LG 25UM58-P worth buying?

Anyone here own this monitor? I'm in the market for a new monitor and wanted to try out 21:9 ultrawide IPS monitor for its immersive experience for a change. The current monitor I have is 20 inch 900p Samsung monitor which I have for well over 7+ years now. Personally I own LG stuff in the past and I have really like their crisp looking screen. I check on Amazon and this monitor is price at $220 CAD, for a 1080p 25 inch ultrawide IPS panel it seem like a good deal imo. I check the specs and it has 2 hdmi ports, not sure if it has 75hz but some say it does, it has 5ms response time which is pretty respectable for an IPS panel and considering you can hardly tell the difference from 1ms to 5ms unless your going from 60hz to 120hz+ which in my my case I'm not, it has a VESA support which is a plus and overall it price at a reasonable price.

So my question is, is this monitor worth buying? Or is there better alternative out there and I should look else where?

Anyone here own this monitor and can they share their experience with us? I would love to hear you guys opinion. Ofc I'll be doing my own research too.

20 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Yes its good value at the price.

8-bit panel (probably through dithering) for almost full coverage of sRGB

75Hz is actually its native refresh rate. So overclocking to approach 100Hz is possible

It accepts only HDMI (2 ports) for input

LG makes great panels but I hate their glossy wobbly stands.

I'm curious how can I get over 60hz if it only support hdmi. If I understand correctly with hdmi you're lock to 60hz just like how console is lock to 60hz.

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

It uses HDMI version 2.0, which officially supports 4k at 60fps and 21:9 aspect ratio

Consoles are turds that why they have to lock you to a certain framerate. It has nothing to do with the connection type.

Oh I didn't know it has hdmi 2.0. Thinking it only has the standard one. Good to know.

I recently got it, and sold it as well. Got the 29" version instead and much better. 

Reason: vertical height is tiny. 

That being said its still very good. I'm using the monitor for coding, so while the width was fine the height annoyed me more than it should.

7 hours ago, Anzarrah said:

I recently got it, and sold it as well. Got the 29" version instead and much better. 

Reason: vertical height is tiny. 

That being said its still very good. I'm using the monitor for coding, so while the width was fine the height annoyed me more than it should.

29 inch is a little big for me, don't think I have enough real estate on my desk for it. Plus is $100 dollar more. So 25 inch seem like a perfect size for me. Anything above 27+ inch and you're getting into tv territory. Take a look at my 32 inch insignia tv as a comparison, I use it as my daily tv for my room and that thing is pretty big. Thanks for the comment though.

19 minutes ago, oo2k15 said:

29 inch is a little big for me, don't think I have enough real estate on my desk for it. Plus is $100 dollar more. So 25 inch seem like a perfect size for me. Anything above 30+ inch and you're getting into tv territory. Thanks for the comment though.

I was planning to buy this monitor too. But after asking here in the forums and doing a couple of research I learned that the vertical height of the 25 inch ultrawide monitor has vertical height of a 21 inch monitor. So basically you're getting an inch higher from you're old monitor. That is why people were asking me too get the 29 instead but I can't afford to go over the budget I have. 

12 minutes ago, UMISHO said:

I was planning to buy this monitor too. But after asking here in the forums and doing a couple of research I learned that the vertical height of the 25 inch ultrawide monitor has vertical height of a 21 inch monitor. So basically you're getting an inch higher from you're old monitor. That is why people were asking me too get the 29 instead but I can't afford to go over the budget I have. 

Well if I look at it that way it does make sense to go with 29 inch considering my current monitor is 20 inch so i'm only getting an inch. Can you tell me the vertical height on 29 inch? And also is there 27 inch variant, I don't think there is one. But like you I don't wanna go over the budget too. If I have to pay $100 dollar more I rather get much better monitor and look somewhere else.

10 minutes ago, oo2k15 said:

Well if I look at it that way it does make sense to go with 29 inch considering my current monitor is 20 inch so i'm only getting an inch. Can you tell me the vertical height on 29 inch? And also is there 27 inch variant, I don't think there is one. But like you I don't wanna go over the budget too.

The vertical height on 29 inch is the vertical height of a 25 inch. While in the 34 inch it'll be 29 inch. I don't think there's a 27 inch variant. I'm still getting the 25 inch though cause I'm upgrading from an old 4:3 dell so for me the 25 inch will be a good starting point. 

EDIT: A 25" vertically is about as tall as a regular 20", a 29" is ~ a 24", and a 34" ~ a 27".

22 minutes ago, UMISHO said:

The vertical height on 29 inch is the vertical height of a 25 inch. While in the 34 inch it'll be 29 inch. I don't think there's a 27 inch variant. I'm still getting the 25 inch though cause I'm upgrading from an old 4:3 dell so for me the 25 inch will be a good starting point. 

EDIT: A 25" vertically is about as tall as a regular 20", a 29" is ~ a 24", and a 34" ~ a 27".

I'm so tempted to pull the trigger on that 29 inch one now but dropping $100 dollar more I can get better monitor at that price park like Asus VG248QE, BenQ XL2411Z, Asus MX279H, AOC G2460PQU, AOC Q2778VQE, and BenQ RL2755HM

1 minute ago, oo2k15 said:

I'm so tempted to the pull the trigger on that 29 inch one now but dropping $100 dollar more I can get better monitor at that price park like Asus VG248QE, BenQ XL2411Z, Asus MX279H, AOC G2460PQU, AOC Q2778VQE, and BenQ RL2755HM

I know how you feel. A hundred dollar more and we could get a 144hz 1080p monitor which is the really nice for gaming. It really depends on what you are going to use it for. For me, I'll be watching movies, edit photos and video and a few gaming so the 25 inch ultrawide will be a nice monitor for me.

3 minutes ago, UMISHO said:

I know how you feel. A hundred dollar more and we could get a 144hz 1080p monitor which is the really nice for gaming. It really depends on what you are going to use it for. For me, I'll be watching movies, edit photos and video and a few gaming so the 25 inch ultrawide will be a nice monitor for me.

Not even 144hz 1080p but even 2k monitor for that matter. But yeah reason I wanna buy this monitor is I never use a 21:9 aspect ratio ultrawide screen before and I wanna try something new for a change. For me I don't usually upgrade monitor that often since there's really no incentive to. Monitor tends to last you for a long time just like how tv is, take a look at my current monitor as an example. But yeah thanks for your input though, really helpful in making my decision easier.

Once you get use to the Ultra Wide you won't turn back. 

I'm not really a hardcore gamer but even in games it looks very nice(if they support the resolution) for me I play some moba's and it's perfect. For general use and editing you won't find a 16:9 that will deliver the same experience. Pair it vs a screen that can Pivot - then you have a seriously nice development setup.

Back to your original post though, don't get the 25" Ultra Wide it's very good but only if you really really can't add a bit more to your budget. And with you saying you keep your monitors for a long time, just invest in the bigger brother.

edit: ps SPLIT SCREEN SOFTWARE on the 29" inch is stunning.