Sabertooth Z170 No LED [Solved]

This is my first time building a computer, and I am having a major issue.

My parts:

Intel i3 6100

ASUS Sabertooth Mark 1 Z170

Hyper X ddr4 8gb

ASUS Strix gtx 950 2gb

EVGA 500w 80+ non-modular PSU

Coolermaster HAF XB II EVO 

1TB Western Digital HDD

I plugged everything in and booted up the computer, but the boot LED stayed on. I tried to rest the CMOS by taking out the battery and shorting the jumper. I also tried to flash the latest BIOS, but now it wont even run through the POST sequence. The board just seems to be on. I have tried reflashing the BIOS but nothing is working. Did I short entire board?

Thanks for any help.

7 minutes ago, BlueSoul said:

This is my first time building a computer, and I am having a major issue.

My parts:

Intel i3 6100

ASUS Sabertooth Mark 1 Z170

Hyper X ddr4 8gb

ASUS Strix gtx 950 2gb

EVGA 500w 80+ non-modular PSU

Coolermaster HAF XB II EVO 

1TB Western Digital HDD

I plugged everything in and booted up the computer, but the boot LED stayed on. I tried to rest the CMOS by taking out the battery and shorting the jumper. I also tried to flash the latest BIOS, but now it wont even run through the POST sequence. The board just seems to be on. I have tried reflashing the BIOS but nothing is working. Did I short entire board?

Thanks for any help.

did you reset the jumper? IF you cant even get a post and you verified the jumper is correct, does the board have a secondary BIOS you can flip to?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

did you reset the jumper? IF you cant even get a post and you verified the jumper is correct, does the board have a secondary BIOS you can flip to?

I did reset the jumper, but the board does not have a second BIOS. If I flash the BIOS and then try the jumper again, does the board revert to the original BIOS? There is a BIOS flash button on the back and a usb port for the BIOS. I've put the BIOS file on the usb and plugged it in and pressed the BIOS button. The flash worked (according to the manual). But I am still not getting a post.

7388_13_asus-sabertooth-z170-mark-1-intel-motherboard-review.jpg

10 minutes ago, BlueSoul said:

I did reset the jumper, but the board does not have a second BIOS. If I flash the BIOS and then try the jumper again, does the board revert to the original BIOS? There is a BIOS flash button on the back and a usb port for the BIOS. I've put the BIOS file on the usb and plugged it in and pressed the BIOS button. The flash worked (according to the manual). But I am still not getting a post.

7388_13_asus-sabertooth-z170-mark-1-intel-motherboard-review.jpg

The CPU has integrated Graphics, have you tried plugging into the onboard to see if you get post?

EDIT: Also have you verified you have the CPU power plug plugged in?

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

The CPU has integrated Graphics, have you tried plugging into the onboard to see if you get post?

EDIT: Also have you verified you have the CPU power plug plugged in?

Yup, I have plugged in the HDMI to the MOBO and all power connectors are in.

1 minute ago, BlueSoul said:

Yup, I have plugged in the HDMI to the MOBO and all power connectors are in.

Try a different HDMI cable and if you have the cord and support, try the display port. If you have a discrete Graphics card, see if you get any post from that. If not, then I am afraid you have a bricked board.

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

3 hours ago, legacy99 said:

Try a different HDMI cable and if you have the cord and support, try the display port. If you have a discrete Graphics card, see if you get any post from that. If not, then I am afraid you have a bricked board.

It seems my board is bricked. I am going to leave the CMOS battery out overnight and try and reflash the bios. I may buy a BIOS chip from ebay. 

46 minutes ago, BlueSoul said:

It seems my board is bricked. I am going to leave the CMOS battery out overnight and try and reflash the bios. I may buy a BIOS chip from ebay. 

Unless you can solder it back on, its not worth it. The board is newer and ASUS "Should" take it back for RMA, but I do hear they have one of the more difficult RMA processes. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

On 6/16/2016 at 11:36 PM, legacy99 said:

Unless you can solder it back on, its not worth it. The board is newer and ASUS "Should" take it back for RMA, but I do hear they have one of the more difficult RMA processes. 

The Board was dead. Sent it back and got a refund. Thanks for your help.