Speakers type and positioning opinions

Automobili3XF

Some months ago i had this exact audio setup here in my room:

-Denon DRA-37 receiver (connected to my PC via RCA/P2 cable)

-Yamaha CDC-755 CD Auto Changer

-Pure Acoustics QX900 Bookshelf Speakers

These speakers would sit up at the table , right next to the TV, which caused a heck of a lot of vibrations on the table. Long history short, sold the receiver, sold the CD player and sold the speakers to my brother, all for the purpose of making some engine mods to my truck.

I'm currently rebuilding my audio setup, here's what i have:

-Denon AVR-1602 receiver (older, more powerful, fully revised by authorized Denon repair shop)

-Denon DCM-360 CD Auto Changer (in great shape despite the age, revised by the same Denon repair shop)

Well, all i need now is speakers. My room here has the ability to reflect sounds like you wouldn't believe, even the TV speakers sound good.

I was talking to a friend that is a musician, and he told me that, if i put a SINGLE floorstanding speaker, like a Polk TSi300 or Infinity P252, at the very right side of my room and make it face somewhat towards the middle of the room, it would fill the stage up. Or i could buy the same pair of bookshelf speakers that i had before and fix those to the wall, one at each side of the TV.

Here's a picture to illustrate both the concepts, arrows indicating roughly where the speakers would go in both situations (sorry making it on paint, and for the mess on the table, LOL):

IMG_20160618_135901533_HDR.jpg

You can see where i sit on the table, very close to where the floorstanding speaker would go.

So, any opinions on what would be the best for this setup?

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

I see no problem with them going on either side, though I'd put the sub under the desk so it's centralized, but that's personal preference.

Why don't you just go to a local hardware or dollar store and buy little adhesive anti-vibration pads for the speakers if you're worried about vibration?

2 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

I see no problem with them going on either side, though I'd put the sub under the desk so it's centralized, but that's personal preference.

Why don't you just go to a local hardware or dollar store and buy little adhesive anti-vibration pads for the speakers if you're worried about vibration?

The speakers would vibrate when i had them sitting on the table itself, which caused the table top to vibrate, but on both the scenarios i mentioned, they would be very far from the table and on the wall, eliminating all sorts of possible vibrations that could be caused.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

18 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

No. Hopefully I don't need to explain why this is a bad idea (and why centralizing a sub is unnecessary).

As for a single floorstanding speaker, that is a dumb idea if you want to have a stereo image.

To deal with vibrations: get a more solid table, use isolation pads, and/or blue-tac the speakers down to the surface.

9 minutes ago, SSL said:

No. Hopefully I don't need to explain why this is a bad idea (and why centralizing a sub is unnecessary).

As for a single floorstanding speaker, that is a dumb idea if you want to have a stereo image.

To deal with vibrations: get a more solid table, use isolation pads, and/or blue-tac the speakers down to the surface.

As for the speakers positioning: They're not going on the table, you can see the player at one side of the table where the speakers would normally go, thus eliminating the option to put the speakers themselves on the table. The receiver is also going there, above the player.

The speakers would be afixed to supports on the wall itself.

About the single floorstanding speaker: I thought about that, if i do this, i'm not gonna get a proper stereo setup and i'm gonna be able hear it from only the right side, which is hella weird...

Coming back to this topic,i talked with the people from AudioTag, a local Home-Theater shop and i decided to go with wall-mounted Bookshelf Speakers, more specifically the Pure Acoustics Proxima 60-S pair, which should be an upgrade from the QX-900s i had before, i'll report back when the speakers arrive.

I'm also planing to add an active subwoofer to the setup in the near future.

img0_s1.jpg