overclocking my intel i5 6600k

Go to solution Solved by Crusader93,
10 minutes ago, TimBoBaggins said:

ok, well in all honestly it never really goes over 70% using the in game setting i play with. currently i am using the in built intel hd 530 graphics. (to say they are not too great woud be an understatement)~ BUT i am going to buy the AMD rx 480 on or near release and will defiantly consider the aftermarket cards

If you are below 70% work rate, there is no reason whatsoever to overclock. By all means, you can if you want to, but it is not necessary at all. I suggest you get yourself a graphics card xD

Gtx 970 and such cards should be cheap on the "used market" right now, so you can always buy one of those.

Set the ingame settings to what you want it to be, and see how the cpu performs. If it is often above 80%, an overclock is not a bad idea.

should i overclock???  

7 members have voted

1. 1. should i overclock???

• yes, go for it!
    • NO! it's a TRAP!

guys, i built my pc, i am very proud of it. my 2nd pc to own and first to build c: it is a great feeling. like really expensive legos.

due to me having only built the one pc you will probably be able to guess that i don't have the intelligence to overclock my cpu. and being on a budget where i won' be a blt to replace any parts i am a little scared of doing any permanent damage to the pc.

my specs are:

CPU: intel i5 6600k 3.5ghz with 3.9ghz turbo clock

Mobo: msi b150 gaming m3

ram: kingston hyper x fury 4gb (2x4) ddr4

psu has pleanty left of power for an overclock.

i am curious as to if anyone who is familiar with the msi bios and has experience overclocking could help me out. i watched a video of a guy with the same cpu but but a different motherboard still made by msi with the same bios. he set the cpu voltage at +125 or something along those lines (i will fin the video again for more accurate details) and then set the core ratio to 42 so it was 4.2 ghz. is this all i need to do or is there a complex of other things that i am unaware of. 

thanks -Tim

go ahead and overclock it, but you can't because you need a Z170 board.

Spoiler

My computers as of 2017/03

My Old PC

Spoiler

Dell Vostro 260 $150 2010

CPU: i3-2120@3.3Ghz, GPU: Intel HD Graphics 2000, ATI Radeon X1300, RAM: 4GB Axevir Budget Series, SSD: 240GB Radeon R7, HDD: random 250GB and random 160 GB, CASE: Crap from Dell, OS: Windows 7 Enterprise

My Current PC

Spoiler

Custom Build $1200 2016

CPU: i5-6600k@3.6Ghz, GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury, RAM: 16GB Geil EVO X, SSD: 240GB Radeon R7, HDD: Hitachi 500GB, CASE: Deepcool Kendomen, OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Laptop

Spoiler

ASUS F8S $1150 2008

CPU: Core 2 Duo T7500, GPU: ATI 2400 Mobility, RAM: 8GB Mushkins, SSHD: 1TB Seagate Hybrid Drive, OS: Windows 7 Ultimate N and Windows 10 Professional

HTPC

Spoiler

MSi Cubi $200 2016

CPU: Pentium 3805u@1.9Ghz, GPU: Intel HD, RAM: 4GB Crucial DDR3L, SSD: 120GB Radeon R7

Other Laptop

Spoiler

HP 2210b $400 2009

CPU: Core 2 Duo T8100@2.1Ghz, GPU: Intel GM965, RAM: 2GB Hynix, HDD: Hitachi 160GB, OS: Linux Mint 17.3 and Lubuntu

*All Prices in the Canadian Dollar

Hi,

I did some minor research on youre mobo after seeing it was a B type not Z type.

This link:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2880342/6600k-overclocking-msi-b150.html

will tell you that the mobo is not designed for overclocking. The person says ' So the answer is no, bios won't allow OC on a B board. '

Maybe im wrong but here is what I found! 

I believe the comment above is somewhat harsh. Don't worry, we aren't all like them! :P

34 minutes ago, alexjt11 said:

Hi,

I did some minor research on youre mobo after seeing it was a B type not Z type.

This link:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2880342/6600k-overclocking-msi-b150.html

will tell you that the mobo is not designed for overclocking. The person says ' So the answer is no, bios won't allow OC on a B board. '

I believe the comment above is somewhat harsh. Don't worry, we aren't all like them! :P

I am just saying, you can't overclock an Intel cpu unless you have an Z chipset motherboard. 

Spoiler

My Old PC

Spoiler

CPU: i3-2120@3.3Ghz, GPU: Intel HD Graphics 2000, ATI Radeon X1300, RAM: 4GB Axevir Budget Series, SSD: 240GB Radeon R7, HDD: random 250GB and random 160 GB, CASE: Crap from Dell, OS: Windows 7 Enterprise

My Current PC

Spoiler

Custom Build $1200 2016

CPU: i5-6600k@3.6Ghz, GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury, RAM: 16GB Geil EVO X, SSD: 240GB Radeon R7, HDD: Hitachi 500GB, CASE: Deepcool Kendomen, OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Laptop

Spoiler

ASUS F8S $1150 2008

CPU: Core 2 Duo T7500, GPU: ATI 2400 Mobility, RAM: 8GB Mushkins, SSHD: 1TB Seagate Hybrid Drive, OS: Windows 7 Ultimate N and Windows 10 Professional

HTPC

Spoiler

MSi Cubi $200 2016

CPU: Pentium 3805u@1.9Ghz, GPU: Intel HD, RAM: 4GB Crucial DDR3L, SSD: 120GB Radeon R7

Other Laptop

Spoiler

HP 2210b $400 2009

CPU: Core 2 Duo T8100@2.1Ghz, GPU: Intel GM965, RAM: 2GB Hynix, HDD: Hitachi 160GB, OS: Linux Mint 17.3 and Lubuntu

3 minutes ago, Hydraxiler32 said:

I am just saying, you can't overclock an Intel cpu unless you have an Z chipset motherboard. 

