[FINISHED] Project Dragon Khan - K'nex Rollercoaster PC build

3 minutes ago, tomaatvk said:

I've also noticed that on desktop, what helps is opening the pictures in a new tab and they should look fine in the new tab.

Unfortunately iOS doesn't have a way to do that - it has tabs, but you can't open an image in a tab unless the site provides a link to it.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

1 minute ago, brwainer said:

Unfortunately iOS doesn't have a way to do that - it has tabs, but you can't open an image in a tab unless the site provides a link to it.

It seriously doesn't have that feature? I really feel apple should look into providing that. I use it all the time on my android phone and windows PC. I will try to see if I can fix this issue some way.

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

19 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Getting back on to the issue, I discovered the problem and fixed the images in the first post, including the pictures contained in the spoilers of the updates in the first post so you should be able to find every picture propperly formatted at least once. The problem was that I dragged and dropped them from imgur right into the post instead of posting the image URL and making the forum turn it into an image. All new images will be formatted correctly from now on (provided that I remember to do it this way).

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

41 minutes ago, tomaatvk said:

Also, could I as for a picture of your K'nex case as I am kind of curious how others make them?

Sure, here are some pics :D

Just to make it clear, this isn't my main rig, i use this one to play old-school games so it runs XP, works quite well.

Also i can't pick this thing up with 1 hand because it's too heavy D:

Oh yea i also use it to put PS2 backups on my IDE drive, my ps2 only accepts IDE drives so this is the only system i can use to get games onto that drive.

Short spec list:

pentium D cpu, 1 core @ 3.2Ghz with HT

4 x 512MB ram

Nvidia Ti 4200 (i think)

Random HP thing (that thing with a bunch of white wires)

3COM network card (i think the on-board is broken or it's there from a previous random experiment i can't memember)

Scythe Mugen CPU cooler (mounting system for main rig is broken so i got a new one for that and placed the scythe on this one)

Random HD dvd/rw + lightscribe, uses IDE, love that.

Random AOpen motherboard.

Spoiler

large.IMG_20160611_141615.jpg

large.IMG_20160611_141603.jpg

large.IMG_20160611_141548.jpg

large.IMG_20160611_141640.jpg

large.IMG_20160611_141536.jpg

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Sure, here are some pics :D

Just to make it clear, this isn't my main rig, i use this one to play old-school games so it runs XP, works quite well.

Also i can't pick this thing up with 1 hand because it's too heavy D:

Oh yea i also use it to put PS2 backups on my IDE drive, my ps2 only accepts IDE drives so this is the only system i can use to get games onto that drive.

Short spec list:

pentium D cpu, 1 core @ 3.2Ghz with HT

4 x 512MB ram

Nvidia Ti 4200 (i think)

Random HP thing (that thing with a bunch of white wires)

3COM network card (i think the on-board is broken or it's there from a previous random experiment i can't memember)

Scythe Mugen CPU cooler (mounting system for main rig is broken so i got a new one for that and placed the scythe on this one)

Random HD dvd/rw + lightscribe, uses IDE, love that.

Random AOpen motherboard.

Reveal hidden contents

large.IMG_20160611_141615.jpg

large.IMG_20160611_141603.jpg

large.IMG_20160611_141548.jpg

large.IMG_20160611_141640.jpg

large.IMG_20160611_141536.jpg

That build makes me cringe on a new level but at the same time it's also amazing because of how basic of a case it is concidering the ammount of hardware you threw into it.

2 hours ago, tomaatvk said:

That build makes me cringe on a new level but at the same time it's also amazing because of how basic of a case it is concidering the ammount of hardware you threw into it.

Yea it doesn't look pretty :D 

But my main goal was indeed trying to keep it as small as possible because it needs to fit in my desk and this is as small as you can get.

Also apart from being small af, cooling is like no issue at all, noise is a bit of a weird one.

All fans run at a fixed speed so it always makes the same amount of noise regardless of load and temps.

CPU rarely gets 60°C and i can overclock it if i want :P

I got it up to 3.5Ghz at one point but i resetted the bios a while ago and i can't be bothered with the OC, it doesn't really need it.

Gpu doesn't even have a temp sensor i think and it's a bit broken because it artifacts sometimes but luckily never during gaming.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

29 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Yea it doesn't look pretty :D 

But my main goal was indeed trying to keep it as small as possible because it needs to fit in my desk and this is as small as you can get.

