I got it in the butt with a virus plz help

Shpadee
Go to solution Solved by vanished,
1 minute ago, Shpadee said:

If I reinstall on my SSD, will all the files on my HDD remain the same?

Yes.  You'll want to make sure those are clean too though, and if you can't be sure, you'll have to wipe that and recover from a backup.

Alrightyyy. Here's what's up: Got a virus (on Windows 10). I had to figure out how to re-enable Defender after it it disabled it and scanned my PC with both Defender and Malwarebytes. After scanning with Malwarebytes and rebooting, it brings me to the login screen but once I login there's just a gray screen and a little bar that says "Windows" in the bottom left. It doesn't do anything from there. Obviously, I don't want to format anything so I thought of a couple things:

1. If I perform the reset option will I keep my personal files and the malware will be deleted?

2. I have Ubuntu on a partition, can I do anything from there?

That's about it, if you have any ideas as to how I can clean things up without losing everything that'd be fantastic. Thanks!

I believe ClamAV (program for Ubuntu) can scan for and remove Windows viruses.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

22 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I believe ClamAV (program for Ubuntu) can scan for and remove Windows viruses.

Will this only scan the partition Linux is on?

4 minutes ago, Shpadee said:

Will this only scan the partition Linux is on?

I think you can make it scan whatever you want.  Obviously you will have to mount the windows partition if it isn't already, but I assume that's already setup.  If not, it's as simple as a click or two.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Scanning.... we will see i it does any good. Any idea if resetting will work or what I can do in Windows?

Personally I would just format and reinstall, but everyone's situation is different and that may not be appropriate for you.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Personally I would just format and reinstall, but everyone's situation is different and that may not be appropriate for you.

1 minute ago, Shpadee said:

Yes.  You'll want to make sure those are clean too though, and if you can't be sure, you'll have to wipe that and recover from a backup.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Ok thanks for your time!