(Router Recommendation) also What is the deal with ADSL Router vs Non-ADSL Routers?

neemasa

I'm about to upgrade my router to a new, faster and more capable one.

I own a Linksys WAG120N Wireless ADSL Router and after using it for a good 4 years, it's time for me to upgrade and buy one with capabilities such as:

• 802.11 AC
  • 5Ghz Channel
  • BeamForcing Technology
  • USB port for sharing printer and Storage Devices

As a student, I'm on a budget right now and I don't plan to buy an overkill product with extra features that I probably won't use therefore based on my usage which consists of online gaming, streaming videos, and home-networking; I need a router that costs between $100 to $200.

I'd like to like to hear your suggestions.

Also, my internet comes from an RJ-11 port on a telephone line which gives an ADSL internet and what gets confusing is when I'm surfing online shopping websites, I find out there are two sections for routers, one is ADSL Routers, the other is simply Routers with no mentioning of RJ-11 input.

Although looking at the photos of the back of the routers (Non-ADSL ones) I find no input of RJ-11 socket but mostly a WAN port with 4 LAN Ports.

So I have two questions about this matter:

1. Does WAN port support RJ-11 sockets?
  2. Should I purchase a separate ADSL modem and then connect the LAN Cable to the wireless router and use it as bridge mode?

I'm not good at networking terms so please forgive me for any mistakes made along the text.

I'm the Whole New Level of Freak!

3 minutes ago, neemasa said:

I'm about to upgrade my router to a new, faster and more capable one.

I own a Linksys WAG120N Wireless ADSL Router and after using it for a good 4 years, it's time for me to upgrade and buy one with capabilities such as:

• 802.11 AC
  • 5Ghz Channel
  • BeamForcing Technology
  • USB port for sharing printer and Storage Devices

As a student, I'm on a budget right now and I don't plan to buy an overkill product with extra features that I probably won't use therefore based on my usage which consists of online gaming, streaming videos, and home-networking; I need a router that costs between $100 to $200.

I'd like to like to hear your suggestions.

Also, my internet comes from an RJ-11 port on a telephone line which gives an ADSL internet and what gets confusing is when I'm surfing online shopping websites, I find out there are two sections for routers, one is ADSL Routers, the other is simply Routers with no mentioning of RJ-11 input.

Although looking at the photos of the back of the routers (Non-ADSL ones) I find no input of RJ-11 socket but mostly a WAN port with 4 LAN Ports.

So I have two questions about this matter:

1. Does WAN port support RJ-11 sockets?
  2. Should I purchase a separate ADSL modem and then connect the LAN Cable to the wireless router and use it as bridge mode?

I'm not good at networking terms so please forgive me for any mistakes made along the text.

WAN ports on those routers are for RJ-45 cable, RJ-11 is much smaller and it might fit but won't actually work. Depending on what you want to do you can buy a combo unit or buy just a modem and then connect to a wireless router to the modem using an RJ-45 cable. It won't increase your internet speed or anything but generally having them separate will improve performance as combo units are trying to do more and have to sacrifice something somewhere or end up costing more. Generally just a modem will handle passing traffic from the LAN to the WAN and not take care of port forwarding, dhcp, etc. so that's where the router comes in unless you get a combo unit.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

RJ11 is usually the type of termination on a telephone line, RJ45 is bigger and terminates CAT 5. 

MODEM (ADSL) connects via RJ11 to a telephone wire., MODEM (non ADSL) connects to a cable, looks a bit like TV coax with an F connector.

After this ADSL or non-ADSL doesn't really matter .

From this modem runs a piece of cable terminated in RJ45 this plugs in to the WAN port in your Router.(sometimes Routers and MODEMS can be combined into one unit).

Cables run from the LAN ports of this Router to various PCs/Laptops etc it may also pump out a wireless signal to various phones/tablets etc

I run an ISP supplied hub(router and MODEM in one)however in its control panel you can set the "hub" as a MODEM only and use your own router. I have found no need, as yet, to do this so just use the supplied equipment.  Like all things there are pros and cons with either route

RJ11 is a smaller looking version of RJ45 and though of the same family they are not (normally)interchangeble in any way

393310_RB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg

ADSL and Non-ADSL are in no way compatible.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"