Also apart from being small af, cooling is like no issue at all, noise is a bit of a weird one.

All fans run at a fixed speed so it always makes the same amount of noise regardless of load and temps.

CPU rarely gets 60°C and i can overclock it if i want :P

I got it up to 3.5Ghz at one point but i resetted the bios a while ago and i can't be bothered with the OC, it doesn't really need it.

Gpu doesn't even have a temp sensor i think and it's a bit broken because it artifacts sometimes but luckily never during gaming.

Having an open air case really does help with temperatures, especially CPU temperatures xD

I am running my 3770k on 4,8GHz at 1.43V because the temperatures don't go above 82°C, which is only with the Small FFT test from prime95 and that is with only 1400 RPM fans. With the blend test it from prime95 it stays at 65°C with fan speeds of only ~1200RPM. Eventhough temperatures allow me to overclock it to 4,9 or 5GHz I just don't want to push the voltage any higher. I could probably reach 4,85GHz on this same voltage but I can't be bothered with that anymore (BCLK overclocking does weird things with this motherboard).

When it comes to noise, can't you just rig the fans to have them run at a lower RPM because the CPU doesn't get that hot anyways?

If you also want to have the case a little bit sturdier I could give you some tips but you might need a LOT of extra K'nex to build a sturdy version of that.

1 hour ago, tomaatvk said:

Having an open air case really does help with temperatures, especially CPU temperatures xD

I am running my 3770k on 4,8GHz at 1.43V because the temperatures don't go above 82°C, which is only with the Small FFT test from prime95 and that is with only 1400 RPM fans. With the blend test it from prime95 it stays at 65°C with fan speeds of only ~1200RPM. Eventhough temperatures allow me to overclock it to 4,9 or 5GHz I just don't want to push the voltage any higher. I could probably reach 4,85GHz on this same voltage but I can't be bothered with that anymore (BCLK overclocking does weird things with this motherboard).

When it comes to noise, can't you just rig the fans to have them run at a lower RPM because the CPU doesn't get that hot anyways?

If you also want to have the case a little bit sturdier I could give you some tips but you might need a LOT of extra K'nex to build a sturdy version of that.

Well sadly not really, the fan next to the gpu has a controller (that tiny black thing sticking out in the front).

The gpu fan itself can't be controlled and the cpu fan uses a molex passthrough so no option to control it.

The rules i follow is to keep the connections as short as possible and work in 3 dimensions as much as i can.

Mostly the gray long sticks are an absolute nightmare strength wise, i don't use any of them because they are terrible tbh...

After i made a frame i replace pieces usually in this order:

1. Gray sticks -> 2 yellow sticks + connection piece

2. Red sticks  -> 2 blue sticks + connection piece

3. Yellow sticks -> 2 white sticks + connection piece

4. (I don't have enough knex for this sadly) Blue sticks -> 2 green sticks + connection piece

The connection piece depends on what location it is but usually a blue+gray does the job.

This shouldn't give any problems btw because the lengths of those pieces are exactly the same :D I love knex.

-double post, nvm this-

30 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Well sadly not really, the fan next to the gpu has a controller (that tiny black thing sticking out in the front).

The gpu fan itself can't be controlled and the cpu fan uses a molex passthrough so no option to control it.

The rules i follow is to keep the connections as short as possible and work in 3 dimensions as much as i can.

Mostly the gray long sticks are an absolute nightmare strength wise, i don't use any of them because they are terrible tbh...

After i made a frame i replace pieces usually in this order:

1. Gray sticks -> 2 yellow sticks + connection piece

2. Red sticks  -> 2 blue sticks + connection piece

3. Yellow sticks -> 2 white sticks + connection piece

4. (I don't have enough knex for this sadly) Blue sticks -> 2 green sticks + connection piece

The connection piece depends on what location it is but usually a blue+gray does the job.

This shouldn't give any problems btw because the lengths of those pieces are exactly the same :D I love knex.

but because you replaced all the pieces with smaller ones it openes up the oppertunity to add extra connections but eventually you do run into the problem of not having enough no matter what. For fan controlling you can just create your own stuff, hook molex fans up to the 5v rail instead of the 12v rail to reduce the RPM (this does require part modding) and the same can be done with the GPU fan if you're a bit creative, hook it up to 5v molex instead of the 12v on the GPU.