Now you say it in a less patronizing way!

My rule of thumb, run the system stock for a while, then overclock. If you run into instability while in stock settings, it's for sure ain't going to be stable overclocked.
The board does seem to have overclocking enabled according to MSI's website. Go into the BIOS and see if it allows you to change the CPU Ratio.

https://ca.msi.com/Motherboard/B150-GAMING-M3.html#hero-overview

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

28 minutes ago, alexjt11 said:

Hi,

This link:

23 minutes ago, Hydraxiler32 said:

in the bios all the options i need are there for me to overclock and i have complete controll of the ratios and voltage etc. or are these 'just there' for looks or to decieve me lol and that is the first i heard of only z type mobo's strange they would do that and still include the overclocking features on the b series and the bios that is released for it if you physically cant do it.

30 minutes ago, TimBoBaggins said:

in the bios all the options i need are there for me to overclock and i have complete controll of the ratios and voltage etc. or are these 'just there' for looks or to decieve me lol and that is the first i heard of only z type mobo's strange they would do that and still include the overclocking features on the b series and the bios that is released for it if you physically cant do it.

The chipset itself doesn't allow overclocking.

Spoiler

My Old PC

Spoiler

My Current PC

Spoiler

Custom Build $1200 2016

Laptop

Spoiler

ASUS F8S $1150 2008

HTPC

Spoiler

MSi Cubi $200 2016

Other Laptop

Spoiler

HP 2210b $400 2009

5 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

My rule of thumb, run the system stock for a while, then overclock. If you run into instability while in stock settings, it's for sure ain't going to be stable overclocked.
The board does seem to have overclocking enabled according to MSI's website. Go into the BIOS and see if it allows you to change the CPU Ratio.

https://ca.msi.com/Motherboard/B150-GAMING-M3.html#hero-overview

it does. my local pc shop said it can but it isnt great for massive oc. i am sure 4.2 wouldn't be too bad. read an article of one guy doing it and his rig was stable at 4.2 (different mobo)

9 minutes ago, TimBoBaggins said:

it does. my local pc shop said it can but it isnt great for massive oc. i am sure 4.2 wouldn't be too bad. read an article of one guy doing it and his rig was stable at 4.2 (different mobo)

Go for it then. As I said before, see if it's stable stock first, then overclock.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

just to further show i have acces to oc controlls here are some images i took of my bios. you can see the 'OC' menue. i click tahat and it brings up the list shown in the next two images. i have access and can change all of these options (yes those are two rows of dead pixels,yes they annoy me,  yes that is a tv screen, yes it is nine years old) 

bios 1.jpg

bios 3.jpg

bios 2.jpg

Just be careful. I haven't heard of people overclocking on B series mobos. Maybe they use the same bios across the B and Z mobos, so its just going to be the same, maybe? Also there might be a difference in the power phases, and other parts for overclocking. Just please be careful and dont push it!

ok, could you clarify for me if it is only the core ratio and the voltage i need to change though?

You should use Msi afterburner to check your CPU's work rate before overclocking. If the cpu is below 80% load in every game you play, while your gpu is at 99%, there is no reason to overclock it(assuming you are using the computer for gaming). For gaming, you should only overclock if the CPU is bottlenecking your graphics card. If the CPU is not a bottleneck, do not overclock, then IT'S A TRAP.

Intel Core i7 6700K@4,3GHz - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 - Evga SuperNova 750W PSU - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD - Gainward GTX 1080 GS - BenQ xl2411T 144hz - Cooler Master Haf-X Big Tower Nvidia Edition

2 minutes ago, Crusader93 said:

You should use Msi afterburner to check your CPU's work rate before overclocking. If the cpu is below 80% load in every game you play, while your gpu is at 99%, there is no reason to overclock it(assuming you are using the computer for gaming). For gaming, you should only overclock if the CPU is bottlenecking your graphics card. If the CPU is not a bottleneck, do not overclock, then IT'S A TRAP.

ok, well in all honestly it never really goes over 70% using the in game setting i play with. currently i am using the in built intel hd 530 graphics. (to say they are not too great woud be an understatement)~ BUT i am going to buy the AMD rx 480 on or near release and will defiantly consider the aftermarket cards

10 minutes ago, TimBoBaggins said:

If you are below 70% work rate, there is no reason whatsoever to overclock. By all means, you can if you want to, but it is not necessary at all. I suggest you get yourself a graphics card xD

Gtx 970 and such cards should be cheap on the "used market" right now, so you can always buy one of those.

Set the ingame settings to what you want it to be, and see how the cpu performs. If it is often above 80%, an overclock is not a bad idea.

Intel Core i7 6700K@4,3GHz - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 - Evga SuperNova 750W PSU - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD - Gainward GTX 1080 GS - BenQ xl2411T 144hz - Cooler Master Haf-X Big Tower Nvidia Edition