watered, GTX 1080, Lian Li PC-08, 6700k

Hi Everyone. This is my first build log. I put "watered" in the title, as that'll be my description for water cooled pc components. As for this build that'll be the GPU, cpu, and motherboard that will be water cooled.

I'm awaiting shipment on a few other pieces but this is what should all be here within this week:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: GeIL SUPER LUCE 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Mushkin ECO3 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Lian-Li PC-O8WX ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Acer XZ350CU bmijphz 35.0" 144Hz Monitor
UPS: CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
Other: EK-Supremacy EVO GREEN Edition
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-04 10:38 EDT-0400

Other special notes:

• green/black theme colored build
  • the GeIL Super Luce RAM didn't have a green color, so it'll be the one piece that's white
  • water cooled items: cpu, gpu, mobo (asus maximus formula board has that built in) i skipped the ram as i've read ddr4 doesn't really need it?)
    • water cooling system includes a 360mm radiator, 240mm radiator, and EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM (incl. pump)
  • maybe someday in the future i'll upgrade and go 32gb RAM, SLI
  • I've been searching overclocking information but can't really find something online to say what is safe parameters to run 24/7
  • water cooled system is using soft tubing
  • 6x thermaltake 120mm riing

Pictures in the hidden block below 

In this picture: Asus maximus formula, gtx1080 waterblock, ek res & pump

mNmF212.jpg

This is the Lian Li PC-08 case with the EK triple radiator, i think i'll have to drill holes to mount the radiator as it doesn't line up with the preexisting holes. 

jDkRrUN.jpg

Little tip, next time instead of collapse, put spoiler. Like this but without the periods I put in:

[.spoiler]

-your stuff-

[./spoiler]

Nice build btw, interested to see the finished product.

3 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Little tip, next time instead of collapse, put spoiler. Like this but without the periods I put in:

[.spoiler]

-your stuff-

[./spoiler]

Nice build btw, interested to see the finished product.

you're awesome, thank you! how do i do it with a title? i've seen it on a few other threads. a collapse-able section with a title.

9 minutes ago, LLe82 said:

As for this build that'll be the GPU, cpu, and motherboard that will be water cooled.

Water cooled motherboard, never hear of that before but cool

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

5 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

Water cooled motherboard, never hear of that before but cool

asus maximus formula board has it built in. i guess that's only the north chipset? should i label it differently?

15 minutes ago, LLe82 said:

I've been searching overclocking information but can't really fine something online to say what is safe parameters to run 24/7

Z170 is considered safe to overvolt up to 1.4v.

My 6700k hit 4.6GHz at 1.35v, so you can try that as a reference if you'd like. You'll have to tinker with your other voltages and cache frequency etc on your own, my board doesn't let me adjust those.

3 minutes ago, smittywits said:

Z170 is considered safe to overvolt up to 1.4v.

My 6700k hit 4.6GHz at 1.35v, so you can try that as a reference if you'd like. You'll have to tinker with your other voltages and cache frequency etc on your own, my board doesn't let me adjust those.

Thank you for that info! I'm assuming you run it at 4.6ghz (1.34v) 24/7. How long have you been running it at those settings? months/years? I found some articles online running around that same 4.6-4.7, but the users seemed to warn about the CPU maybe only lasting a couple of years.

6 minutes ago, LLe82 said:

Thank you for that info! I'm assuming you run it at 4.6ghz (1.34v) 24/7. How long have you been running it at those settings? months/years? I found some articles online running around that same 4.6-4.7, but the users seemed to warn about the CPU maybe only lasting a couple of years.

The processor isn't a year old yet, haha. 6700k released August of '15. It's usually not on 24/7, as it's a secondary PC. The times it has been left on, it wasn't for more than a few days at a time. I've owned it for about 2 months now.

My 5930k is running at 1.298v(1.3v) and it's on 24/7. I've had this rig for about 8 months, and it runs 24/7 all the time. It's a different architecture, but I don't have any worries about it dying soon. My overclock probably lowers the lifespan from 25 years to 18-20 years. I plan to upgrade LONG before that ever happens. That's the trade off for overclocking though. It does shorten the lifespan of the CPU. It also costs a bit more on your power bill, but that's negligible in a lot of cases.

15 minutes ago, LLe82 said:

asus maximus formula board has it built in. i guess that's only the north chipset? should i label it differently?

no, just surprised that you could get water cooled board, im such a noob

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

7 minutes ago, smittywits said:

The processor isn't a year old yet, haha. 6700k released August of '15. It's usually not on 24/7, as it's a secondary PC. The times it has been left on, it wasn't for more than a few days at a time. I've owned it for about 2 months now.

My 5930k is running at 1.298v(1.3v) and it's on 24/7. I've had this rig for about 8 months, and it runs 24/7 all the time. It's a different architecture, but I don't have any worries about it dying soon. My overclock probably lowers the lifespan from 25 years to 18-20 years. I plan to upgrade LONG before that ever happens. That's the trade off for overclocking though. It does shorten the lifespan of the CPU. It also costs a bit more on your power bill, but that's negligible in a lot of cases.

yeah, if the rig lasts 6 years i'll be happy. heck i normally upgrade every 3 years, so... let the overclocking start soon! haha 

i was thinking about keeping stock settings for a few months before overclocking, but that might not be the case now :)

Edited by LLe82
mispelling

1 minute ago, LLe82 said:

yeah, if the rig lasts 6 years i'll be happen. heck i normally upgrade ever 3 years, so... let the overclocking start soon! haha 

i was thinking about keeping stock settings for a few months before overclocking, but that might not be the case now :)

I overclock out of the boxes. It's such a fun experience to push everything the farthest you possibly can, just to know what your hardware is capable of. You just need to make sure you don't instantly blow things up with a ridiculous amount of voltage haha.

