have 60ish fps steady?

The 4790k is on a ddr3 only platform the 6700k is on a ddr4/ddr3 platform but all the good motherboards for it are setup for ddr4

As for how well a the chips would run while background programs are going, I can't say for the i5 chips but my cpu is never a limiting factor for my gaming (I have a 4790k and the 6700k is slightly better) to the point I can run whatever I want (skype file compression doesn't matter) and run 60fps at max, sometimes my 970 isn't up to the task for the graphics but yes you would not have an issue with the 4790k or the 6700k if you choose either. As for the 6600k and 4690k well I do not have either but they are not as good at multitasking

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 hour ago, AresKrieger said:

The 4790k is on a ddr3 only platform the 6700k is on a ddr4/ddr3 platform but all the good motherboards for it are setup for ddr4

As for how well a the chips would run while background programs are going, I can't say for the i5 chips but my cpu is never a limiting factor for my gaming (I have a 4790k and the 6700k is slightly better) to the point I can run whatever I want (skype file compression doesn't matter) and run 60fps at max, sometimes my 970 isn't up to the task for the graphics but yes you would not have an issue with the 4790k or the 6700k if you choose either. As for the 6600k and 4690k well I do not have either but they are not as good at multitasking

yeah I mean, both max settings and players loading around, in tera for example its a mess in cities, will I be able to max it?

Same for black desert, cities are a mess for my fps right now, will I be able to max it, 60fps etc.?

I would prefer to keep the ddr3 for now, changing motherboard with the new rams wont be as costly as a new cpu.

Yeah I am looking for the best, so you suggest 6700k from what I can understand.

58 minutes ago, Humble_newbie said:

Any quad core with hyper threading on intel side will do just fine. 

Nope. Not any.

I will be more game focused than CAD or anything, I am a home user, advanced user but still a user. Not a studio production or anything.

1 minute ago, TwinDenis said:

yeah I mean, both max settings and players loading around, in tera for example its a mess in cities, will I be able to max it?

Same for black desert, cities are a mess for my fps right now, will I be able to max it, 60fps etc.?

I would prefer to keep the ddr3 for now, changing motherboard with the new rams wont be as costly as a new cpu.

Yeah I am looking for the best, so you suggest 6700k from what I can understand.

The 6700k is good so is the 4790k I suggest you get one or the other it really doesn't matter which, the 6700k will just have a slight bump in performance, if you want to keep the ddr3 then get a 4790k, as for your question about black desert I honestly don't know what that is but if these cpus can't suffice I doubt any will since most games can only use 4 cores anyway and these are the best quad core available anywhere.

58 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

The 6700k is good so is the 4790k I suggest you get one or the other it really doesn't matter which, the 6700k will just have a slight bump in performance, if you want to keep the ddr3 then get a 4790k, as for your question about black desert I honestly don't know what that is but if these cpus can't suffice I doubt any will since most games can only use 4 cores anyway and these are the best quad core available anywhere.

I see, thanks, so if I want to keep my ddr3 and want the best you suggest the 4790k, why not the 6700k though? Since a good motherboard should do the trick.

If I can, which one should I pair it with?

I see, thanks, so if I want to keep my ddr3 and want the best you suggest the 4790k, why not the 6700k though? Since a good motherboard should do the trick.

If I can, which one should I pair it with?

The only motherboards that support ddr3 for the 6700k, don't support standard ddr3 and use ddr3L and/or  are not very good and don't support overclocking, If you wish to keep your ddr3 ram then the 4790k is really the best option with a z97 motherboard, if you are alright with using new ram then the 6700k is better but it's only a small margin (about 5%), it would use ddr4 and a z170 motherboard, hopefully I was helpful but I really can't explain this any better if not.

58 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

The only motherboards that support ddr3 for the 6700k, don't support standard ddr3 and use ddr3L and/or  are not very good and don't support overclocking, If you wish to keep your ddr3 ram then the 4790k is really the best option with a z97 motherboard, if you are alright with using new ram then the 6700k is better but it's only a small margin (about 5%), it would use ddr4 and a z170 motherboard, hopefully I was helpful but I really can't explain this any better if not.

And what if I didnt want to keep ddr3 and needed another ram?

Whats your best suggestion?

inclu costs, this time add my parts from my current pc (see profile) that could be used along with the new system, since I want to split it into a workstation again.

No.

Sorry... I have a 4690k and I have never found it to bottleneck anything with games... If that helps

58 minutes ago, jwally40 said:

Sorry... I have a 4690k and I have never found it to bottleneck anything with games... If that helps

Yes.

58 minutes ago, jwally40 said:

Also, did you try these online games mentioned above with 60fps in cities?

3 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

Also, did you try these online games mentioned above with 60fps in cities?

Not personally, but the thing is a beast... It performs way better than my old 6300... you can also find it for *cheap* on ebay... more or less

59 minutes ago, jwally40 said:

Not personally, but the thing is a beast... It performs way better than my old 6300... you can also find it for *cheap* on ebay... more or less

Well... well.... hmm...

Yeah...well... I dont know :P

Maybe. Yeah it is a beast from what I read about it. I guess there is not much of a difference with the newest models.

But the price for my locals is way higher (400) so yeah...

I better off just buy new rams etc.

Anyway.

We look for  a bundle here.