Do more fans typically give lower temps?

Go to solution Solved by Zyndo,

Well it doesn't really matter when it comes to fan count. or fan size. or fan RPM.... the only real thing that matters is the CFM you can push through your heatsinks. Now, having more fans, bigger fans, or faster fans can certainly increase your CFM, just because a card has 3 fans doesnt mean its going to beat out cards that have 2 fans.

EVGA's ACX 3.0 fans are awesome (2 fans). MSI's Twin Frozer 6 fans are awesome (2 fans). the cards with 3 fans on them are also awesome. Largely speaking, their cooling potential and heat dissipation are all pretty close to each other. There would be nothing wrong with getting any of them (assuming we're talking aftermarket 1070's, the blower style coolers tend not to be as good as open-air coolers)

As far as which one to get, get whichever you think would look the most badass in your system. Performance and cooling for any 1070 in similar price ranges will all be pretty close (with a small variance for silicon lottery).

I am looking for what 1070 I want to get. Right now the strix or the gigabyte appeal the most to me. But there are several other cards I am wanting to consider. EVGA have their acx 3, And msi have a few 1070's. But they all have 2 fans on the cooler. Should I try to find a card with a cooler that has 3 fans? or will 2 fans do. (also which 1070 would you recommend) Thanks! :D

Well it doesn't really matter when it comes to fan count. or fan size. or fan RPM.... the only real thing that matters is the CFM you can push through your heatsinks. Now, having more fans, bigger fans, or faster fans can certainly increase your CFM, just because a card has 3 fans doesnt mean its going to beat out cards that have 2 fans.

EVGA's ACX 3.0 fans are awesome (2 fans). MSI's Twin Frozer 6 fans are awesome (2 fans). the cards with 3 fans on them are also awesome. Largely speaking, their cooling potential and heat dissipation are all pretty close to each other. There would be nothing wrong with getting any of them (assuming we're talking aftermarket 1070's, the blower style coolers tend not to be as good as open-air coolers)

As far as which one to get, get whichever you think would look the most badass in your system. Performance and cooling for any 1070 in similar price ranges will all be pretty close (with a small variance for silicon lottery).

As was said above, the number of fans isn't necessarily the main factor. However, generally speaking, 3 fans can be quieter than 2 fans, but that also depends upon the number of fans needed to keep a card cool. The 1070 uses less power than previous models, so 2 fans may be enough for it to run cool and quiet.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD