Lollipop, disable notification "breathing" after screen lock?

crystal6tak

Can't find anything specific online, not even sure what this feature is even called.

When you receive notification, the screen lights up, you click the power button to check the notification on the lock screen, you click power button again to lock the phone (not swiping away the notification). The screen will then "breathe" in black and white for 2-3 times before fully sleeping.

It only stops doing doing that if you swipe away notification/s.

Anyone know what's it called? And better yet, how to disable it?

Always annoying when I want to deal with the notification later (so I want to keep it as reminder), and I stuff it in my pocket/bag, but oh noes, my fingers touched the screen when it's breathing, waking the phone. Now it'll stay away for another 1 or 5 minutes unnecessarily draining battery.

I believe that's called Ambient Display and you should be able to disable it in the Display sub-menu in the Settings app.

I could be wrong though.

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

2 minutes ago, Wtalk2 said:

I believe that's called Ambient Display and you should be able to disable it in the Display sub-menu in the Settings app.

I could be wrong though.

That disable (what I believe) three separate features... Screen on by notification, wake on shake, and breathing. I still want screen on by notification, wake on shake, but just stop the breathing. Any way to do that? Perhaps cyanogenmod with rooting has something?

8 minutes ago, crystal6tak said:

That disable (what I believe) three separate features... Screen on by notification, wake on shake, and breathing. I still want screen on by notification, wake on shake, but just stop the breathing. Any way to do that? Perhaps cyanogenmod with rooting has something?

Not sure if you can do all that, even with Cyanogenmod. I'm running Cyanogenmod on my phone right now and I have wake on notification and no breathing but also no wake on shake. Maybe check out the XDA Forums to see if anyone has fixed your issue in the past?

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

15 minutes ago, Wtalk2 said:

Not sure if you can do all that, even with Cyanogenmod. I'm running Cyanogenmod on my phone right now and I have wake on notification and no breathing but also no wake on shake. Maybe check out the XDA Forums to see if anyone has fixed your issue in the past?

Ah, that's good enough then! I can live without wake on shake. Awesome, I'll be getting Cyanogenmod on my N5X then. Thank you!