15 minutes ago, smittywits said:

I overclock out of the boxes. It's such a fun experience to push everything the farthest you possibly can, just to know what your hardware is capable of. You just need to make sure you don't instantly blow things up with a ridiculous amount of voltage haha.

wow, overclock right out of the boxes.

for me, this is my first build log, first time water cooling, first time overclocking, first time spending over $1400 on a build... a lot of cherries being popped here haha

2 hours ago, LLe82 said:

you're awesome, thank you! how do i do it with a title? i've seen it on a few other threads. a collapse-able section with a title.

Same way, just use spoilers. I think you can make it titled someway, I don't know how though.

ooohhh look at this awesomeness that arrived in the mail today from newegg. damn i know i was impatient and wasted money, when i could have a faster version for less in a week or two. but oh well.

I think tomorrow I'll test this new card in my current system to ensure it works before I tear it apart for water cooling setup. My current system is:

- Intel Core i5-3570 3.4 GHz 6 MB Cache

- Intel Socket 1155, Intel P67 Motherboard (2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16) [i'm sure glad pci express is backwards/frontwards compatible]

- Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz

- Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC (hopefully it'll be a fun test! this should feel like a 4-5 version jump? not only from 6 series to 10, but 60 sub series to 80)

GTX 1080 images, but no special images so far.

nA2r4CH.jpg

3lGi30H.jpg

Finally.. someone makes a build with this case. Pleaseee.. make it a good one sir :D

7 hours ago, randy hutajulu said:

Finally.. someone makes a build with this case. Pleaseee.. make it a good one sir :D

I hope to make it good. To me I already spent too much money haha. So I better make it good!

Keep in mind this is my first water cooled attempt. Also if you noticed I went with half green and half black compression fittings. I wonder if people will criticize that. I thought it would be a cool different setup

ok, so i'm not sure if i did something wrong. to get a benchmark, i tested the 660gtx on cs:go and fallout4, but when i swapped in the gtx1080 it was the same average-ish FPS. I was expecting some type of boost in FPS, even despite using the same cpu, RAM, and motherboard.

on both the gtx660 and gtx1080:

i got around an average of 230 fps on cs:go 

i got around an average of 30 fps on fallout 4 

this was on the system i'm going to be replacing:

- Intel Core i5-3570 3.4 GHz 6 MB Cache

- Intel Socket 1155, Intel P67 Motherboard (2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16)

- Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz

oh well, i guess now that i know the gtx1080 works, it's time to hook up the water system as much of the water system as i can. I'm awaiting a few things before I can fully finish the system. Though I have a feeling it'll take me a few days to complete the build. I'm going to take it slow since it's my first water build.

here's some photos.

XxcOVbz.jpg

KgOB2Dv.jpg

Case build and planning in progress. Going to have to drill a few holes for the triple radiator that doesn't quite fit the Lian li pc08 case. Pictures below of the video card water block being installed

7jPMuDZ.jpgzEy70aq.jpg

J5WLUVc.jpg

Please give your input on this water loop. Is it okay? Should I route it differently?

In the image below:

1.) from 360mm radiator in rear of case to 240mm radiator

2.) 240mm radiator to motherboard waterblock

3.) motherboard waterblock to cpu waterblock

4.) cpu to gpu waterblock

5.) gpu to (T-splitter to allow drainage valve) to reservoir + pump (current plan: to keep in the visible front area of the case)

6.)  resevoir + pump to 360mm radiator

kCZAWwK.jpg

Edited by LLe82

Water Loop Option 2: I think this would be an aesthetically ugly, but functional, water loop:

1.) 360mm rear radiator to motherboard (MB)

2.) MB to 240mm radiator

3.) 240mm radiator to CPU

4.) cpu to gpu

5.) gpu to reservoir+pump

6.) reservoir+pump to 360mm rad

SdA2fCa.jpg

A small bit of progress.

Cleaned the radiators with some reverse osmosis water. I highly suggest flushing water through each radiator about 5 times, and if you look at the pictures attached I show a few pictures of what came out of radiators and also a base image of the clean bowl to show no specks prior.

I've measured a couple of spots where I plan to drill holes to fit the radiator into the Lian Li PC08 case, pictures included.

6fKqeJJ.jpg

I6tHfuo.jpg

DYzmIy6.jpg

PCIZPvy.jpg

UNjo48K.jpg

Would love to have some updates of this build, literally building my next PC with almost identical parts, same CPU, MOBO, case, GPU, and coming from an almost identical build prior also!

1 hour ago, DPerry918 said:

Would love to have some updates of this build, literally building my next PC with almost identical parts, same CPU, MOBO, case, GPU, and coming from an almost identical build prior also!

cool. are you going watered too? what was the prior build?

I just got the cpu in today, but i wont' be able to work on the build until maybe the late evening time. hopefully i'll get the 360mm radiator fitted into the case with the new drilled case holes, and then get some piping going. I'll also do a rinse/testing of the reservoir+pump+tubing.

22 minutes ago, LLe82 said:

cool. are you going watered too? what was the prior build?

I just got the cpu in today, but i wont' be able to work on the build until maybe the late evening time. hopefully i'll get the 360mm radiator fitted into the case with the new drilled case holes, and then get some piping going. I'll also do a rinse/testing of the reservoir+pump+tubing.

Yes im going water cooled, havent decided on what water pump and such but am looking at probably going EK to match the mobo. Im thinking im gonna put the new thermaltake tt rgb fans in the case aswell. 

My current build which is 4 years old has a i5-3570k, 7870 oc crossfired, asus p8z77 pro mobo, and 16gb corsair vengeance ram all in the corsair 600t case. Ready to do something new just have to find all the money haha.