970 Ambient @ 59 Degrees C

I have a EVGA 970 ACX blah blah blah cooler in my case (Ncase M1) and the idle temps are very high. Now, I already know I should have went with a blower style card, but i was wondering if there is a solution, other than add fans to the bottom for exhaust, that I might be able to do sooner rather than later. Max temps hit the 83 degree threshold on nvidia while playing games like overwatch and gw2. The only reason that I wouldnt be able to do the fans solution is that I need to get my hands on 4pin fan splitters.

Edited by GauntletV2
ambient to idle

Wait your ambient temp is 59 C?  How are you alive?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, GauntletV2 said:

I have a EVGA 970 ACX blah blah blah cooler in my case (Ncase M1) and the ambient temps are very high. Now, I already know I should have went with a blower style card, but i was wondering if there is a solution, other than add fans to the bottom for exhaust, that I might be able to do sooner rather than later. Max temps hit the 83 degree threshold on nvidia while playing games like overwatch and gw2. The only reason that I wouldnt be able to do the fans solution is that I need to get my hands on 4pin fan splitters.

You Need Water Cooling For Sure..

Oh, for the fan splitters, it should be easy enough to find them on amazon or from a local computer store.  A few bucks is all it takes :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

10 minutes ago, GauntletV2 said:

I have a EVGA 970 ACX blah blah blah cooler in my case (Ncase M1) and the ambient temps are very high. Now, I already know I should have went with a blower style card, but i was wondering if there is a solution, other than add fans to the bottom for exhaust, that I might be able to do sooner rather than later. Max temps hit the 83 degree threshold on nvidia while playing games like overwatch and gw2. The only reason that I wouldnt be able to do the fans solution is that I need to get my hands on 4pin fan splitters.

doesn't that card gave an auto fan profile that kicks in at 60C? My R9 380 idles at about 59C with 1 display plugged in and the fans remain off, but with 3 it idles at around 62C with fans barely on. I made a fan curve so it idles at 57C though. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Wait your ambient temp is 59 C?  How are you alive?

9bc069e3524469127e3b9eacd49241a3.png

4 minutes ago, Keppla Gaming said:

You Need Water Cooling For Sure..

I have it all planned out actually, but, money, maintenance, also i go to a lot of lans and i would prefer not to do a custom loop for ease of lifes sake. I have thought about like an H75 for my cpu and the corsair aio gpu block, but im not sure yet.

2 minutes ago, GauntletV2 said:

*snip*

oh, ok, thank god!  That's much better :)

I would look into liquid cooling for as many of your parts as you can.  The more heat you can vent directly out of the case, the less the small case and case fans matter

3 minutes ago, GauntletV2 said:

I have it all planned out actually, but, money, maintenance, also i go to a lot of lans and i would prefer not to do a custom loop for ease of lifes sake. I have thought about like an H75 for my cpu and the corsair aio gpu block, but im not sure yet.

You dont need water cooling unless your card hits like 90C when gaming. 55C idle is not high. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

You dont need water cooling unless your card hits like 90C when gaming. 

83C but that's both fans at max speed, which isn't very pleasant to say the least when its 3 feet from me.

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

You dont need water cooling unless your card hits like 90C when gaming. 55C is not high. 

He says it hit the magic 83 C when gaming.  I think when he said "ambient" temps he means "idle"

1 minute ago, GauntletV2 said:

83C but that's both fans at max speed, which isn't very pleasant to say the least when its 3 feet from me.

At max speed? I have a mini ITX case and I cant get my R9 380 to go past 70C no matter how hard I push it and my fans never really go above 65%.....

Another issue with a corsair gpu block is that im not sure about how the tube will fit, and i cant find any examples atm

I've got an EVGA 950 with the ACX cooler on it in a random reused Acer Mini ATX case with 0 case fans. Ambient temp of 24C, GPU idling at 46C with two displays attached and fans at 0rpm. So yours does seem incredibly high, even for the case it's in. If you've had the card for a while, I'd definitely pull it, give it a very good cleaning. And if you're comfortable with doing so. Pull the cooler off and check/replace the TIM if you have some laying around. Always better to try the free solutions before anything else imo. lol

20 hours ago, Apathetik said:

I've got an EVGA 950 with the ACX cooler on it in a random reused Acer Mini ATX case with 0 case fans. Ambient temp of 24C, GPU idling at 46C with two displays attached and fans at 0rpm. So yours does seem incredibly high, even for the case it's in. If you've had the card for a while, I'd definitely pull it, give it a very good cleaning. And if you're comfortable with doing so. Pull the cooler off and check/replace the TIM if you have some laying around. Always better to try the free solutions before anything else imo. lol

A 950 is a significantly weaker card bro......it cant output the same amount of heat that a 970 can 

10 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

A 950 is a significantly weaker card bro......it cant output the same amount of heat that a 970 can 

Ya, I'm aware it isn't a direct comparison. The 970 can certainly crank out a lot more heat under load. But idle temps shouldn't be 13C higher. An article from guru3d shows stock (reference) GTX 970's idle temps around 33C (source here). Once again, that's also not a DIRECT comparison, as those are reference cards with blowers and ambient temp is not listed. But it's a decent baseline to consider then factor in everything else. 

Considering I use a similar card, with the exact same EVGA cooler, and a similar form factor case, with a horrible design (like I said, it's just some random reused acer mini itx case I had laying around). On top of the fact I'm using 0 case fans. Leads me to believe, after all considerations. That his card is still potentially running hotter than it should be.

But yeah, I never intended for my comment to be taken as a direct comparison. Just a piece of the puzzle towards how I reached my conclusion. Also, I'd like to point out I am assuming that he's using at least one of the two case fans that comes with the Ncase M1. Which would go a long way towards pushing or pulling the internally exhausted GPU heat out of the case. 

56 minutes ago, Apathetik said:

Ya, I'm aware it isn't a direct comparison. The 970 can certainly crank out a lot more heat under load. But idle temps shouldn't be 13C higher. An article from guru3d shows stock (reference) GTX 970's idle temps around 33C (source here). Once again, that's also not a DIRECT comparison, as those are reference cards with blowers and ambient temp is not listed. But it's a decent baseline to consider then factor in everything else. 

Considering I use a similar card, with the exact same EVGA cooler, and a similar form factor case, with a horrible design (like I said, it's just some random reused acer mini itx case I had laying around). On top of the fact I'm using 0 case fans. Leads me to believe, after all considerations. That his card is still potentially running hotter than it should be.

But yeah, I never intended for my comment to be taken as a direct comparison. Just a piece of the puzzle towards how I reached my conclusion. Also, I'd like to point out I am assuming that he's using at least one of the two case fans that comes with the Ncase M1. Which would go a long way towards pushing or pulling the internally exhausted GPU heat out of the case. 

over the past few days its been 80+ Degrees F outside (27C), however, once i checked it at night, its about 60F (16C) now, ambient is 49-50C. A lot better, but still high.

5 minutes ago, GauntletV2 said:

over the past few days its been 80+ Degrees F outside (27C), however, once i checked it at night, its about 60F (16C) now, ambient is 49-50C. A lot better, but still high.

Yeah, I probably should have inquired about ambient temps to begin with (didn't think temps would be that high already in NY). But considering that. The temps you were getting seem much more in-line with what I'd expect all other factors included. I'd definitely work towards getting a fan spliter and adding another fan to try and keep the temps down though.