[Suggestion] Old mid-to-high-end video card showdown

So I just had a thought while looking at new info about the rumoured GTX 1060: how much will it cost and what performance will it deliver for being the "X60" or mid-range NVIDIA card?

I then went back to when I was hunting for a card to put in my rig and the 700 series showed up with "greatly improved performance over previous gen", which was true of the jump from GTX 660 to GTX 760 (I picked the 760).

Fast forward a few years and the 600 and 700 series are now what the tech world denotes as "ancient". But just how ancient are they? Most are still good for gaming of course, they've just fallen out of fashion over time.

Concretely, I would like to suggest a video summarising the gains that have been made to mid-to-high-end video card ecosystem over the past few generations (maybe even including the 400 and 500 series, or even beginning with the 8800GT :D ), similarly to "NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti vs 8800 GTX Crysis Image Quality & Benchmark Linus Tech Tips".

I initially had the idea of comparing the last king of the "X90" range, the GTX 690, with a newer, single-GPU card such as the GTX 1070, with lower price and TDP, but (and correct me if I'm wrong) a higher performance level than the dual-GPU GTX 690.

However, after writing this post, I felt like the generation-on-generation performance delta was maybe more relevant to the majority of the audience (the GTX 690 wasn't really aimed at mainstream gaming in the first place).

Please tell me your thoughts on the matter, or post your current card, and if you feel the need to upgrade. ;)

Best,

JM

yes. and it really needs to start at the 8800GT because i have one and its still good for some lighter gaming, i also have a 970 which is also just amazing for 1080p 60+ fps no matter what basically but yes, this video needs to be made, i recently looked at the 8800GTX vs 560 video and thats how i knew that the 8800GT would be enough for CS:GO, though i laughed my ass off at Linus saying 30Hz was a good framerate xD 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

my 780ti still runs pretty much everything maxed out at 1080. but it was an absolute beast when it came out.

Xeon e5-2670, Intel DX79sr, 16gb g.skill Ares, evga sc 780ti, antec 750 80 plus gold, Phantek Entho pro case