Looking for new headphones

vanished

Open for "why" if you care:

Spoiler

So I've recently been looking around at something to replace a ~30 year old pair of K240s with taped up cables xD

My main issues with them are comfort actually.  They easily slide around, and when wearing them for over an hour the top of my ears starts to hurt.  I have a feeling this is due to a combination of 3 factors: the inner diameter of the pads is just a little too small, the headband is completely slack and so they sit lower than they should, and the depth of the pads is insufficient, causing my ears to touch the flat speaker cover part.

I was looking at the M50x at first but after getting past the initial reviews of everyone loving them, I've seen complaints about everything from comfort to sound quality.

My main priorities here are:

• comfort
  • easy to drive (I need to be able to use this with pretty much anything, like a phone, on board audio, etc.)
  • good isolation, both inward and outward would be a big plus
  • if possible, detachable pads and cable, but this is not critical

And of course good sound and build quality, but that's assumed isn't it? ;) 

I don't really have a set budget - I'd consider anything from $50 up to $350 (Canadian :() honestly; good value and achieving my goals above are the primary concerns.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

That's typically the price they go for, in USD!

yea i was looking at a pair of msr7s so i can have a closed back set since i got some akg k7xx open backs but yea that is a good price considering the regulars are like 250-270usd, least that ive seen

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

7 minutes ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

alright I put in the order! :D  Thanks :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I was going to tell you to check out the 598 for 200 cad, but the above seems like a better deal.

https://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-HD-598-Headphones-Accents/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1465510882&sr=8-2&keywords=hd+558

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Yeah by the looks of reviews that I quickly read/watched, the MSR7s are gonna be great! :D  And he's right about the price - looks like they are typically $250 US give or take so to get it for that CAD is pretty good!  Only downside is that link looks like it's going to take quite a while to ship.