Question: Has anyone ever seen a build with the sleeving be pure heatshrink? From connector to connector?

Hi guys,

[insert Title]

I ask this because I am curious as I think it would look pretty cool. Although, I figure a possible reason people would not want to do it is so that when the wires bend, the heatshrink doesn't tear or crease, or wtv. 

Just curious.

Thanks,
Vitalius

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Believe me, do not do that. The gaps between the shrinks look horrible. I don't have the pics on me, but trust me, don't. Also, it's a nightmare to get it to bend to that perfect curve you need.

Edit: My bad, I did a dumb. I was referring to pre-cut heatshrink that I had laying around. But anyway, now that I read it again, I'm not sure. It might actually work.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

I have never seen a computer with this, but I did shield the wires going to the rear light of my ride with it. It was kinda problematic getting the flimsy wires trough the heatshrink but it looked good though

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

The only problem I can see, is if the heatshrink would warp over time, due to the heat in the case and the long run of the heatshrink. And heatshrink is not that great at bending and being flexible as the wires probably need to be. But it could look pretty awesome if you could get UV reactive heatshrink. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Believe me, do not do that. The gaps between the shrinks look horrible. I don't have the pics on me, but trust me, don't.

Edit: Also, it's a nightmare to get it to bend to that perfect curve you need.

Gaps? What are you talking about? I would just get heatshrink that I would cut myself, but not cut it and use that. No gaps.

The only problem I can see, is if the heatshrink would warp over time, due to the heat in the case and the long run of the heatshrink. And heatshrink is not that great at bending and being flexible as the wires probably need to be. But it could look pretty awesome if you could get UV reactive heatshrink.

Yeah, that is what I figured.

What if I soaked the heatshrink in UV paint? ... That'd be interesting. It would probably fail horribly somehow when I heated up the heatshrink. Paint burning/cracking and such.

Still, cool idea.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Gaps? What are you talking about? I would just get heatshrink that I would cut myself, but not cut it and use that. No gaps.

Yep, there should be long enough strips of shrink that you can just cut when needed

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Believe me, do not do that. The gaps between the shrinks look horrible. I don't have the pics on me, but trust me, don't. Also, it's a nightmare to get it to bend to that perfect curve you need.

Edit: My bad, I did a dumb. I was referring to pre-cut heatshrink that I had laying around. But anyway, now that I read it again, I'm not sure. It might actually work.

trust him, he's an engineer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

Covering wire isolation with more isolation is useless. Not to mention a lot of work to shrink the heatshrink right without any bumps on the way and if you want to shrink only edges the cables will get fat and almost impossible to hide behind motherboard tray. Plus they are rubber and will attract heat and keep it inside the case.

heat-shrink-cable-sleeve-250x250.jpg

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

Covering wire isolation with more isolation is useless. Not to mention a lot of work to shrink the heatshrink right without any bumps on the way and if you want to shrink only edges the cables will get fat and almost impossible to hide behind motherboard tray. Plus they are rubber and will attract heat and keep it inside the case.

heat-shrink-cable-sleeve-250x250.jpg

That looks really cool.

And no, I meant to just use heatshrink as sleeving with no cloth/threaded sleeving at all. 

† Christian Member †

That looks really cool.

And no, I meant to just use heatshrink as sleeving with no cloth/threaded sleeving at all. 

And i answered it in that post.

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

I wouldn't recommend it, you'd end up with very stiff wires which would make any cable management extremely difficult. Can't imagine it'd look great either, but thats just me.

i have some cable and it worked out very well just be sure enough that the shrink ratio is good and that all the cables fit its not easy to get the last cable in it when its to tight.