Windows 8.1 Ad Featuring Start Button

RyanTH98

Windows 8.1 is just around the corner, and Microsoft is already readying advertisements on their YouTube channel. In this first ad, the return of the revered Start button functionality is spotlighted. It may not be the same button we're used to from prior Windows releases, but this iteration looks to at least acknowledge the massive changes from 7 to 8.

The 30-second clip highlights the customizable Start screen and the "return" of the Start button, as well as Snap view, which allows you to (finally) run multiple apps simultaneously. And though Windows 8.1 isn't officially mentioned, in the YouTube description, via TheNextWeb, there's much more than what meets the eye.

Perhaps Windows 8.1 will offer significant improvement upon the issues we've seen with the OS so far.

Article Link: http://www.maximumpc.com/windows_81_ad_featuring_start_button_2013

No, that is all.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I still get mad how Microsoft completely ignores PC's in all their new ads/announcements about Windows

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

I still get mad how Microsoft completely ignores PC's in all their new ads/announcements about Windows

Well windows 8 isn't exactly designed for desktops

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Well windows 8 isn't exactly designed for PC's....

desktops*

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

desktops*

Yeh...ok ;p

I like Windows 8, have no problems with it, so looking forward to the 8.1 update!

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

I understand how microsoft wants to make it easy to launch programs for tablet PC users. If they used the old style on the touchscreen, it would be hard as the start menu list is small which makes it easy to launch programs accidentally

That's a good a. It explains Windows 8 new interface to some level.

And they say "tablet, PC, and Surface"

They don't need to say Desktop... because if they say, then they'll need to say:

- Desktop, Laptop, Ultrabooks, Thin & Light, Ultra portable, Workstation, Portable Workstation, all in one, hybrid laptop-tablet, hybrid desktop-tablet, etc...

That's a very long list. PC is sufficient.

I understand how microsoft wants to make it easy to launch programs for tablet PC users. If they used the old style on the touchscreen, it would be hard as the start menu list is small which makes it easy to launch programs accidentally

It's just a start button only added back (not the start menu), but ironically, for any of you who used a windows 8 tablet might feel the same as me... its BETTER with a start button on the desktop EVEN in a touchscreen. 

Few major things so far win 8.1 that I noticed (as a laptop/desktop user):

1. They fixed the start=> search, no more extra clicks for search (yeah, there's win+w... pita)
  2. windows image backup (aka "window 7 backup in win 8.0) gui is removed.  Though you can still do it using powershell (pretty easy once you know the single line command).
  3. windows explorer and library changes... I'm still trying it out.

will be doing install from upgrade to see if it goes smooth.

My Rigs (past and present)