Mic Levels Changing

Ophidio

So I have this issue when I play CSGO it turns my mic level in Windows to 100% and it's really annoying because if I try to record any gameplay while it's like that my mic just sounds like absolute shit and my voice is slightly distorted. Does anyone know how to prevent CSGO from doing this? I've fixed it to where it doesn't before but I can't remember how I did it and it's really starting to get annoying. I don't want my mic sounding like shit when I play CSGO. 

Also please note I'm talking about my mic level in Windows being changed. Not my mic level in game. I have in game levels set perfectly to where I need them. Thanks in advanced for any help that I receive. 

Oh! If this is the wrong subforum please move it. I was unsure of where this particularly needed to go. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

If you go into recording devices (rightclick on the speaker icon in the taskbar) and open the properties of the device you're using, there should be a tab called "advanced" where you can choose whether an application can manage this device. Try turning this off.

2 minutes ago, Stefken89 said:

If you go into recording devices (rightclick on the speaker icon in the taskbar) and open the properties of the device you're using, there should be a tab called "advanced" where you can chose whether an application can manage this device. Try turning this off.

I did that :/ unless it takes a system restart to actually apply it that doesn't work for CSGO but works for nearly everything else. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

2 minutes ago, Ophidio said:

I did that :/ unless it takes a system restart to actually apply it that doesn't work for CSGO but works for nearly everything else. 

Quick googling gave me this fix you could try:

open the config file at Steam\SteamApps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\cfg\config.cfg with notepad, change the value for voice_mixer_volume to what you want it to be (1.0 = 100%, 0.1=10%) & save the file. You might or might not need to set the file to read-only after that (for some it worked without doing that, for others it didn't).

7 minutes ago, Stefken89 said:

Quick googling gave me this fix you could try:

open the config file at Steam\SteamApps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\cfg\config.cfg with notepad, change the value for voice_mixer_volume to what you want it to be (1.0 = 100%, 0.1=10%) & save the file. You might or might not need to set the file to read-only after that (for some it worked without doing that, for others it didn't).

I saw that myself and tried it. That changes the mic level for in game so you're not obnoxiously loud to your teammates. It doesn't do anything to help levels within Windows. I've tried just setting the levels within OBS as well but the mic level in Windows is still destroying my ears with distortion. Stupid Windows making things complicated for perfectionist. 

5 minutes ago, Ophidio said:

I saw that myself and tried it. That changes the mic level for in game so you're not obnoxiously loud to your teammates. It doesn't do anything to help levels within Windows. I've tried just setting the levels within OBS as well but the mic level in Windows is still destroying my ears with distortion. Stupid Windows making things complicated for perfectionist. 

Also saw some posts suggesting that it could be steam that's messing up the settings. Try fiddling with those...? If that doesn't work, I think that's about all I can think of rightaway...

You can also try this:

oBRw7fQ.png

EDIT: apparently there's another location with another config file that you could change it in that might work:

\Steam\userdata\YOUR id\730\local\cfg