Blackout caused my router to lose configuration

N.E.A

Hi All, 

Yesterday we had a blackout at home and in the morning I found out that the router lost its configuration. I had to reconfigure it as if I just bought it. I took a backup of the config. just in case it happened again. 

I want to know if there is something else I can do with it because, I've had routers in the past that were ok when a blackout happens. When the power comes back again, the router resumes its work normally. The router in question is the Netgear D6000. 

My way of life: "Think differently, act modestly."

Internet dweller love to write and read about almost everything.

I like to be part of productive and positive communities. 

I meant something to do with the router itself. Maybe there is a setting that I did not configure which restores the configuration automatically. 

My way of life: "Think differently, act modestly."

Internet dweller love to write and read about almost everything.

I like to be part of productive and positive communities. 

Unless there is some sort of setting that lets you choose "reset on power loss" or something like that, I doubt you have any say in the matter.  Some routers (apparently) are designed to save all their settings in an EEPROM or something of that nature evidently such that losing power doesn't affect them, while others choose to store it in RAM of some sort and as such the changes are lost on power out.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

You can check and ensure you have the latest firmware from the manufacture  on it as sometimes it could be a bug that is fixed in firmware updates. Speaking a network engineer for an ISP, we have some modems with a firmware bug that when the modem reboots, it will clear out the internal router settings back to factory defaults. Just some food for thought. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 hours ago, legacy99 said:

You can check and ensure you have the latest firmware from the manufacture  on it as sometimes it could be a bug that is fixed in firmware updates. Speaking a network engineer for an ISP, we have some modems with a firmware bug that when the modem reboots, it will clear out the internal router settings back to factory defaults. Just some food for thought. 

We have an entire line (several hundred, maybe a thousand of them) of managed 8 port POE switches that have this same issue. We're constantly having to reprogram them, which is made more frustrating because they default to a static IP, not DHCP.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

3 minutes ago, brwainer said:

We have an entire line (several hundred, maybe a thousand of them) of managed 8 port POE switches that have this same issue. We're constantly having to reprogram them, which is made more frustrating because they default to a static IP, not DHCP.

Ick, I know the troubles. I am a network engineer for an ISP so its not fun when a config is wiped out due to lost power. If its happening to all of them, then it definitely sounds like a Firmware/iOS type of issue/bug that would likely be resolved with an update/upgrade. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Ick, I know the troubles. I am a network engineer for an ISP so its not fun when a config is wiped out due to lost power. If its happening to all of them, then it definitely sounds like a Firmware/iOS type of issue/bug that would likely be resolved with an update/upgrade. 

It's a known issue that "Brand X" isn't interested in solving, because it's only an issue if you program them via the API instead of via the webclient. They don't have telnet or SSH. A competitor "Brand Y" makes a comparable product that does not have this issue, and our demand for it has wiped out stock from several distributors several times. We have to use the API to program them because between Brand X and Brand Y we might have close to 10,000 of them.

1 minute ago, brwainer said:

It's a known issue that "Brand X" isn't interested in solving, because it's only an issue if you program them via the API instead of via the webclient. They don't have telnet or SSH. A competitor "Brand Y" makes a comparable product that does not have this issue, and our demand for it has wiped out stock from several distributors several times. We have to use the API to program them because between Brand X and Brand Y we might have close to 10,000 of them.

OUCH, so I assume its the Brand X that you are having the issues with then? Brand Y is working as intended and has no problems in the event of a power loss. Unfortunately, it sounds like with the Volume you have, you have 2 options I see. Continue to push on Netgear to fix there software so it does not happen, or phase them out and go with Brand Y that has no issues with the API Updates. From the sounds of it, you are phasing out the Netgear as you can with the Brand Y, but stock availability is the issue to obtain them. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

35 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

OUCH, so I assume its the Brand X that you are having the issues with then? Brand Y is working as intended and has no problems in the event of a power loss. Unfortunately, it sounds like with the Volume you have, you have 2 options I see. Continue to push on Netgear to fix there software so it does not happen, or phase them out and go with Brand Y that has no issues with the API Updates. From the sounds of it, you are phasing out the Netgear as you can with the Brand Y, but stock availability is the issue to obtain them. 

I'm not the OP, and Brand X is not Netgear. But yeah that's what we're doing - ordering Brand Y whenever we can. I just added our info to confirm that it's not just your situation with modems where sometimes the manufacturer makes a bad firmware, and there just might never be a fix via an update.

Got ya, understood. My bad for mistaking you for the OP.. long night at work :P

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig