Dead screen - need to get data from smartphone

WildCAt

Hello!

Yesterday was extremely unlucky day for me: screen on my phone cracked.. (by itself - to hits, to falling, nothing happened .____.)

The phone is Lg Optimus G (e975). I loved it so much :( However, there were some other issues like defective battery, so I decided to buy a new smartphone - Asus Zenfone 2 (ZE551ML).

Back to the topic...

The crack divided my screen like 3/4. Upper part is working and bottom is not.

I have important information on my Optimus like documents, app data, notes, photos and so on. The question is: how do I get it? :D

I have pattern lock which I can't unlock, because bottom part of screen is dead..

I can't connect it to PC, because I need to unlock screen to confirm it.

I think I can connect the mouse to my phone (yes, I have an adapter with additional power) and I think I've done it once xD But I can't use mouse, because, I guess, I need to unlock it first. Laser on mouse is working, but no cursor showing on device.

BTW, I've Resurrection Remix installed, which is based on CM12 and CWM recovery (luckily,non-touchscreen version)

There is only 1 option left - factory reset using recovery.

The lock on screen will reset, but also all my apps will be deleted :\ However I'll probably have access to my documents and other stuff using moue..

Also I've done backup.

THE QUESTION IS:

Are there any other options rather than factory reset?

And how do I extract data from backup (.tar) (haven't googled it yet)

A .tar file is a compression file similar to .zip, as far as I know. The only immediate thing that comes to mind is Linux when I think of it. Unfortunately, all I can tell you is that you can extract .tar files with Linux, using a live boot disk or other medium. I can't tell you how to fix your issue.

Thy hath sinneth, and in thy life thou hast fallen to an unholy, unspeakable level of humanity. Thou hast given into your basest needs. And suffered many years under thine Satan-box. However, if thine be willing, as thy hast show yourself to be, thy can ascendeth into thy glorious fold of the glorious church. Go well, my brother, may your temps be low and your frames high. ~ MrDynamicMan

12 minutes ago, WildCAt said:

Hello!

Yesterday was extremely unlucky day for me: screen on my phone cracked.. (by itself - to hits, to falling, nothing happened .____.)

The phone is Lg Optimus G (e975). I loved it so much :( However, there were some other issues like defective battery, so I decided to buy a new smartphone - Asus Zenfone 2 (ZE551ML).

Back to the topic...

The crack divided my screen like 3/4. Upper part is working and bottom is not.

I have important information on my Optimus like documents, app data, notes, photos and so on. The question is: how do I get it? :D

I have pattern lock which I can't unlock, because bottom part of screen is dead..

I can't connect it to PC, because I need to unlock screen to confirm it.

I think I can connect the mouse to my phone (yes, I have an adapter with additional power) and I think I've done it once xD But I can't use mouse, because, I guess, I need to unlock it first. Laser on mouse is working, but no cursor showing on device.

BTW, I've Resurrection Remix installed, which is based on CM12 and CWM recovery (luckily,non-touchscreen version)

There is only 1 option left - factory reset using recovery.

The lock on screen will reset, but also all my apps will be deleted :\ However I'll probably have access to my documents and other stuff using moue..

Also I've done backup.

THE QUESTION IS:

Are there any other options rather than factory reset?

And how do I extract data from backup (.tar) (haven't googled it yet)

is the data on a micro sd card? if it isn't then data recovery will be extremely hard expensive and not worth it since it is a NAND chip that is soldered on the mainboard. My recommendation is get your important stuff out and if you cant then im sorry but unless your willing to pay a steep price for data recovery then you have to accept the lost of data.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

3 minutes ago, UL_42L said:

A .tar file is a compression file similar to .zip, as far as I know. The only immediate thing that comes to mind is Linux when I think of it. Unfortunately, all I can tell you is that you can extract .tar files with Linux, using a live boot disk or other medium. I can't tell you how to fix your issue.

I know what is .tar and I've Linux Mint on ly laptop) But thanks anyway ;D

I meant I'll just need to extract it and thats it? ;D

2 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

is the data on a micro sd card? if it isn't then data recovery will be extremely hard expensive and not worth it since it is a NAND chip that is soldered on the mainboard my recommendation is get your important stuff out and if you cant then im sorry but unless your willing to pay a steep price for data recovery then you have to accept the lost of data 

Nope, there is no slot for SD card at all :D

1 minute ago, WildCAt said:

Nope, there is no slot for SD card at all :D

im sorry then but your fucked. unless you are willing to pay a steep ass price for professionals to take apart your phone, manually unsoilder the nand chip from your phone. then transplant that chip and resolderer it into an identical phone then you can get your data back. but this is an EXTREMELY LABOR INTENSIVE and EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE process. unless you have F15 Schematics or Classified NSA/CIA documents on there then it just isnt worth the cost and hassle to do so 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Well I guess that is a reason to not have a password/lock on your phone :P 

Do you think you know how to fix a phone? You might be able to buy a new screen cheaply, fix it, get the data out then do whatever with it :) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well I guess that is a reason to not have a password/lock on your phone :P 

Do you think you know how to fix a phone? You might be able to buy a new screen cheaply, fix it, get the data out then do whatever with it :) 

that could be an option if OP knows how to replace the screen on the phone and if he can acquire one for cheap. that is if his data in there is worth the cost and hassle. 

1 minute ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

that could be an option if OP knows how to replace the screen on the phone and if he can acquire one for cheap. that is if his data in there is worth the cost and hassle. 

But you know...he could always sell the phone after if it still works :) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

i see ebay listings for replacement touchscreen for you phone on eBay for around $20 so if you want to sink $20 and a saturday afternoon in fixing it then this could be viable option for you 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

But you know...he could always sell the phone after if it still works :) 

true true, unless he messes up when trying to replace the screen. just like i nearly bricked my dual socket server motherboard by dropping the cpu into the socket and bending some pins 

I could replace the screen by myself and even use it further BUT

I also have cracked back panel (not my fault)

Faulty battery

shabby plastic (time factor)

and now, cracked screen

So I decided to buy a new phone, because it wasn't really reasonable to fix all these issues...

I'll try to do factory reset, unlock the screen (I'm able to unlock slider-like lock), connect mouse and do whatever I need

The only thing is that I don't know for sure, will the mouse work :D

But it should.

Thanks to everyone!! :P ^^