Getting shocked

Gapehorn

So ive just recently completed my build but theres one problem . i realize everytime i touch something metallic like the usb connectors , audio connectors,  screws  etc. i get shocked . is there anything im doing wrong or what? if it helps my build is : 

CPU: i7-4770

MOTHERBOARD : MSI Z97-PC MATE

Ram : 8 GB of generic 1333mhz ddr3

GPU : ASUS GTX 750 TI OC edition

CPU Cooler : Cryorig H7

PSU : Thermaltake Smart series 530w semi-modular power supply

CASE : Corsair Carbide 400C

THanks for your help and thanks for viewing ! :D

Yeah thats not good, just to check and stuff you made sure that you used all of the standoffs and you put them in correctly right?

Well if you are walking with socks on a  carpet and than touching the PC I'm not surprised. Is your PC on a wooden floor or carpet? Are you wearing any sweaters or something? Did you try grounding yourself before you touch the PC?

CPU - i5-8400 , Motherboard - ASROCK Z370 Killer SLI, RAM - 2x8 GB DDR4 2400mhz , GPU - EVGA GTX 950 SC, Case - SilentiumPC PAX M70 Pure Black V2 Storage - 240GB SanDisk SSD, 1TB WD Blue, PSU - bequite! 600w Pure Power 10, Display - Dell P2417H, Cooling - bequiet! Pure Rock, Keyboard - Viper V730, Mouse - natec Genesis G55, Sound - Philips MCD712, OS - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

36 minutes ago, User1868 said:

Well if you are walking with socks on a  carpet and than touching the PC I'm not surprised. Is your PC on a wooden floor or carpet? Are you wearing any sweaters or something? Did you try grounding yourself before you touch the PC?

err its on a carpet , it happens everytime i touch it tho

1 hour ago, Gapehorn said:

err its on a carpet , it happens everytime i touch it tho

Try getting a piece of plywood or flooring and placing your PC on top of it instead of the carpet.  This is what I did with my PC when it was on my carpeted floor.  Not only does it help stabilize the PC better, but it helps with dust buildup as well.  The PC being directly on the carpet may have something to do with you getting shocked.

System:  i7-6700k @ 4.5 GHz Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 16GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 | Gigabyte GA-Z170N Gaming 5 ITX 

Corsair SF600 SFX PSU Seagate 2TB HDD, 1TB SSHD | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB Boot DriveSilverstone ML08B-H |

1 minute ago, Autoimmunity said:

Try getting a piece of plywood or flooring and placing your PC on top of it instead of the carpet.  This is what I did with my PC when it was on my carpeted floor.  Not only does it help stabilize the PC better, but it helps with dust buildup as well.  The PC being directly on the carpet may have something to do with you getting shocked.

whoops my bad , it does not have direct contact with the carpet , its on a table thats on the carpet

9 hours ago, Gapehorn said:

-SNIP-

Check to see also if your system is properly grounded via the power plug in the wall if your not grounded that can be a potential safety hazard. 

Is this a static electric shock, or a continuous shock?

Because they are entirely different things.  

Static is from you accumulating a charge (say from walking across the carpet) and then discharging it to a ground source (the chassis, which is in contact with the ground prong of your power plug.)

A continuous shock means the source is from the wall and there is something seriously wrong with the wiring inside the case - most likely within the PSU.

Please tell me you have not somehow defeated the ground (the round one) pin of your power cord?  It is also possible that, if your house is old enough the three prong outlet may not actually be grounded. 

2 minutes ago, ThomasD said:

Is this a static electric shock, or a continuous shock?

Because they are entirely different things.  

Static is from you accumulating a charge (say from walking across the carpet) and then discharging it to a ground source (the chassis, which is in contact with the ground prong of your power plug.)

A continuous shock means the source is from the wall and there is something seriously wrong with the wiring inside the case - most likely within the PSU.

