How to setup audio like normal computer

Ok, so in normal computers that are pre built or laptops, when you connect headphones in, its automatically changes so that the sound goes through those and when disconnected it goes through out the speakers. Well I just built my pc and when the speakers and headphones are both plugged in at the same time, the only way for the audio to go through the headphones is if I change it through playback devices. Which is annoying since I switch between the 2 very frequently. Is their a way for the computer to know when to switch to headphones when plugged in?

This kind of functionality is usually provided by an audio suite that sits on top of or in lieu of the standard driver and provides jack detection. This feature generally is only available on certain motherboards.

A download for such software may be available at your motherboard manufacturer's website, e.g., Realtek HD Audio Manager and so on.

Laptops and all-in-ones have speakers and the 3.5mm jack configured as same audio device (same audio chip being used). In your case, they are two different sound devices (two audio chips).

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

This kind of functionality is usually provided by an audio suite that sits on top of or in lieu of the standard driver and provides jack detection. This feature generally is only available on certain motherboards.

A download for such software may be available at your motherboard manufacturer's website, e.g., Realtek HD Audio Manager and so on.

Thanks for the response, I have the Asus z97 Pro, but dont believe they have any programs for this. But Ill check again.

1 minute ago, jj9987 said:

Laptops and all-in-ones have speakers and the 3.5mm jack configured as same audio device (same audio chip being used). In your case, they are two different sound devices (two audio chips).

Hmmm, I do have a live gamer hd pcl that I think acts like an audio source, going to disconnect it and reboot and see if that works.

Where are the speakers connected and where are the headphones connected?

If you have them connected at the same time, then likely they are using different chips.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

4 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

Where are the speakers connected and where are the headphones connected?

If you have them connected at the same time, then likely they are using different chips.

the speakers are connected to the back of the case which is directly to the motherboard and the headphones are connected through my keyboard or through the front of my case which is also to the motherboard 

Mine does the same thing but I don't mide the 2 clicks required to switch the "default device" haha

For your motherboard (Asus Z97 Pro), you can download the Realtek HD audio drivers which would download an audio manager for you and do exactly what you desire. What would happen is when you connect your headphone to your audio jack, an option comes up to select what the input device is (headphone or front speaker out). This makes it much easier than going to the control panel and setting the default device each time.

You can download it here: https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/Z97PRO/HelpDesk_Download/

Select your OS, go to Audio, and download the Realtek Audio Driver.

Edited by Tazman192
Added more info

"The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

I personally use a program called SoundSwitch. It is very lightweight and just sits in the notification area of your taskbar. You set up which audio devices you'd like to switch from (your speakers and your headphones), and then left-click the icon. It will bring up a menu like in the image below, (except it will show more than one device; i dont have my speakers plugged in right now) and you click which one you want to switch to. It is very quick and easy to do. Hope this helps!

https://github.com/Belphemur/SoundSwitch/releases

ss (2016-06-21 at 09.45.46).png