mATX or ATX

Go to solution Solved by Darkseth,

depending on what platform you buy.

x16/x16 of course, but that's only possible with x99 atm, and a 500+ dollar CPU.

but as i said, x8/x8, so both cards have the same bandwidth. x16/x4 (H170, B150, etc) should give you some more disadvantages.

Anyway, with which cards do you plan to crossfire? The high end AMDs aren't out yet, and Multi-GPU with low end / mid class GPUs isn't really smart, since multi GPU comes with many many disadvantages. Such as more heat, more power consumption, driver problems, the need of CF profiles, and not a 100% scaling. Depending on game/drivers, you might have only 100% - 170% more performance.

This one for the ATX Build (which I am leaning toward). https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/s9Gj4D/msi-motherboard-b150gamingm3

according to the MSI website it has two PCI-Ex16 Gen 3 slots.

Yes, the upper Card will run at x16 speed, and the 2nd one will run at x4 speed.

Suboptimal.

I highly suggest, you switch over to a Z170 board + Overclockable CPU, or you stick to 1 GPU, which is the best choice in general.

No, the sweetspot is i5 6500 ;)

Because those 2 additional "real" Cores will make a huge difference, depending on the Game. There are Games already, where i5 > i3 can already improve the

How do you know the exact performance of 2 R9 480? There are zero tests out yet. Maybe the GTX 1070 will be better, depending on the Application.

Plus... Most don't like to Render on GPU because of worse Image quality.

In addition to that.... Rendering over Intel Quicksync is much FASTER than rendering on strong GPUs.^^

Not to mention again, an i3 is not enough to properly power 2 R9 480 (which will HAVE to be 8gb models, so you will pay at least 500-550 dollar for both).

With that, you will have the 50 bucks more for an i5.

1 hour ago, Cosmin1 said:

I personally prefer the mATX cases, last weekend I did a build in the air 240, still isn't 100% finished, still need to get some custom cables and a led strip, but this is is so far

IMG_5601.JPG

Can you turn it so that the window is on the other side to the default?

1 minute ago, EdwardBrown said:

plus the i3 has hyperthreading so is 3.7ghz per thread.

an i5 will strill destroy the i3 in any Application, where more than 2 Threads can be used.

Hyperthreading does NOT replace a real Core. Not even CLOSE. ;)

My Opinion still won't change. i3 6100 + R9 480 Crossfire is a bad idea. No matter what you want to do it.

1 minute ago, Darkseth said:

Because those 2 additional "real" Cores will make a huge difference, depending on the Game. There are Games already, where i5 > i3 can already improve the

How do you know the exact performance of 2 R9 480? There are zero tests out yet. Maybe the GTX 1070 will be better, depending on the Application.

In addition to that.... Rendering over Intel Quicksync is much FASTER than rendering on strong GPUs.^^

Not to mention again, an i3 is not enough to properly power 2 R9 480 (which will HAVE to be 8gb models, so you will pay at least 500-550 dollar for both).

Editing in programs like Davinci Resolve is heavily GPU accelerated. Also I am not at all worried about performance in games - it will be fast enough no matter what. Also it is called the RX 480.

3 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Also rendering video files on a GPU does NOT EVER CHANGE THE IMAGE QUALITY. 

Dude, can you please use the Edit button? Seriously, you are spamming the Forum.

1. Then RX idc... The Card is NOT out yet, and its not known how it will perform, and what its computing performance will be like. Maybe  the GTX 1070 will outperform 2 RX 480 by 50%? Wait for tests, before you get any random ideas.

Plus, does your Editing Programms can use Crossfire in first place? If not, then your 2nd one will be pure Decoration.

2. Yes, Rendering Videos over the GPU DOES lower the Image quality. What do you think, all Pros use an i7 with many Cores for the Rendering, even if they have a gamer GPU? because the Quality is better.

Pls inform yourself about video rendering first before you throw around with some random Ideas...

About the only real difference between ATX and mATX is the number of expansion slots - which usually amounts to either extra PCIe slots for 3 and 4-way SLI/Crossfire, or extra PCI and PCIe x1 and x4 slots for expansion cards.

The main parts of the boards are generally the same - that is, the same VRs, audio chip, ports, etc.

So the choice usually just comes down to how much stuff you want to connect. For the average gamer - even if you want to do SLI - the choice is just a matter of size.

Note, of course, that you can put an mATX (or even mini-ITX, in many cases) motherboard in an ATX case.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

50 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Dude, can you please use the Edit button? Seriously, you are spamming the Forum.

1. Then RX idc... The Card is NOT out yet, and its not known how it will perform, and what its computing performance will be like. Maybe  the GTX 1070 will outperform 2 RX 480 by 50%? Wait for tests, before you get any random ideas.

Plus, does your Editing Programms can use Crossfire in first place? If not, then your 2nd one will be pure Decoration.

2. Yes, Rendering Videos over the GPU DOES lower the Image quality. What do you think, all Pros use an i7 with many Cores for the Rendering, even if they have a gamer GPU? because the Quality is better.

Pls inform yourself about video rendering first before you throw around with some random Ideas...

Are you saying that performing the same task on a digital video file on different processors will result in a difference in image quality?

On 16.6.2016 at 4:56 PM, EdwardBrown said:

Are you saying that performing the same task on a digital video file on different processors will result in a difference in image quality?

Correct. But its not different processors. A CPU works differently, than a GPU ^^ And use different instruction sets.

Depending on the Decoder you use, the Bitrate, etc etc, there will be differences.

The GPU often trades image quality for Rendering speed.

Google it, there are tons of Threads and articles about that, and with some Test pictures.

Of course, it depends if you do that for Work, or just for some Home videos. On the latter, it won't matter much.

