Need Portable Audio Recording Setup for E3

Hello,

I am looking for a portable audio recording setup for E3. I plan on recording small bits of video with my Canon Rebel T3i, but the onboard microphone definitely isn't going to work in a large crowd environment. I want to be able to raise a mic to my face to record pretty solid audio, but also be able to hand a microphone to others close by without attracting a ton of crowd noise. Obviously there's going to be some of it

So far I've been thinking about either a lavaliere plugged into a digital recorder like this (http://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-DR-05-Portable-Digital-Recorder/dp/B004OU2IQG?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_gw_g267_i1_r) OR a standard mic plugged into a digital recorder. Of course I wouldn't be able to record others if I had a lavaliere, but if that's the better option that I might want to go that route.

Which setup should I go for and what specific items should I get? Price is not a huge issue, I just want to keep under $300 or $400 for the setup. Any advice from anyone with experience recording audio in crowded environments would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

JV