165hz not working on my Asus ROG PG279Q

squigy7

i have a 980 TI card and 165hz is not showing up as an option in my Nvidia control panel after OCing the monitor. Any suggestions?cam_061116_1.jpg

If you're using a Asus ROG Swift PG278Q, Then the maximum refresh rate is only up to a 144Hz.

Just now, Eldridge Friend said:

If you're using a Asus ROG Swift PG278Q, Then the maximum refresh rate is only up to a 144Hz.

up to 144Hz***

Sorry I used the wrong model number I have the PG279Q.

You have to use your monitor's OSD (on screen display) to navigate to the Overclocking (Should be labled OC or something, sorry not at home).

You enable the overclock and raise the refresh rate to 165.

Monitor will probably restart, then you should be able to see the option in Resolution setting in Windows / nVIDIA Control Panel.

I tried the OC on the OSD and I got a message that told me to reboot then check control panel and only 144hz was my highest option.

That means you have a displayport cable that is not good enough to run 165hz.

Get a new displayport cable, preferably not no-name-Made-In-China, or you need to re-route your monitor cable to avoid any place that will have a lot of electro magnetic interference (if you are still going to use cheaper cables).

I have had problem running my monitor at higher refresh rate until I got a decent cable, as I was trying to do 3m+ length of cabling.

You are probably right any suggestions for a good brand of cable?

I just used the cable that came with the monitor and it worked. Playing Overwatch at 165hz is pure goodness!

• 6 months later...

What you actually should have done was right clicked onto your monitor, go to advanced settings for your display adapter properties, set the hertz to 165hz, then switch to 165hz on your osd... haha

i7 8700K Overclocked to 5.2 GHZ, Asus 1080 TI ROG STRIX OC EDITION, Asus PRIME Z370-A Motherboard, G.Skill Trident Z 32GB 3200mhz ,

Corsair Nepton H100i v2, ThermalTake ToughPower 750W Gold, 

Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe Internal SSD 256GB , Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe Internal SSD 500GB, 3TB Seagate HDD, 4TB HGST HDD, Fractal Design R5 Black w/SidePanel, 

ASUS PG279Q 165hz 1440p Monitor, Corsair K65 LUX RGB Keyboard, Logitech G Pro WirelessZowie Camade, Sennheiser HD 6xx, Audiotechnica AT2020 Rode PSA-1