GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 vs. ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0

Go to solution Solved by SkulD,

I have that gigabyte motherboard, my only complain is that since it supports 3 crossfire/sli the 2 PCI-e slots that run @16x are very close, so you MUST have a 2slot graphics card in the first slot, I bought 2 HD-7950 Vapor-X, that goes over the 2 slot by a few milimeters, and the fans from the top card couldnt spin, because they touched the card below.

The asus one seems to have more space for the graphics cards.

Hello again dear fellow graduates, lolz. 

My friend (another friend who will be watching the answers, but I will be translating the responses) asks the probable stability concerning the MBs outlined in the title of this thread. Does anyone have any problem with either of them (those who use it)? Which one would you prefer if you were building a new AMD rig with FX-8320, Corsair 750W TX PSU, 8Gs of memory, and GTX 660. Which one do you think would OC better and why? What do you think about the UEFI bios in these MBs? 

Thanks in advance. 

Links: 

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 - 169$

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 - 144$

CPU: Ryzen 7-3700x 4.4GHz, MB: ASUS PRIME B450M-AGPU: SAPPHIRE RX 590, RAM: 16GB Corsair 3200MHz, SSD: 480GB Kingston HDD: 2TB WD Green, CHASSIS: CoolerMaster HAF 912, PSU: CoolerMaster Thunder 700W, COOLERHyper 212 Black Edition

I know the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 is pretty high-end and has good on-board audio

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

The UD5 has more power phases for overclocking unlike the Asus (8+2 vs 6+2), I would personally go with the Asus because their bios are used in many tutorials and it makes it easier for you to follow by having a similar bios and their technical support is great imo. If you are not planning to SLI in the future, a SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM would be more than enough to power your system imo

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Thanks guys.

Any more suggestions from others would be more than welcome. 

CPU: Ryzen 7-3700x 4.4GHz, MB: ASUS PRIME B450M-AGPU: SAPPHIRE RX 590, RAM: 16GB Corsair 3200MHz, SSD: 480GB Kingston HDD: 2TB WD Green, CHASSIS: CoolerMaster HAF 912, PSU: CoolerMaster Thunder 700W, COOLERHyper 212 Black Edition

I have that gigabyte motherboard, my only complain is that since it supports 3 crossfire/sli the 2 PCI-e slots that run @16x are very close, so you MUST have a 2slot graphics card in the first slot, I bought 2 HD-7950 Vapor-X, that goes over the 2 slot by a few milimeters, and the fans from the top card couldnt spin, because they touched the card below.

The asus one seems to have more space for the graphics cards.

Main rig. Updated :D CPU: FX8350 @stock Cooler: Corsair h110 Motherboard: Ga-990fxa-ud5 Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 1866Mhz GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (blower cooler)  PSU: Cooler Master Silent pro 850w SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue Case: Thermaltake core V71 Fan controler: NZXT Sentry

Secondary PC: CPU: i5 4670k @stock Cooler: Thermaltake NIC L/31 Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 2133Mhz GPU: ZOTAC GTX 780 (Titan cooler) PSU: Antec 520m Pro SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue & WD 2TB Green Case: Thermaltake core V1

+1 for the ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0

Intel Core i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA RTX 2080 XC | Asus ROG Maximus XI | Intel M.2 nVME SSD 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 2X2TB | 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 RAM | EVGA SuperNova GS 1050W | Kept cool & quiet in a Fractal Design Define R5 Window with all Noctua fans

Thanks everyone.