AMD drivers degraded themselves

carzacc
Go to solution Solved by imreloadin,
3 minutes ago, carzacc said:

Snip

You need to tell Windows to not update drivers on it's own.

Go to This Computer > System Properties > Advanced System Settings > Click the Hardware tab > Click the Device Installation Settings button under the heading of the same name > Click No and then save changes.

I've done that and it has never updated any drivers on my machine since I updated and there have been several updates that have come out that I've decided to pass on.

I recently "upgraded" to Windows 10 (aka MSX) and it uninstalled my updated AMD drivers and got me an old version.

That's fine, I updated the drivers and I have no problems.

Today I was looking for the AMD Radeon Settings but right clicking on the desktop didn't show any AMD drivers icon.

I used the search feature and found out that good old Catalyst was back!GREAT!

I checked the driver version on Afterburner (I mainly use it for the OSD) and it said it is 15.8, that is pretty old (not ancient but pre-Radeon Settings for sure).

Why did it happen?

Now I downloaded the drivers from the AMD site and I'm installing them but I want to know what the heck caused this stuff to happen

APU: AMD A10-7850K cooled by an NH-L12; PSU(going to upgrade sooner or later):  Antec VP450P;RAM: 2x4GB HyperX Savage 2133MHz; MOBO: Asus A68HM-Plus; CASE: Itek [something] ; HDD: WD Blue 1TB(WD10EZEX)

OS: Triple boot openSUSE Leap Debian Jessie and Windows 10(aka MSX)

3 minutes ago, carzacc said:

Snip

Go to This Computer > System Properties > Advanced System Settings > Click the Hardware tab > Click the Device Installation Settings button under the heading of the same name > Click No and then save changes.

I've done that and it has never updated any drivers on my machine since I updated and there have been several updates that have come out that I've decided to pass on.

5 minutes ago, carzacc said:

I recently "upgraded" to Windows 10 (aka MSX) and it uninstalled my updated AMD drivers and got me an old version.

Today I was looking for the AMD Radeon Settings but right clicking on the desktop didn't show any AMD drivers icon.

I checked the driver version on Afterburner (I mainly use it for the OSD) and it said it is 15.8, that is pretty old (not ancient but pre-Radeon Settings for sure).

Why did it happen?

Now I downloaded the drivers from the AMD site and I'm installing them but I want to know what the heck caused this stuff to happen

drivers are pretty sophisticated and can be a bit weird sometimes. I'm not entirely sure why it is, but if it happens again, you may want to use DDU to completely uninstall old drivers and do a fresh install. 

Me: Computer Engineer. Geek. Nerd.

[Educational] Computer Architecture: Computer Memory Hierarchy

[Educational] Computer Architecture:  What is SSE/AVX? (SIMD)

2 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

What?Windows 8.1 never did that to me.

GG Microsoft

APU: AMD A10-7850K cooled by an NH-L12; PSU(going to upgrade sooner or later):  Antec VP450P;RAM: 2x4GB HyperX Savage 2133MHz; MOBO: Asus A68HM-Plus; CASE: Itek [something] ; HDD: WD Blue 1TB(WD10EZEX)

4 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

that's odd... Windows update downloads missing drivers but never reverted them for me..

Then again nvidia never overhauled its drivers before as with the crimson drivers, so that may be the root of the problem

Me: Computer Engineer. Geek. Nerd.

[Educational] Computer Architecture: Computer Memory Hierarchy

[Educational] Computer Architecture:  What is SSE/AVX? (SIMD)

2 minutes ago, Wander Away said:

that's odd... Windows update downloads missing drivers but never reverted them for me..

Maybe they have trouble recognizing AMD Radeon Settings-related drivers as Catalyst drivers and it still only knows that old Catalyst drivers exist.

