Powering USB powered devices using mobile charger

Zameer

I have a miniature fish aquarium that draws power through USB port of computer to power the LEDs and the small water pump. But I have to keep my computer ON 24/7 for it to work. Will it be safe to power it thorough an android mobile phone charger? 

Below is the link for the Aquarium Fish Tank

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252383869347?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

4 minutes ago, Zameer said:

I have a miniature fish aquarium that draws power through USB port of computer to power the LEDs and the small water pump. But I have to keep my computer ON 24/7 for it to work. Will it be safe to power it thorough an android mobile phone charger? 

Below is the link for the Aquarium Fish Tank

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252383869347?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

if you enable usb charging in s5 in the bios it should still run you tank even with the computer off ass long as it's still plugged in.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

3 minutes ago, swordsman247 said:

if you enable usb charging in s5 in the bios it should still run you tank even with the computer off ass long as it's still plugged in.

Thanks, but can you tell me a little about S5 that you mentioned. I am not that knowledgeable in the field of computers

Yeah using usb wall adapters should be fine
additionally as mentioned earlier you can also check your motherboard bios to enable offline usb power

i know gigabyte supports it with "ON/OFF" charging

Photography / Finance / Gaming

1 minute ago, mok said:

additionally as mentioned earlier you can also check your motherboard bios to enable offline usb power

Thanks, I will check in the BIOS. I do have a gigabyte board the box says it has ON/OFF charge.

Just now, Zameer said:

Thanks, I will check in the BIOS. I do have a gigabyte board the box says it has ON/OFF charge.

Also check the motherboard specs /or the manual to see which specific usb ports would be usable for this feature.
For my motherboard the usb ports in the back i/o are in a different color
and one of the front panel usb headers on my motherboard is also labelled "on/off" 

2 minutes ago, Zameer said:

Thanks, but can you tell me a little about S5 that you mentioned. I am not that knowledgeable in the field of computers

It's a setting located in the bios, normally under power or usb sub headings in the advanced area. It lets you charge you phone or headphones or whatever while the pc is in the off state.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

5 minutes ago, Zameer said:

"S5 state" is usually just motherboard-code which means "soft off" (its a power state)

Different power states have different codes:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa373229(v=vs.85).aspx

11 minutes ago, mok said:

Thanks I just figured out. Now it is working. Thanks a lot for your help

9 minutes ago, swordsman247 said:

It's a setting located in the bios, normally under power or usb sub headings in the advanced area. It lets you charge you phone or headphones or whatever while the pc is in the off state.

Thanks I just figured out. Now it is working. Thanks a lot for your help