Is it worth trying to do better than 60fps on a 1080p 60hz monitor?

greaves1111

The monitor is one of the last pieces I need for the new computer, and I'm a few paydays away from having the spare cash to pick it up!

I currently have an old LG 1080p 60hz monitor that I've had for about 6 years that I'm using in the meantime (1070 gpu, i6700k build). In the meantime, has anyone tried out to pump out some extra fps on something that old? Does it look so bad that it's worth waiting on the monitor to support it?

Thanks

Are you asking about overclocking your monitor? I wouldn't recommend it unless the manufacturer advertises that it's overclockable.

1 minute ago, Virtual01 said:

Are you asking about overclocking your monitor? I wouldn't recommend it unless the manufacturer advertises that it's overclockable.

nah, I wouldn't want to try that on such an old monitor. Maybe a better question would be is it even possible to achieve better than 60fps on a 1080p 60hz monitor? Thanks for your response.

11 minutes ago, greaves1111 said:

nah, I wouldn't want to try that on such an old monitor. Maybe a better question would be is it even possible to achieve better than 60fps on a 1080p 60hz monitor? Thanks for your response.

By definition, I'm pretty sure your GPU can output more FPS than your monitor but it is capped at it's refresh rate. I may be wrong though.

Edit: Just double checked and yeah, it seems to be so. More FPS can also lead to screen tearing so...

Edited by aarr44
New info

Some argue that higher fps is still better even on just 60hz, when I upgraded my gpu before my monitor I felt like it was smoother

2 minutes ago, thatguyyouknow75 said:

Some argue that higher fps is still better even on just 60hz, when I upgraded my gpu before my monitor I felt like it was smoother

Is that not physically impossible though? If you monitor can refresh 60 times a second at max, how could anything feel smoother than 60 FPS?

2 minutes ago, thatguyyouknow75 said:

Well maybe micro stutter? even when the fps counter says 60fps, with a weaker gpu you might experience it. I play csgo on 300fps and there is no difference to games that i play in 60fps vsync on( exept that the one with vsync looks smoother because there is no tearing. Vsync adds delay thus dont use it in fps games.

Winning an argument with a woman step by step

step one - talk to her

step two - fight with her for 2 hours even if you are really right

step three - admit that she is right for the sake of your safety

step four - realize that you have accomplished nothing and she still thinks you were wrong and now she thinks you are even more stupid

GTX1080ti, I5-4690k, ASUS Z97 PRO-GAMER, 8GB DDR3 1600mhz, Hyper 212 EVO, Tt view 31 RGB.

25 minutes ago, aarr44 said:

Is that not physically impossible though? If you monitor can refresh 60 times a second at max, how could anything feel smoother than 60 FPS?

Because your computer doesn't do exactly 60 fps, it can microstutter or there can be latency in the connection etc, just allows for a buffer

No, except for CS:GO

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii