Upgrading from a 5820k to a Dual Xeon Build, Advice Appreciated!

2 minutes ago, Yankee42 said:

That sounds amazing!

So if I enable NUMA in the BIOS, my VM's will be isolated from each other even more?

Just checked the Z9PE-D8 WS has this.

If you enable NUMA and prevent VM's from spanning between NUMA nodes you will see performance increases in memory access as well as i higher level of isolation. Although the level of isolation is kind of a mute point in Hyper-v, ESXi, and Oracle hypervisor.

Capture.PNG

3 minutes ago, ENiX said:

If you enable NUMA and prevent VM's from spanning between NUMA nodes you will see performance increases in memory access as well as i higher level of isolation. Although the level of isolation is kind of a mute point in Hyper-v, ESXi, and Oracle hypervisor.

Capture.PNG

I had actually planned on using VirtualBox, does this work with that?

I use VirtualBox on my laptop for a Kali VM and I don't think it actually support this functionality. It might be part of I/O APCI though so I'm not sure.

1 minute ago, ENiX said:

I use VirtualBox on my laptop for a Kali VM and I don't think it actually support this functionality. It might be part of I/O APCI though so I'm not sure.

I'll have to look into it.

SO I plan on using this machine as my daily machine and gaming rig as well. Is VirtualBox good enough for networking labs and eventual pentesting? Is there something else I should be using?

I can't think of a technical reason why it wouldn't be sufficient and the reason I use it is because of its excellent terminal support with Linux VM's. Alto the only VM I use it for is Kali because i'm often copping data been that vm and the host. For all other systems I use SSH or MSRDP. Its for those systems I prefer ESXi 6.0 and Hyper-V as they have better memory compression and its alot easier to leave vm's running around the clock. For a lab i prefer Hyper-V because the system for checkpoints and restore points is amazing. Other that that I have a few ESXI 6.0 host in a cluster because that mimics what I use at work.

2 minutes ago, ENiX said:

I can't think of a technical reason why it wouldn't be sufficient and the reason I use it is because of its excellent terminal support with Linux VM's. Alto the only VM I use it for is Kali because i'm often copping data been that vm and the host. For all other systems I use SSH or MSRDP. Its for those systems I prefer ESXi 6.0 and Hyper-V as they have better memory compression and its alot easier to leave vm's running around the clock. For a lab i prefer Hyper-V because the system for checkpoints and restore points is amazing. Other that that I have a few ESXI 6.0 host in a cluster because that mimics what I use at work.

I won't be leaving any VMs on 24/7, most likely. Though this is great education, thanks so much, brotha.

1 minute ago, Yankee42 said:

I won't be leaving any VMs on 24/7, most likely. Though this is great education, thanks so much, brotha.

No problem. Best of luck.