Using an audio equalizer with USB headset

Hello everyone!

Recently, I've acquired a wireless USB Bluetooth headset (August ep650s) that I've been using with a wired cable, as I can't seem to use the Realtek audio equalizer when it is connected via Bluetooth.

When it is plugged into my desktop, it shows up as "speakers" in my playback devices, and I can freely adjust the equalizer as I see fit, thanks to my Realtek audio drivers. Unfortunately, whenever it is connected via Bluetooth, it shows up as an entirely different entry in my playback devices ("ep650" instead of "speakers"), and instead of using the Realtek HD audio controller, it is using the default windows audio drivers, forcing the equalizer setting to vanish from the enhancements tab.

I've already gone to the manufacturer's website, but there are no drivers listed for the headset, seeing as the device is designed as a "plug and play" type of experience. However, I don't think this is a problem with the headset, as none of my other USB audio devices have the option to use an equalizer, either. The only ones where I CAN use the equalizer are the devices that are wired with an audio jack (or whatever that green cable's called :P).

Seeing as how I thought it was indeed a software issue, I've tried out a software called "Equalizer APO," which WORKS, but I since the Realtek EQ never showed actual db values, don't know what db values to put into Equalizer APO to accurately replicate my previous setup (I was using the "powerful" preset in the Realtek EQ as I thought it sounded best).

I know that equalizers are not a necessary part of listening to music and playing games, but for some reason, without one, the audio in this pair of headphones sounds "muddy" if that makes any sense. My ears prefer a more "V" shaped audio signature, so that's why I've come here for help.

Anyone have any ideas on how I may achieve this? I would either need some way of forcing my headset to use the Realtek HD audio controller, or I would have to know what db values the "powerful" preset offers in the Realtek EQ.

Your PC and drivers are behaving exactly as I'd expect them to.

They should show up as different devices when connected by Bluetooth rather than wired.

My best advice would be to use the equaliser APO software and just keep fiddling with the EQ until it sounds good.

If you're willing to spend some money, you could always get an external amplifier/receiver (not sure which of these is most appropriate) with Bluetooth and wired outputs.

That way windows would always be playing through that one device, and you could use the external device to switch between Bluetooth and wired outputs without affecting your equaliser.

Hope this helps :)

EDIT: I just thought of this.

What about splitting your wired output to a Bluetooth transmitter?

That way you could still use your wired output as normal, but just connect your headphones/speakers via Bluetooth to the transmitter, when required.

This way, the sound would always be from your Realtek EQ, regardless of if you're using Bluetooth or not.

Cheaper than an amp/receiver

You'd just need one of these and one of these (assuming 3.5mm connectors) :)

Sorry, should have thought of this first. Way cheaper solution :P

Hey rhyseyness!

Thanks for the reply! The device you linked towards the end of your post looks like exactly what I need. I thought about buying something like that before, but I wasn't exactly sure if it would work or not. Seeing as it should work exactly as intended, I will snatch one on Amazon soon!

Thanks for the reply!