4 minutes ago, tomaatvk said:

but because you replaced all the pieces with smaller ones it openes up the oppertunity to add extra connections but eventually you do run into the problem of not having enough no matter what. For fan controlling you can just create your own stuff, hook molex fans up to the 5v rail instead of the 12v rail to reduce the RPM (this does require part modding) and the same can be done with the GPU fan if you're a bit creative, hook it up to 5v molex instead of the 12v on the GPU.

I know i ran into the problem of not enough pieces multiple times D: I have some spare parts so i can make it even stronger but that would make it a lot more difficult to work on it and strength is atm at a point it's good enough for me.

I can indeed mod the fans so they run at 5V instead of 12V, maybe i'll do that if the noise makes me mad :D

The gpu fan, i don't know if i can mod that. It has 3 wires so the gpu is probably aware of the fan rpm and i don't know if the gpu cares about that.

I might figure that out when i'm modding it :D

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I know i ran into the problem of not enough pieces multiple times D: I have some spare parts so i can make it even stronger but that would make it a lot more difficult to work on it and strength is atm at a point it's good enough for me.

I can indeed mod the fans so they run at 5V instead of 12V, maybe i'll do that if the noise makes me mad :D

The gpu fan, i don't know if i can mod that. It has 3 wires so the gpu is probably aware of the fan rpm and i don't know if the gpu cares about that.

I might figure that out when i'm modding it :D

You can do what I did when I modded my iChill GTX 970 airboss x3 with your GPU too. Take the fan connector out of the GPU, take the power pin socket out of the header (it will have a GND, a power and an RPM cable and they most likely have a socket for the pin coming from the GPU inside the header you stick into the GPU, find the power pin socket and take it out of the header). After which you put a power wire from the 5v line of the PSU to the pin socket of the GPU fan power cable. Your GPU fan should be running on 5v without any issues and it should still be reporting RPMs to the GPU. The GPU probably doesn't care about knowing the RPM but in case it does (or you care about it yourself), you can do that. If not, take the header out of the GPU and just hook 5v to the power line and GND to the GND.

6 minutes ago, tomaatvk said:

You can do what I did when I modded my iChill GTX 970 airboss x3 with your GPU too. Take the fan connector out of the GPU, take the power pin socket out of the header (it will have a GND, a power and an RPM cable and they most likely have a socket for the pin coming from the GPU inside the header you stick into the GPU, find the power pin socket and take it out of the header). After which you put a power wire from the 5v line of the PSU to the pin socket of the GPU fan power cable. Your GPU fan should be running on 5v without any issues and it should still be reporting RPMs to the GPU. The GPU probably doesn't care about knowing the RPM but in case it does (or you care about it yourself), you can do that. If not, take the header out of the GPU and just hook 5v to the power line and GND to the GND.

Yea that's also an option, but the question that i just thought of is why the hell did you do that to a 970? You can control the fans manually with things like msi afterburner so no need to mod or were there issues?

3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Yea that's also an option, but the question that i just thought of is why the hell did you do that to a 970? You can control the fans manually with things like msi afterburner so no need to mod or were there issues?

Complicated story but long story short, after BIOS modding followed by heavy overclocking it was constantly hitting a power limit (tried to remove it but couldn't even do that through BIOS) and if the fans started spinning up the GPU would hit the power limit earlier because the fans were drawing power away from the GPU. Solved it by making the GPU fans draw power from the PSU directly (hooked it up to the 12v line) so it wouldn't hit the power limit that early. It really worked if you are wondering. Under certain types of load it was able to sustain ~100MHz higher clock speeds.

Holy crap. This is awesome. For some reason I was picturing a K'nex rollercoaster like this:

GPwSegK.jpg

I had no idea they had made ones like the one you have. My thumbs hurt thinking about building that.. Great work.

20 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

Holy crap. This is awesome. For some reason I was picturing a K'nex rollercoaster like this:

I had no idea they had made ones like the one you have. My thumbs hurt thinking about building that.. Great work.

Well, that is how the old K'nex rollercoasters worked. I have wanted to build one of those for quite a long time already but I don't have the parts and I'm not planning on getting them.

After that type they had another type here is how that type looked (managed to find a picute of the box where it's pretty clear how it worked):

Spoiler

4c8524ae57426_58893b.jpg

I actually have that exact box, I got it only recently but it doesn't include enough parts to build something of decent size. I do however have a ball coaster, the loopin lizard which I can use to get a little bit more track pieces (here is a pic of the box):

Spoiler

51qCsNxklQL.jpg

Sadly, with those 2 combined I still don't have enough track so I am planning on buying a some more of those screamin serpent rollercoasters. Used though because new costs €250/box. I am planning to make a rollercoaster that spans an area of ~4*3 meters with it but I do need a ton of track to make it. IMO this was the best type of rollercoaster tracks as they offered the least ammount of friction between the cart and the rails.

Several years later they came up with the sort of K'nex rollercoasters I'm using for this PC, I have roughly 7-8 meters of track out of only 3 boxes which were only ~€100 combined. It's most certainly the easiest and cheapest type of rollercoasters and it's quite easy to make really tight corners with that type but it also has its downsides. It can only twist around its axle and bend up/downwards, not sidewards. It also has a lot higher friction between the cart and the rails compared to the 2nd type of rollercoaster. It was perfect for the PC but not for something big.

Thanks for the compliments btw xD

Small update.

My CPU (5820k) should be arriving tuesday.

I also managed to score a deal on an Asus X99-Deluxe/U3.1 (with the dual USB 3.1 and M.2 expantion cards and the fan hub). I only need to pay it and it'll get shipped. I'll probably recieve it tuesday/wednessday.

I'm still looking at several RAM sets and I'm not sure which one to buy yet but I'm thinking about going for a 2*16GB set of HyperX Fury black or a 4*8GB set of Balistics Sport RAM.

Slightly unrelated to this specific Project but still K'nex related. I just purchased some more K'nex and I should recieve ~11meters of tracks with several other pieces within a few days and I'm trying to get another set of ~11meters on the cheap (the kind of rollercoaster tracks I'm using for the PC case). Once I have all of that I should finally be able to build a huge ass rollercoaster. It'll probably measure in at ~4*2*2.5m (L*W*H). Construction should start mid summer.

Another one of those small updates.

This morning I paid for the Asus X99-Deluxe/U3.1 so that should arrive by wednessday and I also ordered my RAM today. I ordered a 32GB kit of 4*8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 @2400MHz with a CAS Latency of 16. This should arrive tomorrow just like my CPU.

I'm going to get all of my backup systems up and running so I can move my PC to the new motherboard, CPU and RAM as soon as possible without losing any important data.

In case anyone is interested by this, my backup system works as following: move all the really important stuff from my SSDs to my HDD (WD Black) and to the HDD in my laptop (really slow at ~10MB/s average read/write speed). After that try to collect all the drivers and put them on my desktop HDD for easy install. Make lists of all the programs I have on my PC and save them on the laptop HDD to make sure I don't lose it. I have ~150GB to write to my laptop HDD and ~100GB to transfer from my PCI-e SSD to my desktop HDD. This will set me back ~5 hours so I'd better get a head start.

UPDATE #12 Moving to a new platform (part 1)

As you should be able to see in the first post in this thread I recieved my new CPU, a 5820k (used) and my new RAM, 4*8GB of Crucial Ballistix Sport.

As of yet I only had LGA 1155 CPUs for myself (i5 3570 and i7 3770k) and I worked with an i5 4670k. This means I got used to a specific size for a CPU. Now that I recieved my 5820k I think that's going to change. The first indicator for that was my first reaction: "Damn, that thing is huge" (although it was in dutch and not in english and yes I know, that's what she said). Those LGA 2011 v3 chips also have quite some weight behind them (compared to the size) because of the bigger IHS and without further ado, here are some quick pics I snapped.

Spoiler

dlfnLxQ.jpg7G5kZGw.jpgTU75qBl.jpg

The previous owner also told me that he was able to get the chip up to 4.8GHz without any trouble on a quad radiator setup with 2 290x cards included in the same loop so it should probably do at least 4.5GHz on my Cryorig R1 Ultimate (in an open air case setup).

I also said that I got some new RAM, a 32GB kit of decent DDR4. On my current platform I have 16GB value RAM and while it technically does work it isn't the best looking or the fastest stuff around. With those 32GB I should finally be able to run a RAM disk of more than 4GB (because I do sometimes reach 15GB usage with a 4GB RAM disk so 32GB was really welcome). Now time for some pictures of the Crucial Ballistix:

Spoiler

LuBOwJR.jpgZqIOcOh.jpgRlbuT4s.jpgKMLznQz.jpg

Because I currently only have my Z77 motherboard I can't put all of this in my system yet but it won't have to sit on a shelve for very long.

Tomorrow I should get some more packages containing an X99 motherboard (used) and some more K'nex rollercoaster parts (including more carts for a longer train). I should be able to get some nice shots of the motherboard online tomorrow together with some shots of the motherboard with the CPU and RAM installed. I probably won't get the chance to install everything into my PC tomorrow but I'll be free thursday as well so that means that by thursday my PC will be moved from ivy bridge to haswell-e.

My backups are also almost finished already, only some more documentation and I should be ready to reinstall windows in case my current install doesn't work on the new platform.

UPDATE #13 Moving to a new platform (part 2) A nightmare

Yesterday I recieved my motherboard, the ASUS X99 Deluxe/U3.1 and it's a real beauty, I'll include some pictures in the spoiler below

Spoiler

0Dl2lkI.jpgIWkr0HY.jpgobVcLaH.jpg1AwqwZ8.jpgroExUdN.jpg89IFHbC.jpg

As I did not feel like waiting with installing the motherboard, CPU and RAM, I directly mounted my CPU and RAM on the motherboard to put it directly into my machine. Here are some pictures with the RAM and CPU mounted.

Spoiler

IULTuwo.jpgwmktK2Y.jpg7XmKNdd.jpgxnfhrEZ.jpg

I was able to take my Z77 platform out of my case in no time. Quickly transfered the Cryorig R1 Ultimate, gathered some extra screws to mount this motherboard to the rest of the machine and put it in. After spending half an hour getting all the cables to the right place (not paying attention to cablemanagement at all) it was time to turn it on.

Boot errorcode 00, turning itself off, rebooting several seconds later and repeating.

Turned the machine off manually, checked if all the cables were connected and everything was mounted, it was...

Retried to boot, same problem.

Starting to get worried now because this RAM, CPU and motherboard combo set me back roughly 3,5 weeks of full time working (gotta love the fact that the minimum wage for 18 year olds is only ~€4 in the Netherlands).

After reassembling and checking everything 5 times I started to accept that it may be broken so it was time to move on to diagnostics of what might be broken. As it was error code 00 it was probably a CPU issue. I wasn't able to spot any problems with the CPU by just looking at the front and the back so I decided to start feeling if the CPU actually got hot at all. I whiped off the thermal paste, put the CPU back in and turned my PSU on again. I was putting my hand on the CPU to feel if it got hot at all, but before I turned the machine on at all, my hand got zapped. Yes, you read that right, the IHS of my CPU was under load with my PC turned off. It wasn't warm, it just had a bit of electricity going through it.

I grabbed my Multimeter, hooked it up to a random piece of metal and the IHS and you'd never guess, 50V. Yes that's right, my PC's ground was 50V AC above any from of actual ground. This means that when I connected the wires to the motherboard with the PSU turned off I actually zapped it with 50V AC resulting in the probable death of the CPU.

I mounted everything back to the way it was before and I'm currently trying to get all the documentation ready to ask for money from insurrance or even a replacement from warranty.

The conclusion: my house has bad wiring, my CPU got fried (probably and there is a small chance my motherboard got taken down with it), back to my old configuration of a 3770k, currently preparing to get some money back or a replacement.

EDIT: the conclusion was incorrect, there was probably a problem with the motherboard itself as it as slightly bent.

• 2 weeks later...

Small update time

As you are able to read from my previous update, my 5820k (and possibly motherboard) was fried.

Upcoming thursday someone will visit and determine how much damage has actually been done and to check if I'll get any money back. Sadly this is all taking an extremely long time and it's boring as hell for me to not be able to do anything with my PC.

Because of this boredom I've picked up on several other things like practicing Super Smash Bros Melee and starting constuction on a bigger K'nex rollercoaster. Because the big K'nex rollercoaster project does have something to do with this PC build log (both K'nex rollercoaster stuff) I decided that I might share a few details of that instead of the PC project that's just idling atm.

