TV as side monitor?

App4that
Go to solution Solved by swordsm3n,

Yea it would work. I had mine rigged up like that before my htpc. Worked well other than running the long wire. I actually had 2 15 or 20 feet hdmi cables connected together with some connector that had two female ends.

OK, odd question. I came across a 20' HDMI cable during my move. Didn't think much of it at first but then got to thinking. Could you use that cable to run a TV? I already have 2 monitors so the TV would be the 3rd. And while I can see the TV from my desk, it's at a pretty extreme angle and behind me. Building a HTPC in the fall and have most of the parts, mostly thinking of doing this as a temporary solution (wife wants the Roku in her Yoga room) Just not sure what I'd run into with monitors separated by about 15'. Or if it would cause a performance hit for me in game, wouldn't game on the TV as I don't have a wireless controller. Well I have a Shield controller but it only works wireless with a Shield, thanks Obama...

TV is a 1080p Samsung, PC specs in profile.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I'd just plug it in and see how I like it. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Thought of that, kind of a bitch because of the one HDMI port on the 980ti. I'm currently using that to run the Acer on the side. but if no ones tried this yet I might have to.

Yea it would work. I had mine rigged up like that before my htpc. Worked well other than running the long wire. I actually had 2 15 or 20 feet hdmi cables connected together with some connector that had two female ends.

1 minute ago, swordsm3n said:

How did you manage controls? I was thinking of picking up a wireless keyboard and mouse since I'll need them for the HTPC anyway, but not sure how the multiple control devises would work.

Wireless mouse and keyboard. I had a wired mouse and keyboard with the pc, so not really sure if there would be issues with two wireless sets.

2 minutes ago, swordsm3n said:

Wireless mouse and keyboard. I had a wired mouse and keyboard with the pc, so not really sure if there would be issues with two wireless sets.

Thanks, that's enough to give it a trial run. I'll report on how things go. Thank you!

Xeon e5-2670, Intel DX79sr, 16gb g.skill Ares, evga sc 780ti, antec 750 80 plus gold, Phantek Entho pro case