GPU audio questions

1. Do the GPU audio processing (from Nvidia VRWorks audio (path traced audio) and from AMD TrueAudio) get routed back into the motherboard and out from motherboards audio ports, or can I get the results only from GPU own HDMI / DP audio channels?

2. In what format does the GPU output the sound and can I configure it in either drivers/control panel? (like LPCM 5.1/7.1; DTS 5.1; DTS-MA 7.1; Dolby Digital 5.1 (AC3); Dolby TrueHD; something else entirely? I mean HDMI can transfer audio is several different formats ... which one do the AMD and Nvidia GPU-s use? Is it changeable or hardcoded one format?)

3. Can I use GPU HDMI port only for audio (and DP ports for displays) or do I have to attach some display also to it for the port to work? (I would rather use dedicated audio port when possible and connect it to my Amp ... for only audio)

4. Is this Pascal VRWorks audio also possible to use in non-VR setting... for my 5.1 speakers on walls? (I mean why it's even part of VRWorks... like we don't use surround sound otherwise?)

5. how good the GPU audio mixing capabilities actually are? ( I mean in ye'olde times sound cards competed also with how many more simultaneous audio channels they could mix into output.... is this the case still today? how many sound channels can the GPU audio processing handle? 128? 256? 1024? 65k?)

5 minutes ago, deemon said:

1. Do the GPU audio processing (from Nvidia VRWorks audio (path traced audio) and from AMD TrueAudio) get routed back into the motherboard and out from motherboards audio ports, or can I get the results only from GPU own HDMI / DP audio channels?

2. In what format does the GPU output the sound and can I configure it in either drivers/control panel? (like LPCM 5.1/7.1; DTS 5.1; DTS-MA 7.1; Dolby Digital 5.1 (AC3); Dolby TrueHD; something else entirely? I mean HDMI can transfer audio is several different formats ... which one do the AMD and Nvidia GPU-s use? Is it changeable or hardcoded one format?)

3. Can I use GPU HDMI port only for audio (and DP ports for displays) or do I have to attach some display also to it for the port to work? (I would rather use dedicated audio port when possible and connect it to my Amp ... for only audio)

4. Is this Pascal VRWorks audio also possible to use in non-VR setting... for my 5.1 speakers on walls? (I mean why it's even part of VRWorks... like we don't use surround sound otherwise?)

1/ It uses GPU

2. Depends/im not really sure/you generally dont need to worry about it

3. No, unfortunatly

4. No idea, I use AMD

I use AMD hdmi audioo on my 4.1 surround system, works great, or it would have if my receiver wasnt broken.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

10 minutes ago, spwath said:

1/ It uses GPU

2. Depends/im not really sure/you generally dont need to worry about it

3. No, unfortunatly

4. No idea, I use AMD

I use AMD hdmi audioo on my 4.1 surround system, works great, or it would have if my receiver wasnt broken.

1. didn't exactly answer my question

2. yes I need to worry about it, because my not-so-new amp can eat only encoded 5.1 DD and encoded 5.1 DTS and can't exactly handle the new uncompressed formats.

3. so how exactly am I supposed to get the audio out from GPU? my monitor can't output 5.1 surround sound extracted from HDMI - so I was wondering if I could use one of those HDMI audio extractor boxes.

how did you connect your audio system from your hdmi? your monitor can extract surround sound and output it to your receiver/amplifier? you do it like... GPU => HDMI => RECEIVER => HDMI VIDEO TO MONITOR & audio out to speakers? in this setting how exactly does your 4k or FreeSync or 144Hz fps work (I mean doesn't the receiver ruin them if you passthrough video from your receiver?)?

1 minute ago, deemon said:

1. didn't exactly answer my question

2. yes I need to worry about it, because my not-so-new amp can eat only encoded 5.1 DD and encoded 5.1 DTS and can't exactly handle the new uncompressed formats.

3. so how exactly am I supposed to get the audio out from GPU? my monitor can't output 5.1 surround sound extracted from HDMI - so I was wondering if I could use one of those HDMI audio extractor boxes.

how did you connect your audio system from your hdmi? your monitor can extract surround sound and output it to your receiver/amplifier? you do it like... GPU => HDMI => RECEIVER => VIDEO TO MONITOR & audio out? in this setting how exactly does your 4k or FreeSync or 144Hz fps work (I mean doesn't the receiver ruin them if you passthrough video from your receiver?)?

1. I was unsure what you meant

2. Hmm, well I dont know

HDMI to receiver, receiver HDMI out to monitor.

This will only work if you have a 1080p moonitor, or a 4k receiver. 4k will work with 4k receiver, IDK about freesync or 144hz.

Last option is run a seperate HDMI cable to receiver, and set it as a 1080p monitor, you just wont be able to see that screen so if anything goes on it you cant see it.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."