Computer turns on but doesn't show ANYTHING on the monitor

Go to solution Solved by refinedskillz,

Reset the CMOS.

Most likely it will fix it.

Also dont forget to try a different cable.

Hi everyone,

So last night I was gaming and everything was perfectly fine. NO problems whatsoever. This morning I  turned on my computer and it starts up, but literally nothing is shown on my monitor. I think it boots fully to the windows welcome screen (I have a password and it can't go any further) because when I try to turn it off I need to hold the power button for at least 10 seconds. I have read that maybe my RAM is playing up or the motherboard or the GPU, but literally last night everything was working normally while playing video games. And I also don't suspect the PSU, because it actually boots just without showing. And yes, the cables are checked and all the switches are on.

What do you think it could be? Regards, Milosh.

5 minutes ago, trtiich said:

Hi everyone,

So last night I was gaming and everything was perfectly fine. NO problems whatsoever. This morning I  turned on my computer and it starts up, but literally nothing is shown on my monitor. I think it boots fully to the windows welcome screen (I have a password and it can't go any further) because when I try to turn it off I need to hold the power button for at least 10 seconds. I have read that maybe my RAM is playing up or the motherboard or the GPU, but literally last night everything was working normally while playing video games. And I also don't suspect the PSU, because it actually boots just without showing. And yes, the cables are checked and all the switches are on.

GPU fans turn on when booting?

5 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

Have you tried plugging in your video cable to your integrated graphics (if you have them)? 

No, because I have to switch to integrated graphics in the BIOS, I tried way back to do this and it wouldn't work because I guess it doesn't matter where you plug in the cables if the BIOS is controlling this, but will try right now.

1 minute ago, Flowey said:

GPU fans turn on when booting?

Yes, 2/3 fans are spinning, but this is normal because the third kicks in only when things get intensive.

2 minutes ago, trtiich said:

No, because I have to switch to integrated graphics in the BIOS, I tried way back to do this and it wouldn't work because I guess it doesn't matter where you plug in the cables if the BIOS is controlling this

Hummm I know that with my own mobo (ASUS z170-A) I just plug in the DVI cable into the OI port and it pops up on the screen, you shouldn't need to fuck around the BIOS to make it work

9 minutes ago, trtiich said:

Hi everyone,

And that might sound stupid but have you tried a good old' reset? You just didn't specifically mention it in your post

And that might sound stupid but have you tried a good old' reset? You just didn't specifically mention it in your post

You mean like power down with the power button and then power up? Or something else?

5 minutes ago, Flowey said:

Hummm I know that with my own mobo (ASUS z170-A) I just plug in the DVI cable into the OI port and it pops up on the screen, you shouldn't need to fuck around the BIOS to make it work

No this did not work. The same thing persists.

I also don't think it's mobo's fault because it has intergrated LED line (a line across the whole motherboard that lights up when I press the power button) and it works normally.

Reset the CMOS.

Most likely it will fix it.

Also dont forget to try a different cable.

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.

28 minutes ago, trtiich said:

You mean like power down with the power button and then power up? Or something else?

That.

Reseting CMOS is always the first thing I try, don't know why I didn't think about that first thing, crap

8 minutes ago, Flowey said:

That.

Reseting CMOS is always the first thing I try, don't know why I didn't think about that first thing, crap

Is there someway you'd recommend me to remove it? I can't get it out of the slot, it's small af

2 minutes ago, trtiich said:

Is there someway you'd recommend me to remove it? I can't get it out of the slot, it's small af

wut.

mine is so easy to emove m8

I know in my BIOS I've got an option to reset it there, maybe that's available for u

wut.

mine is so easy to emove m8

I know in my BIOS I've got an option to reset it there, maybe that's available for u

Thanks, I got it out. I would reset it in BIOS, but remember nothing on the screen not even BIOS

12 minutes ago, trtiich said:

Thanks, I got it out. I would reset it in BIOS, but remember nothing on the screen not even BIOS

hahaha yeah forgot about that part shiiiieeet

A big THANK YOU to all of you for the input. I got it working. I reset the CMOS battery and reseated the RAM stick and GPU. Don't know which one made it happen, but it's working now! Thanks guys!

Even if the fans spin, the GPU may be dead @Flowey. My 550Ti's fan would spin but the GPU was roasted.

If resetting doesn't work, it may be the GPU or the cable. The only way to tell is to use another GPU or integrated graphics, though (or another cable if it is the cable).

7 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

Even if the fans spin, the GPU may be dead @Flowey. My 550Ti's fan would spin but the GPU was roasted.

If resetting doesn't work, it may be the GPU or the cable. The only way to tell is to use another GPU or integrated graphics, though (or another cable if it is the cable).

Really? well I guess since they are on separated circuit... But I thought that software made the fan spins, which is why I thought that the fans only spin when the card is working.

On 6/5/2016 at 3:45 PM, Flowey said:

Really? well I guess since they are on separated circuit... But I thought that software made the fan spins, which is why I thought that the fans only spin when the card is working.

On 6/5/2016 at 3:37 PM, theninja35 said:

Weirdest thing happened this morning. Last night I normally shut the computer down, no problems. Today, however, the same thing happened. I went to clear the CMOS (and reseat the GPU since the CMOS battery lies underneath the GPU) and I also put a RAM stick into a different slot and now it boots normally just like yesterday. If I need to do this bullshit every 24 hours I'm gonna smash every single component in this rig. I have the small speaker attached to the motherboard for beep troubleshooting, it didn't beep at all when the monitor wouldn't turn on, but after everything is reseated and CMOS cleared it beeped again. This is just building up my rage level everyday. What the fuck is the problem?