I don't know, it's weird

4 minutes ago, Wander Away said:

Then again nvidia never overhauled its drivers before as with the crimson drivers, so that may be the root of the problem

It hasn't happened on my machine with my GTX 970, but then again I do this with any new Windows 10 machine I have, it never downgraded drivers for my R9 270X on my other machine after doing that though.

In MSI AfterBurner it will still say it runs 15.8, even with the latest driver, but if you right-click on your desktop, does it show radeon crimson settings or something like that? It should pop up a gray-red window. Also, in radeon crimson, the old style still exists, if you open up the additional settings.

2 minutes ago, Naijin said:

In MSI AfterBurner it will still say it runs 15.8, even with the latest driver, but if you right-click on your desktop, does it show radeon crimson settings or something like that? It should pop up a gray-red window. Also, in radeon crimson, the old style still exists, if you open up the additional settings.

I updated, read again what I wrote and don't ask what I already said

AMD Radeon Settings wasn't present anymore on my PC at all

There was just the old catalyst

4 minutes ago, carzacc said:

I updated, read again what I wrote and don't ask what I already said

AMD Radeon Settings wasn't present anymore on my PC at all

There was just the old catalyst

I see, my bad. Maybe the newer drivers on your previous version of windows weren't compatible with win 10 and it installed a previous version that was compatible.

1 minute ago, Naijin said:

I see, my bad. Maybe the newer drivers on your previous version of windows weren't compatible with win 10 and it installed a previous version that was compatible.

It was compatible, I chose Windows 10 from amd.com!

Anyway what @imreloadinsaid is probably going to fix it

39 minutes ago, carzacc said:

It was compatible, I chose Windows 10 from amd.com!

Anyway what @imreloadinsaid is probably going to fix it

Let me know if it fixes it for you or not.

1 hour ago, carzacc said:

Why did it happen?

You need to do a clean install of Windows.  There is no telling what kinds of driver issues you're going to come up with.  If you need help, please follow the guide in my signature.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

13 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Let me know if it fixes it for you or not.

Today I still have the right drivers, I guess that having disabled that option it would make ZERO sense for something like that to happen again.

13 hours ago, JefferyD90 said:

You need to do a clean install of Windows.  There is no telling what kinds of driver issues you're going to come up with.  If you need help, please follow the guide in my signature.

If I have problems again I will consider that option, atm I don't see why I should go through all of the annoyances that come with a clean install.

9 hours ago, carzacc said:

Today I still have the right drivers, I guess that having disabled that option it would make ZERO sense for something like that to happen again.

If I have problems again I will consider that option, atm I don't see why I should go through all of the annoyances that come with a clean install.

I'm going to assume that you're doing installs wrong.  They're really not that big of a annoyance, its really more just waiting for the computer to do what it needs to do.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

18 hours ago, JefferyD90 said:

I'm going to assume that you're doing installs wrong.  They're really not that big of a annoyance, its really more just waiting for the computer to do what it needs to do.

What does "doing installs wrong" mean?

It still takes a lot of time, however you do it.

I have to download everything with my unstable internet connection (normally is 15-17 Mbps, but it sometimes drops to less than 7), install everything to the WD Blue and then configure everything I had already configured.

For no reason.

Nice!

6 hours ago, carzacc said:

What does "doing installs wrong" mean?

It still takes a lot of time, however you do it.

I have to download everything with my unstable internet connection (normally is 15-17 Mbps, but it sometimes drops to less than 7), install everything to the WD Blue and then configure everything I had already configured.

For no reason.

Nice!

Then you're doing it wrong.  It takes me no more than 2-3 hours to do it myself and I have a slower internet connection than you.

Spoiler

On 11/6/2016 at 7:26 PM, JefferyD90 said:

Then you're doing it wrong.  It takes me no more than 2-3 hours to do it myself and I have a slower internet connection than you.

So what is the right way to install a terabyte of stuff from the Internet?

That will take me 2-3 minutes, since to me 2-3 hours is quite a lot of time to waste on nothing.