CPU cooler socket

IJarbo

Hi, so I have a noctua CPU cooler on a LGA 1366 mobo (I7 920). Will this cooler fit into a new socket like 1151? or do i have to get a new cooler?  I´m wondering this since I´m thinking of uppgrading to a i5 6600k

It should have the mounting holes, that's assuming it's either the NH-L12 or the NH-D14 (these ones support 1366 out of the box, without the add on kit) :)

inb4 someone starts to rant about how supposedly the i7 920 is still a much better option than the 6600k

/s

on topic: you will need different mounting hardware for it, if you held onto the mounting hardware it had in the box, look for the brackets for lga1155/1156/1150/1151 (they're all the same)

i don´t have the box and the thing that came with the cooler, i got the computer used, so i need this adapter thing to make it work?

Although this is a poor stock image, most after market CPU coolers will have extra positions on the bracket to support multiple CPU's of the same brand, cutting costs down by doing so, else the coolers would be far to expensive if they had to engineer multiple types (more than already out there anyway)

Frio_Mount.jpg

2 minutes ago, cayphed said:

Although this is a poor stock image, most after market CPU coolers will have extra positions on the bracket to support multiple CPU's of the same brand, cutting costs down by doing so, else the coolers would be far to expensive if they had to engineer multiple types (more than already out there anyway)

Frio_Mount.jpg

so you think it will work?

Yeah, it should, lol, but you haven't said what cooler it is...

Do you know what it is? (model number)

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

inb4 someone starts to rant about how supposedly the i7 920 is still a much better option than the 6600k

/s

on topic: you will need different mounting hardware for it, if you held onto the mounting hardware it had in the box, look for the brackets for lga1155/1156/1150/1151 (they're all the same)

i´m ready

3 minutes ago, IJarbo said:

i´m ready

That's great! What's the coolers model number? ie:NH-L12

i said i was ready for the guys that will say that a 920 is better than a 6600k, but i´m not sure what modelnumber it is, i´m in school now but i can check when i get home

If you're using the SecuFirm2 mounting kit, you should be able to use the same hardware. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you're using the SecuFirm2 mounting kit, you should be able to use the same hardware. 

I have no idea what that is... guess i will get a new cooler anyway so yeah.

28 minutes ago, IJarbo said:

I have no idea what that is... guess i will get a new cooler anyway so yeah.

Do you not know what cooler you have? 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

14 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Do you not know what cooler you have? 

It's easy enough to forget, the PC world revolves around some seriously stupid model numbers, give the kid a moment to go home and check, then we'll try helping, yeah?

4 minutes ago, cayphed said:

It's easy enough to forget, the PC world revolves around some seriously stupid model numbers, give the kid a moment to go home and check, then we'll try helping, yeah?

well then it's on him to google noctua, and secufirm 2 and see if he has that mount? 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

I could not find the model number, but it will take a  while until i can afford my upgrade so i guess i can see then later on. Thanks for trying to help me anyway (:

14 hours ago, Heesleemer said:

well then it's on him to google noctua, and secufirm 2 and see if he has that mount? 

i checked the mount and do not have it but it seems to be really cheap so it probably won´t be a problem thanks for the help!

1 minute ago, IJarbo said:

I could not find the model number, but it will take a  while until i can afford my upgrade so i guess i can see then later on. Thanks for trying to help me anyway (:

Can you post picture of cooler? We can help to identify it. Also, since you probably don't have receipt (to get free mounting kit), you can buy mounting hardware if its compatible. Its about €10 per kit.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Can you post picture of cooler? We can help to identify it. Also, since you probably don't have receipt (to get free mounting kit), you can buy mounting hardware if its compatible. Its about €10 per kit.

yeah, i can do that in a couple of hours

so i looked on Noctuas website and i think that it is the NH-D14 and it seems like it is compatible with LGA 1151 without any extra mounting kit

22 hours ago, IJarbo said:

so i looked on Noctuas website and i think that it is the NH-D14 and it seems like it is compatible with LGA 1151 without any extra mounting kit

Well, if its dual tower... yeah it will work.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv