Should I Upgrade or Buy a New Pc

RBCBOOM
Go to solution Solved by UL_42L,
2 minutes ago, RBCBOOM said:

Yea but thats the thing I would have to buy a whole new pc for intell I wanted to see if it was worth it because I also need to pay bill so Im not going to have that much money in the long run I would love to go over the intell 

Just keep saving, upgrading your current system will make the new one take longer.

I currently have a AMD Phenom ii X4 970 Processor (Stock Cooler), GTX 650Ti BOOST, Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Motherboard, 12gb Ram (Rip Jaws), A cheap 50 buck Raid-max Tornado PC case, and an off brand power supply from a local pc store (No Clue what the brand is). Bought half of the pc used for 200 and bought the rest got about 600 into it I want to upgrade for better games because I cant run the newer games that are coming out. Don't know if I should up grade or save for a i5 and 1080 pc or just get a better case, power supply and new GPU and cooler for CPU. I would love some opinions form people that have more experience. 

It really depends on the motherboard socket type and compatibility with new hardware. I can't say much more than that, sorry.

Thy hath sinneth, and in thy life thou hast fallen to an unholy, unspeakable level of humanity. Thou hast given into your basest needs. And suffered many years under thine Satan-box. However, if thine be willing, as thy hast show yourself to be, thy can ascendeth into thy glorious fold of the glorious church. Go well, my brother, may your temps be low and your frames high. ~ MrDynamicMan

Its a AM3 Socket and the cpu is 3.5 ghz I didn't think I would have to upgrade that just the gpu and stuff

1 minute ago, RBCBOOM said:

Its a AM3 Socket and the cpu is 3.5 ghz I didn't think I would have to upgrade that just the gpu and stuff

If you can still get newer processors for that socket, it should be fine to just upgrade the CPU (of course you'll need the same socket type) and GPU. However, if it helps, I believe Intel is better for gaming, as it has a higher IPC, which helps games that don't make use of multiple cores.

Thy hath sinneth, and in thy life thou hast fallen to an unholy, unspeakable level of humanity. Thou hast given into your basest needs. And suffered many years under thine Satan-box. However, if thine be willing, as thy hast show yourself to be, thy can ascendeth into thy glorious fold of the glorious church. Go well, my brother, may your temps be low and your frames high. ~ MrDynamicMan

get a better psu,gpu and cpu/mobo. what's your budget?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Well my mobo is like 170 its a really good one and I play on the new psu and gpu just don't know if I should keep putting money into it or try to get a new one and my budget is what ever I plan on getting a job this summer and saving up some money.

With your system, I'd throw something new together. But keep the things you can use - the case and storage drives.

Depending on your budget, look for these CPUs, in order of performance

Athlon X4 845 (slightly better than your phenom, not a worthwhile upgrade imo, $70).

i3-6100 (quite a bit better, $110)

i5-6500 (we're getting into the good stuff here, $190)

i5-6600K (you'll want to overclock this one, you'll need a Z170 board for that, $250)

For GPUs, we're a couple weeks off a new generation so hold back.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

The latest CPU for AM3+ is already pretty old. I would wait and get at least a new CPU + mobo combo. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

Now that I'm aware AM3+ is getting old, I suggest saving up for a new system.

Yea but thats the thing I would have to buy a whole new pc for intell I wanted to see if it was worth it because I also need to pay bill so Im not going to have that much money in the long run I would love to go over the intell 

2 minutes ago, RBCBOOM said:

Just keep saving, upgrading your current system will make the new one take longer.

Ok so I have on outdated mobo thanks for the info and I think Ill just save up for a new pc but what would be the best intell cpu because I know the i5 are pretty good but is there a better i7 for a little more money but not that much

Just now, RBCBOOM said:

If you don't have a lot of money for an upgrade, I suggest getting a combo of $150 dollar graphics card (from the new generation) and $50 power supply.

Use only these models for the PSU though:

Corsair CX450M, CX550M (not the other CXMs)

XFX TS, TS Gold, XTR

Seasonic S12II, M12II

Rosewill Capstone

EVGA G2, GS, GQ, B2

At least one of those will be $50, hopefully :)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Unfortunately, I think the Phenom II x4 is about the highest chip that goes into that socket before you have to step up to an AM3+ (not 100% sure about backwards compatibility here). 

If I were you. I'd look into getting at least an older i5 (i5 4460 is what I'm running atm). They're not super cheap, around $180 USD last I checked. Which isn't too bad. You also have the option of going for a low-mid tier i5 Skylake for $20-$40 more than a Haswell i5. But you're going to pay significantly more for a decent motherboard than with an older Haswell chip. 

Going with something like a solid Haswell i5 chip and 1150 board, will also give you to the room to upgrade to a still pretty good i7 k sku down the road, especially if you make sure you get a mobo capable of overclocking now.

You could also go the used route and look for a cheap LGA 1366 motherboard and a used Xeon E5640 :)

You'll have to overclock it though.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Thank you all I just made an account and got instant feed back thanks for the info and Have a great Night. (Night time for me)

2 minutes ago, Apathetik said:

Unfortunately, I think the Phenom II x4 is about the highest chip that goes into that socket before you have to step up to an AM3+ (not 100% sure about backwards compatibility here). 

If I were you. I'd look into getting at least an older i5 (i5 4460 is what I'm running atm). They're not super cheap, around $180 USD last I checked. Which isn't too bad. You also have the option of going for a low-mid tier i5 Skylake for $20-$40 more than a Haswell i5. But you're going to pay significantly more for a decent motherboard than with an older Haswell chip. 

Going with something like a solid Haswell i5 chip and 1150 board, will also give you to the room to upgrade to a still pretty good i7 k sku down the road, especially if you make sure you get a mobo capable of overclocking now.

that mobo supports phenom x6 cpus

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, RBCBOOM said:

Thank you all I just made an account and got instant feed back thanks for the info and Have a great Night. (Night time for me)

1:15 here, messing with the task scheduler!

Happy building :)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

that mobo supports phenom x6 cpus

Iirc, the x4 and the x6 have very similar per core performance. Since a lot, if not most games still don't take full advantage of more than about 4 cores. Adding 2 more cores isn't going to net a very big gain in gaming. That's more along the lines of what I was referring to when I said it's about the 'highest' chip that goes into that socket. Guess I should have been more clear about that to begin with. lol