A temporary solution for Intel HD Graphics

Karmek

I am willing to spend some money on a decent GPU but after the hype I was overthinking my idea of spending almost 800,- Euros for a GTX 1080. I come to find it a plain cash grab the more I search the internet for information about some of this card's... design decisions and the possibility that a ti-version might be lurking around the corner already.

So I would like to ask again but this time with focus on having a budget alternative to Intel HD Graphics.

Target is 1080p/900p gaming at medium quality settings until we see more about Vega or 1080ti.

I am desperate but I am willing to sit this out. :D

A 750 ti would coast about 100$ and should be able to play 1080p at decent settings.

Smoke Weed Every Day!

GTX 750 Ti, R7 265 or R7 360. Maybe GTX 950 if your budget allows. Pricier than these three, but easily better.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Many thanks! I gonna look into those.

20 minutes ago, Karmek said:

I am willing to spend some money on a decent GPU but after the hype I was overthinking my idea of spending almost 800,- Euros for a GTX 1080. I come to find it a plain cash grab the more I search the internet for information about some of this card's... design decisions and the possibility that a ti-version might be lurking around the corner already.

So I would like to ask again but this time with focus on having a budget alternative to Intel HD Graphics.

Target is 1080p/900p gaming at medium quality settings until we see more about Vega or 1080ti.

I am desperate but I am willing to sit this out. :D

If you agree that the 1080 is too expensive, the 1070 will always come to the rescue. And a used 980ti (which you should buy for cheaper than a 1070) is also valid.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

If budget is going to be an issue buying a card later, I would not buy one right now to hold you over until you make up your mind.  It's just money wasted.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

4 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

If you agree that the 1080 is too expensive, the 1070 will always come to the rescue. And a used 980ti (which you should buy for cheaper than a 1070) is also valid.

That's definately an option.

6 minutes ago, givegomezthegun said:

If budget is going to be an issue buying a card later, I would not buy one right now to hold you over until you make up your mind.  It's just money wasted.

Budget is not the issue however, I have a serious problem with Nvidia's pricing policy. The 100,- bucks for an intermediate card are well invested compared to simply burning 100,- bucks more on a card that is overpriced due to lack of competition. Vega might turn the tables and I wanna wait and pick the best one for my needs.

Depends what you want.  I wouldn't make a video card purchase based on sheer hype alone.  Just look at the games you want to play and see what you need to play that game at the desired setting plus have a little headroom (look at benchmarks).  Otherwise, you can overspend on something you don't need.

Personally I have a gtx 950, which is fine for the decent settings 900/1080p use case.

You could consider buying two RX 480s and Crossfiring them if you feel the need to "stick it to the man". For an interim card, I'd recommend a used r9 280. The average price is about 140 USD on ebay and they run 1080p at 60fps on high to ultra depending on the game.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

Thanks again for the rich feedback!

An RX 480 which has around as much power as a 980 presumably will be released end of june and if the specs are true its only 200$ and 230$ for the 8gb of VRAM version