See here, one user: https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/2nmgh4/cpu_vs_gpu_rendering/

Videoediting company here. In editing, GPU rendering is very fast and good for preview purposes. The quality is sadly too bad for end products, it's also full of artifacts and bugs in filters like flickering. So that's where the CPU is best used. There are GPU's that work great for rendering, like nVidia's tesla series but they're not cheap.

Fun fact, the speed of the GPU is hardly relevant when you use CUDA rendering. We've tested GTX 750Ti's vs 780Ti's and in a 30 minute 2K->1080+LUT render, the difference in render-time was 2 seconds. So the 750Ti is a very cost-effective way to accelerate editing previews. Better spend the rest of the budget towards the CPU.

If you haven't buy anything then get the i5 instead of i3.

4 cores of i5 > 2 cores 2 threads of i3.

I once had an i3 4150 before deciding to sell it off with the mobo and upgrade to 4690k + Z97 mobo and it's worth every penny.

In your case, better just go straight to i5.

On 18/06/2016 at 4:29 PM, Ichi said:

If you haven't buy anything then get the i5 instead of i3.

4 cores of i5 > 2 cores 2 threads of i3.

I once had an i3 4150 before deciding to sell it off with the mobo and upgrade to 4690k + Z97 mobo and it's worth every penny.

In your case, better just go straight to i5.

2 cores 2 threads? the i3 is 2 cores 4 threads?

50 minutes ago, EdwardBrown said:

2 cores 2 threads? the i3 is 2 cores 4 threads?

My bad, was rushing.

See it this way, cores are like physical cores while threads can be considered virtual cores.

2 cores 4 threads doesn't make it 6, the 4 is virtual.

I'm sure someone else can come up with better analogy.

You will see few fps gains for gaming on an i5 compared to an i3, more gains can be seen if the game is CPU dependant.

As for rendering, i5 will run away from that i3.

Basically, if you want SLI/crossfire in the future and can afford a Z170 + unlocked i5, do it.

If you don't want to overclock, get a B150 + locked i5.

If you're really tight on budget then B150 + i3, but this doesn't seem to be ideal if you want to run more than 1 GPU.

1 minute ago, Ichi said:

My bad, was rushing.

See it this way, cores are like physical cores while threads can be considered virtual cores.

2 cores 4 threads doesn't make it 6, the 4 is virtual.

I'm sure someone else can come up with better analogy.

You will see few fps gains for gaming on an i5 compared to an i3, more gains can be seen if the game is CPU dependant.

As for rendering, i5 will run away from that i3.

Basically, if you want SLI/crossfire in the future and can afford a Z170 + unlocked i5, do it.

If you don't want to overclock, get a B150 + locked i5.

If you're really tight on budget then B150 + i3, but this doesn't seem to be ideal if you want to run more than 1 GPU.

Yeah, I know all about the whole threads thing. I am considering going from mATX to mITX and running a single gpu. Or sticking with mATX and then upgrading cpu - and then buying a second gpu.

5 minutes ago, EdwardBrown said:

Yeah, I know all about the whole threads thing. I am considering going from mATX to mITX and running a single gpu. Or sticking with mATX and then upgrading cpu - and then buying a second gpu.

My opinion would be just run single GPU, easier to manage.

And back to the initial question, for me, ATX size just looks better as it fills up the case, got my system in a SPEC-03 now but considering changing to a 400C soon.

It's subjective, some people like it small and compact.

So, you basically have an mATX + i3 now or I understand it wrongly?

12 minutes ago, Ichi said:

My opinion would be just run single GPU, easier to manage.

And back to the initial question, for me, ATX size just looks better as it fills up the case, got my system in a SPEC-03 now but considering changing to a 400C soon.

It's subjective, some people like it small and compact.

So, you basically have an mATX + i3 now or I understand it wrongly?

That's the plan! Unless I can afford an i5 by the time I have saved up some money. Also since the EU Referendum is coming up in the UK things might get much more or less expensive in the next six months. 

1 minute ago, EdwardBrown said:

That's the plan! Unless I can afford an i5 by the time I have saved up some money. Also since the EU Referendum is coming up in the UK things might get much more or less expensive in the next six months. 

If it's not urgent then just save up a little more, it's better to get the best that you can buy rather than cheap out and upgrade more later.

I've seen alot people getting cheapo i3 + crappy GT 730/740 and end up overhauling the system in few months, in this particular setup i would suggest them to get an i5 and save up for proper GPU, it will last them longer and they actually spend less money this way.

1 minute ago, Ichi said:

If it's not urgent then just save up a little more, it's better to get the best that you can buy rather than cheap out and upgrade more later.

I've seen alot people getting cheapo i3 + crappy GT 730/740 and end up overhauling the system in few months, in this particular setup i would suggest them to get an i5 and save up for proper GPU, it will last them longer and they actually spend less money this way.

Im planning on the RX 480 - I hope it turns out nice!

Do remember that mATX in some way limit your range of motherboards. There are a lot more variation in boards and prices for normal ATX or even ITX, speaking as a mATX owner myself. Same goes for cases, mATX is sort of the in-between that few people have. If you want small size go for ITX, if you care more for SLI capability go for ATX. If both, mATX - but know that it is the smallest marketshare (I believe) and therefor the fewest options. 

On the whole CPU - GPU thing. If you really are focused on editing you put money into a nice i7 and one GPU. Trust me SLI is a annoyance and not worth it if you can just get a single GPU card. If we talk about gaming you have the micro-stuttering and all that, not to mention all the titles that don't even properly support it. If we talk about other things such as editing, the amount of software that support dual GPU usage is tiny, so unless you use a specific software that use this and it is extremely important to you, it is not worth the cost over what a proper CPU will give you.