PC on TV compared to consoles

jimmy6

Hi all,

I understand (mostly) the reasons why TVs aren't great for use with PCs - input lag, latency, refresh etc. So why are they more than acceptable for use with consoles that use similar hardware to PCs?

For example, I am hard pressed to tell the difference between gaming on my desktop with a modern 1440p IPS monitor and gaming on my PS4 connected to an ancient Sony 1080p TV.

Do I need to get my eyes checked?!

J6

The thing is, it is just as bad to have a console plugged into a TV as it is to plug a Computer into a TV. It doesn't matter too much. Ultimately it is better to plug a console or a computer into a Computer monitor.

I use a TV as my primary monitor. Everything depends on the research you put into the TV you buy.

Mine has 16ms input lag, 8ms response time and yes only 60hz refresh rate. But for me personally these slightly below average specs are worth it due to the static 3800:1 contrast ratio that really makes colours pop and look amazing.

Also TV's are generally cheaper than monitors for the type of panel you get due to them being more mass produced. My TV only cost £180 a year ago, for that price the most you would get is a 27" 1080p monitor whereas my TV is 32" 1080p".

At the end of the day TVs and Monitors are the same thing, it's just TV's have tuners and extra image processing bunged into them, if you research TV's with low input lag you can grab yourself a pretty decent gaming display. Personally I'm hoping to upgrade to a 55" 4k TV during the black friday sales.

Here's a link to Barnacules TV setup in case you haven't seen it yet:

13 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

If its just for videos and casual games, a TV would be nice. But you actually try to do productivity/office work on a TV... 

Game Mode off, it feels like I'm drunk. Game Mode on and it's like any other 60 hz display.

2 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

Game Mode off, it feels like I'm drunk. Game Mode on and it's like any other 60 hz display.

Depends heavily on which TV you are using. TV at my parent's place has half a second (not really measured, but its off by a slight beat) delay even with game mode on.

2 minutes ago, StormEye said:

Depends heavily on which TV you are using. TV at my parent's place has half a second (not really measured, but its off by a slight beat) delay even with game mode on.

"All TVs are bad"

"This TV isn't bad"

"DEPENDS ON THE TV".

"This one isn't"

"TVS ARE BAD"

Is this how this narrative is going?

Hey, thanks for all the replies.

I am going to stick with my monitor on my current PC, but will be finally upgrading my ancient Sony HDTV to some kind of 4K set later this year. I had planned to connect my PC to it as well as my monitor for those occasions when casual gaming with the kids or sharing content with the family.  I assume I'm limited to HDMI 2.0 - I can't find a TV with a DisplayPort connector yet. Time for more digging on this forum!