Tips for a beginner overclocker?

So I'm just getting into overclocking myself and I was wondering if you guys can give me some advice for overclocking. I have a MSI GTX970, and I'm atm trying to find the sweet spot for overclocking it in Afterburner. I'm adding +50 mhz at a time first and then +25. So how hot should my gpu get? At the moment of writing this im running msi kombustor and its not going over 70 deg. How hot can it go before I should stop there? I've heard that its fine as long as it doesnt go over 85 deg or so, is this true? any other advice?

Winning an argument with a woman step by step

step one - talk to her

step two - fight with her for 2 hours even if you are really right

step three - admit that she is right for the sake of your safety

step four - realize that you have accomplished nothing and she still thinks you were wrong and now she thinks you are even more stupid

GTX1080ti, I5-4690k, ASUS Z97 PRO-GAMER, 8GB DDR3 1600mhz, Hyper 212 EVO, Tt view 31 RGB.

Anyhthing under 80c is ok for the 970.

Watch your voltage, thats what gets you.

That being said GPU OCing is more locked down then cpu OCing (unless you are really pushing things with crap like a custom bios) so odds are the worst you will manage to cause is some temp artifacting

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Watch Youtube guides, lots of them.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

2 minutes ago, Altecice said:

Watch Youtube guides, lots of them.

Lol I have :P

2 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

Watch your voltage, thats what gets you.

I havent changed the voltages at all, I'm trying to find out how far I can go without changing it.

step one - talk to her

step four - realize that you have accomplished nothing and she still thinks you were wrong and now she thinks you are even more stupid

GTX1080ti, I5-4690k, ASUS Z97 PRO-GAMER, 8GB DDR3 1600mhz, Hyper 212 EVO, Tt view 31 RGB.

You basically want to go really slow for overclocking, even 10 mhz per each try if needed. then after you reach the maximum you can do with sock voltage, try to rise it by 0.01 at a time too

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

BTW how can I see that I need to increase voltage? Is there artifacts or something or how do I notice that I dont have enough voltage for my overcloced GPU?

step one - talk to her

1 minute ago, henkka_scorpio said:

BTW how can I see that I need to increase voltage? Is there artifacts or something or how do I notice that I dont have enough voltage for my overcloced GPU?

you basicly push as hard as you can without voltage increase when you start getting some weird shit like artifacting or crashing try a voltage bump and see if it fixes the issue

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

2 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

you basicly push as hard as you can without voltage increase when you start getting some weird shit like artifacting or crashing try a voltage bump and see if it fixes the issue

OK. thanks

step one - talk to her

Personally I push my GPU's hard. I let them max out at 90c (980Ti's). You really dont want to let them get hotter than that at an absolute maximum.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Remember to overclock the core and memory clock sepratly, i got a +120mhz core and +400mhz on my 960.

The voltage doesnt affect the memory clock

Personally I push my GPU's hard. I let them max out at 90c (980Ti's). You really dont want to let them get hotter than that at an absolute maximum.

That tempreature will shorten the gpus lifespan, maybe not much but it will

3 minutes ago, XamN said:

That tempreature will shorten the gpus lifespan, maybe not much but it will

They never reach 90 but hover around the 85 mark. I know it will shorten the lifespan but in my situation I normally jump from card to card yearly (waiting for non-ref 1080's at the moment). 

They never reach 90 but hover around the 85 mark. I know it will shorten the lifespan but in my situation I normally jump from card to card yearly (waiting for non-ref 1080's at the moment). 

I didnt say its bad to go over 80c, if u upgrade gpu once 2 years or earlier, go for it :D

CPU: i7-8700K I CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: ROG Strix 1080 Ti MoBo: ROG Strix Z370-E RAM:  G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)   PSU: CORSAIR HXi Series HX1000i Case: Corsair Air 540 Display: 24" 1920X1080p 144Hz ASUS - 27" 2560X1440p 144Hz Dell OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

push all sliders to max

go ham

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

You really shouldn't be using benchmarking software to test your overclocks, they are worst case scenario (a shit ton of GPU instructions) which no game can ever achieve. Use a game like Crysis 3 or GTA V to test your overclocks, find a GPU heavy game (GTA V is both CPU/GPU heavy) that has a built-in benchmark preferably to compare results and obviously looking for the sweet spot.

2 minutes ago, ybriK said:

You really shouldn't be using benchmarking software to test your overclocks, they are worst case scenario (a shit ton of GPU instructions) which no game can ever achieve. Use a game like Crysis 3 or GTA V to test your overclocks, find a GPU heavy game (GTA V is both CPU/GPU heavy) that has a built-in benchmark preferably to compare results and obviously looking for the sweet spot.

Yeah I know they are the worst case scenario and that my GPU will never heat up that much in game, TBH i was just curious how hot it could get in the worst possible scenario, and if it is 70 deg in that then its probably quite a bit lower in game. I will try GTAV benchmark in a minute.

step one - talk to her

Thanks everyone for answering!

Now starting VRAM overclocking :P  :D

step one - talk to her