What do I upgrade next on my PC?

Go to solution Solved by TriFlix Films,
10 minutes ago, Dr_Nooberious said:

I am new at this, so Where?

Right here :)

29 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:

I'd wait for the price of the GPU's to decline.

1. GPU (AMD 480 or NVIDIA 980)

2. Mobo ($114)

3. Ram (32gb for $100)

4. CPU ($214)

5. Monitor (34" 21:9 LG $400)

Since you want to build a seperate rig for editing and you dont plan on doing much with this one, you wont need more than 16gb ram.

The GPU is pretty dated and youd benefit greatly from one of the new model, I use a 970 and is maxes the settings for almost ever 1080p game. But if you end up getting a 1440p later you might want to just bite the bullet and get the 460/70/80, whatever you can afford. However make sure the software you use works well with AMD, I edit videos in HitFilm and they down work well with AMD.

Next would be the MOBO just because it's easier to change it now than later after you buy RAM and a new CPU (if you could buy all three of these at once, that would be easiest). Last would be the monitor, since it actually has a moderate refresh rate... I would save up and get a really good/cheap 21:9 curved monitor.

Hello Everyone.

So I some money for myself now and I want to upgrade my PC, but I am not sure what to upgrade.

Here are my Specs:

CPU: I3-6100 overclocked from 3.7GHz to 4.6Ghz.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master T4.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170-HD3.

RAM: 1 x Transcend 8GB 2133MHz. (Since I overclocked my CPU, I had to down clock the RAM to 2000MHz to keep it under 2133MHz for stability).

Storage: 2 x 3TB drives (1 is my main drive while the other acts as a server drive for other PC in the house) and 1 x 500GB for VMs.

Monitor: Samsung S20D300 1600x900 60H overclocked to 75H refresh rate.

Keyboard: Genius GK 120005/K

Mouse: Alien G7

Case: Sharkoon T28.

Case Fans: 3 Pre-installed fans, 2 at the front with 1 at the rear.

Power Supply: Corsair VS 550W (I know that this is not the best PSU, but it is the best I can get without spending a fortune).

Headphones: Sharkoon X-tactic S7 (my motherboard does not come with a S/PDIF port so these headphones are stuck in 2 channel instead of its 7.1 channel).

So here is what I can upgrade:

Buy a better monitor; or

Buy a I5-6600K and 1 x 8GB RAM 2133MHz and a better CPU cooler (Can't decide on which one yet); or

Buy a Better GPU and use DSR or VSR (depending on which brand I buy) to upscale the Games resolution; or

Buy a 3rd 3TB Hard Drive and run it in a Raid 0 with my Main drive for faster Booting and game load times; or

Buy a SSD; or

Buy a different Headphones set.

So what do you think

Thanks.

My bad.

GPU: GIgabyte GTX 750 Ti 2X Windforce overclocked with + 260 on the core and + 625 on the memory and + 31milivolts to the core.

GPU.gif

GPU2.png

Whats your price range? Might be able to make several upgrades.. also what is your goal with the computer?

GPU is probably the best thing to upgrade. Wait for something else to come out first though, I'd personally wait for the RX 480, but that's just me. ^^; 

After that though, the SSD is easily the next best thing for you. :)

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

Just now, TriFlix Films said:

Whats your price range? Might be able to make several upgrades.. also what is your goal with the computer?

Just general gaming with Youtube being a possibility.

1 minute ago, molude said:

Get a better GPU (960 maybe), and then, in the future, a better 1080p monitor.

My budget is R6000.00 Rand from SA.

2 minutes ago, IskanderEXC said:

Definitely upgrade GPU

1 minute ago, Dr_Nooberious said:

Just general gaming with Youtube being a possibility.

My budget is R6000.00 Rand from SA.

That is just the thing, with Nvidia and AMD's new GPUs coming out , I don't think it would be a good idea to buy one just yet.

1 minute ago, Dr_Nooberious said:

That is just the thing, with Nvidia and AMD's new GPUs coming out , I don't think it would be a good idea to buy one just yet.

Wait for either the RX 480 or the RX 46/70

Just now, molude said:

Alright, that's around 350€, then get a 3500 Rand GPU and a 2500 Rand Monitor. (Sorry if those prices are weird, I just translated from Rand to Euros and back to Rands.

LOL, no problem. The Rand just sucks.

2 minutes ago, IskanderEXC said:

Wait for either the RX 480 or the RX 46/70

I am thinking along those lines as well.

2. Mobo ($114)

3. Ram (32gb for $100)

4. CPU ($214)

5 minutes ago, molude said:

Aren't 32GB of RAM abit overkill, also, I see nothing wrong with the mobo (It's about 120€ here in Spain)

If he wants to edit videos for YouTube which he said he did, it will be extremely helpful... but if that's high/not in the budget he NEEDS at least 16gb. I run at 64gb and that isnt enough for some of the VFX I do... he will probably do basic editing so 16-32gb would be perfect.

According to PC part picker the mobo he wanted to upgrade to cost $114 currently, thats why I listed it the way I did.

21 minutes ago, Dr_Nooberious said:

My bad.

GPU: GIgabyte GTX 750 Ti 2X Windforce overclocked with + 260 on the core and + 625 on the memory and + 31milivolts to the core.

^^ upgrade that...that's garbage.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

5 minutes ago, molude said:

Aren't 32GB of RAM abit overkill, also, I see nothing wrong with the mobo (It's about 120€ here in Spain)

This Motherboard is very good but I just wish it had a S/PDIF port on the back rather that a header.

4 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:

If he wants to edit videos for YouTube which he said he did, it will be extremely helpful... but if that's high/not in the budget he NEEDS at least 16gb. I run at 64gb and that isnt enough for some of the VFX I do... he will probably do basic editing so 16-32gb would be perfect.

I am considering becoming a Youtuber, however if I do I am going to build a separate rendering PC just for the videos  and video storage.

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

^^ upgrade that...that's garbage.

Garbage it may be but it was a MASSIVE upgrade from my old GT 630. now thjat was Garbage and a half.

I gave you the order of the parts I would recommend upgrading them in to see the biggest perfromance jumps.

Just my opinion... not like I built my own rig, make videos, and have technically been a youtuber for over a couple years or anything haha *sarcasm*

Best of Luck *sincere*

1 minute ago, TriFlix Films said:

I gave you the order of the parts I would recommend upgrading them in to see the biggest perfromance jumps.

Just my opinion... not like I built my own rig, make videos, and have technically been a youtuber for over a couple years or anything haha *sarcasm*

Best of Luck *sincere*

10 minutes ago, Dr_Nooberious said:

Right here :)

29 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:

2. Mobo ($114)

3. Ram (32gb for $100)

4. CPU ($214)

Since you want to build a seperate rig for editing and you dont plan on doing much with this one, you wont need more than 16gb ram.

The GPU is pretty dated and youd benefit greatly from one of the new model, I use a 970 and is maxes the settings for almost ever 1080p game. But if you end up getting a 1440p later you might want to just bite the bullet and get the 460/70/80, whatever you can afford. However make sure the software you use works well with AMD, I edit videos in HitFilm and they down work well with AMD.

Next would be the MOBO just because it's easier to change it now than later after you buy RAM and a new CPU (if you could buy all three of these at once, that would be easiest). Last would be the monitor, since it actually has a moderate refresh rate... I would save up and get a really good/cheap 21:9 curved monitor.