Please tell me you have not somehow defeated the ground (the round one) pin of your power cord?  It is also possible that, if your house is old enough the three prong outlet may not actually be grounded. 

its a continuous shock , also what does ' defeated the ground ' mean ?

3 minutes ago, Gapehorn said:

its a continuous shock , also what does ' defeated the ground ' mean ?

Meaning you either removed that round prong, or are using an adapter that connects a three prong cord to a two prong outlet.  Losing the connection of that third prong means 'defeating' it's grounding effect.  If you have not done something like that then you have not defeated the ground.  But that does not guarantee your wall outlet has a proper ground.

A PSU gets 110 volt AC input from the wall, it then converts that into outputs of 12 volts DC, 5 volts DC, and 3.3 volts DC.  None of those outputs should be capable of making you feel a shock.

Most likely there is wall AC voltage on the chassis - indicating some sort of fault within the PSU, but that voltage should be getting taken down by the ground connection with the wall outlet.  Under most circumstances this sort of short circuit results in heavy current flowing to ground - enough to trip the 15 amp circuit breaker common to most residential wiring.

But again, that assumes the wiring is up to current code...

2 minutes ago, ThomasD said:

Meaning you either removed that round prong, or are using an adapter that connects a three prong cord to a two prong outlet.  Losing the connection of that third prong means 'defeating' it's grounding effect.  If you have not done something like that then you have not defeated the ground.  But that does not guarantee your wall outlet has a proper ground.

A PSU gets 110 volt AC input from the wall, it then converts that into outputs of 12 volts DC, 5 volts DC, and 3.3 volts DC.  None of those outputs should be capable of making you feel a shock.

Most likely there is wall AC voltage on the chassis - indicating some sort of fault within the PSU, but that voltage should be getting taken down by the ground connection with the wall outlet.  Under most circumstances this sort of short circuit results in heavy current flowing to ground - enough to trip the 15 amp circuit breaker common to most residential wiring.

But again, that assumes the wiring is up to current code...

hmm i see . im not using any adapter its just a 3 pronged cord to a 3 pronged outlet . but maybe it has something to do with the fact that im getting power from an extension sort of thing ( see the photos ) so when i renovated my room there wasnt any nearby outlet to my table so the guy just took power from the outlet and connected it here .

IMG_5469.JPG

IMG_5468.JPG

IMG_5470.JPG

Sorry, I assumed you were in North America.  Looks like you are maybe in the UK or somewhere else.

Doesn't change things too much, still the same general concepts, just that your wall AC may be of a higher voltage and the ground (often called Earth in the UK)  prong is that 'top' one in the photo.

Here in the US we can buy a simple device that plugs into a wall outlet to confirm that it is wired properly.  I assume the same can be had in your location as well.  

This is an example of one for our use.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Gear-50542-3-Wire-Receptacle/dp/B002LZTKIA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1465567634&sr=8-5&keywords=outlet+tester

I would start by either getting one, or finding someone who has one, and checking your wiring.  I also would advise not using the computer until you sort this issue out.

1 minute ago, ThomasD said:

Sorry, I assumed you were in North America.  Looks like you are maybe in the UK or somewhere else.

Doesn't change things too much, still the same general concepts, just that your wall AC may be of a higher voltage and the ground prong is that 'top' one in the photo.

Here in the US we can buy a simple device that plugs into a wall outlet to confirm that it is wired properly.  I assume the same can be had in your location as well.  

This is an example of one for our use.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Gear-50542-3-Wire-Receptacle/dp/B002LZTKIA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1465567634&sr=8-5&keywords=outlet+tester

I would start by either getting one, or finding someone who has one, and checking your wiring.  I also would advise not using the computer until you sort this issue out.

ok sure thanks

It sounds like a wiring problem. It sounds as though the "hot" is connected to your computer's chassis. This could be either incorrect wiring in your wall outlet, or incorrect wiring inside the power supply.

(Or a less likely incorrect wiring in the power cable.)

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD