moving Harddrives out of pc

zadye

Sure it's possible but why would you do that? It's slower than having the drive inside the PC connected to SATA cables...

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

1 hour ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Sure it's possible but why would you do that? It's slower than having the drive inside the PC connected to SATA cables...

If it's a recent drive, of course it will. If it's an older drive, then probably not (we're talking about the SATA I/early SATA 2 era), but I still see no practical reason to do that.

Sure, having blue LEDs on your desk looks gorgeous, but the "oh it's so pretty" factor is counterbalanced by the reduced performance and the fact that the SATA controller found in those enclosure is extremely cheap.

5 hours ago, zadye said:

~snip~

Hello zadye :)

As the guys pointed out, it should be possible and doable without any need to reformat the drive. 
May I ask for the reason why you are doing this? 

Do have in mind that not all games will let you install them on external storage. Some may suffer from the speed of the drive, especially if you are using older connections such as USB2.0.

What is the drive's brand and model? 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

1 hour ago, Captain_WD said:

Hello zadye :)

As the guys pointed out, it should be possible and doable without any need to reformat the drive. 
May I ask for the reason why you are doing this? 

Do have in mind that not all games will let you install them on external storage. Some may suffer from the speed of the drive, especially if you are using older connections such as USB2.0.

What is the drive's brand and model? 

Captain_WD.

the reason i am thinking of doing it is because i am switching to itx and i still want my high cap drives with me but the case is limiting me to 1 HDD and 2 SSD's. i got 2 ssd's for most used games but i really want my mass storage for movies and all the other stuff. and the enclosure is TBD atm. but i am looking into the icy box line of external hdd usb 3 enclosures and the drives is some seagate 1tb drives. and i will be using usb 3 for the connection . thanks for  the reply

2 hours ago, zadye said:

~snip~

In that case your plan sounds good. :) USB isn't the most stable connection for such usages but you should be fine with it. 

Post back if there are complications with the plan.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/