How do 144Hz monitors deal with video?

AstroBenny

I've never thought about this.

If your monitor is set to 144Hz and you watch a Youtube video that's at 30/60fps, why doesn't it stutter or tear?

Is something compensating?

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

3 minutes ago, AstroBenny said:

I've never thought about this.

If your monitor is set to 144Hz and you watch a Youtube video that's at 30/60fps, why doesn't it stutter or tear?

Is something compensating?

You can play 30fps on a 60hz monitor. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Hz is the maximum amount of frames it can display not the only amount of frames it can display.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

8 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Hz is the maximum amount of frames it can display not the only amount of frames it can display.

Spot on

23 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

its the amount of times the screen refreshes per second.

which.. 144/30 = 4.8 which is large and round-ish enough to not notice any difference in video content.

to explain it simply, the video's frames will stay on the display for 4 refreshes, and every 5th frame will be on the display for an extra refresh if my midnight math is correct, but even if it isnt you get the point.

basicly, it's like playing 24FPS content on a 60FPS display, i bet all of you have done it, and havent noticed it.

EDIT: i is durr, figured it out: the video's frames will stay on the display for 5 refreshes, and every 5th frame will only stay on for 4 refreshes.

for those screaming stutters, thats a 6.9 millisecond difference, on frames that stay on display for an average of 33.3 milliseconds. if you can see that to the point its bothersome when watching a movie you need to apply for the avengers initiative.

or those that want even more values:

- the 4 frames will be on for 34.5ms each

- the 5th frame will be on for 27.7ms

=> 994.2ms total, close enough rounding error wise :P