First home theater system

rmb938

I finally got my own apartment and want to create a awesome theater system.

I would like to get a projector instead of a TV and a 5.1 sound system (possibly 5.2 if Dolby atmos/ DTS: X is worth investing in). My current living room can't fit a 7.1 setup and I don't think I will be getting a room big enough anytime soon.

My budget at most is around $2000 however I am willing to save up a bit more if that will give me something better.

I have looked at the following audio systems:

Yamaha YHT-4920UBL

Onkyo HT-S7700

Should I be buying a whole system? Or is it better to get everything separate? Also is Dolby Atmos/DTS: X something I should be looking for? How should I go about hiding wires? I have wood floors so it is not like I can hide them under carpet.

I have also looked at the Epson Home Cinema 2040 projector, I don't think I will be using the 3D feature much if at all but it seems like a decent projector.

A Blu-ray player is not high priority right now but I will be wanting one in the future. Any recommendations?

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

Well I wasn't planing on mounting the projector since I have no way of running cables through the ceiling. I was going to put it on the side of the couch and keystone it. I did this with a older projector a year ago and it seemed to work fine.The Benq one you linked doesn't have horizontal keystoning.

Surround sound can be hard and expensive to get right. Separates are always better, but certainly not after a certain point. I started out with a small receiver and two high end speakers. Then I added on overtime to 5 speakers, then 6 (single rear), then a bigger/better receiver, and then a projector.

The Denon x3200w is a sweet receiver to start with, even though it's not simple by any means. It will help progress you forward. Also, look around for sales. I bought mine for $500 just recently.

Second, I recommend two MT110 speakers from Power Sound Audio. I'm s huge fanboy and they are bad ass speakers. Eventually you should add a subwoofer, but start with speakers. 

And third... While a projector is s great idea, the Epson 2000 series is pure garbage. It's about one step above entry level. A set it and forget it approach. If you're stuck on it, go with a refurbished 2030 instead from Amazon. You will save money when you realize it isn't s very good projector at all. I recommend the Epson 3020 at a minimum.

You also need a screen. Don't pretend you can just use a wall. It's very soft when using walls. I ordered a pre made material from Elite Screens through Amazon, and I built a small frame out of wood and stretched the material over. It cost me around $125 in total. I could have done it for a lot cheaper though. 

But really I would start with a tv. You cannot watch with a projector during the day unless your entire room is close to dark. Any lights and the contrast goes out the door, unless you step it up to the Epson 5030. A tv is a good middle ground until you can save for more gear. 

Thanks for the information John!

As I upgrade the system should I stay with the same brand?

Also would you have a recommendation on a TV to get instead?