So far I've gathered roughly 35meters of rollercoaster track (of which ~5 meters is in the PC so that leaves 30 for the rollercoaster). I finished construction of the first part of the rollercoaster which includes roughly 11 meters of track. It consists out of 2 main towers where the cart will go through several loops, spirals and half corkscrews. Sadly this part of the rollercoaster already used up a huge ammount of K'nex so I'll need to get some more K'nex elsewhere to continue the second part of this rollercoaster. The dimensions of the structure so far are 1*3*2 meters (length*width*hight). I am planning to make this roughly 2*3*3 meters. If anyone is interested in pictures I'll take some.

• 3 months later...

Huge update, finally

UPDATE #14 Light at the end of the tunnel

At first a quick summary of what happened in the past months and why this project ginded to a temporary halt:

My Asus X99 Deluxe/U3.1+5820k+32GB DDR4 wouldn't boot so I went though the following steps:

1. RMA'd the motherboard. When I got it back, it still didn't work.

2. RMA'd the CPU. When I got it back, it still didn't work.

3. RMA'd the motherboard again. When I got it back, it still didn't work.

4. Noticed the motherboard was bent and RMA'd it again.

5. Got tired of waiting and decided to order an MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon. It works. (this was past tuesday if I recall correctly)

Still don't have my Asus X99 Deluxe/U3.1 back from the 2nd RMA...

So now I have a working X99 set in my computer, just as planned.

Within the spoiler below I'll drop a ton of images of the motherboard and the board installed in the system (warning, I did not yet do any cablemanagement as I didn't have that much time to do that yet and I had to take all the pictures with my phone so the quality isn't that amazing, nexus 5x for those interested).

Spoiler

The board outside of the system (these pictures are especially bad)

Spoiler

CU6UxvO.jpgWDZuoaS.jpg

The board installed in the system

Spoiler

gTRrRpb.jpgV7kdqwT.jpgVGpHPSP.jpgyufqYRO.jpgHfYLF8S.jpgEZoygiT.jpgtxXComz.jpgyLRGeKt.jpg

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who thinks that this is a sexy as hell motherboard. I just don't know what colour sceme I prefer, I really like the blue one but the green one is sick as well, the red one is pretty damn badass and the mixed one is also amazing...

As you might be able to see, some things concidering the case make no sense at all, well, I have to change those. For example, the box on the side where my sound card was, that is now in the 2nd PCI-e slot and the box can be removed.

The next step in this project is the GPU, I'm doubting wether I should just get a 1080 or go with a 1070 (it needs to drive a 1440p ultrawide). I did already decide that it's going to be a Palit Super Jetstream or Zotac Amp Extreme card (with a custom backplate on the zotac card).

I'll do my best to update the first post in this topic as well. I also still need to make a video of the rollercoaster but I'll wait with that untill I have my GPU.

FYI, I got my 5820k overclocked to 4.3GHz with 75°C on the hottest core under prime 95 full load with full fan speed and it can run at a light load while staying under 65°C, WHILE BEING FANLESS!!! Once it shoots above 20+% load or stays pegged at 15+% for a longer time the fans do kick in very slightly and it quickly cools down to ~50°C where it'll go fanless again and slowly warm up.

Small update:

I made up my mind and ordered a Palit GTX 1070 Super Jetstream card.

It should arrive within the upcoming week.

I can't wait for it to arrive.

I've also decided on a colour sceme for the LEDs in the PC, it's going to be a mix of red and blue.

Yesterday I also found some time to do make adjustments on the case, I removed the 'box' for the sound card and added a little bit more structural strength.

You'll see it in future pictures. 

UPDATE #15 Final hardware upgrade

Today my GPU got delivered and we all know what that means, time for some pictures and installing the card.

Lets start off with some pictures of the GPU by itself (the Palit GTX 1070 Super Jetstream):

Spoiler

CrprrdO.jpgSA3OwNx.jpgDsg672q.jpg

The card does look a little bit shiny but IMO that fits perfectly with the RGB LEDs on the motherboard.

Installing the card was a little bit hard because it's really bulky but this means that it took me 2 minutes instead of 1 to install the card (my case makes it really easy :P).

After installing the card it was time to boot and unlike the Asus motherboard, this one did work first try (still pissed about the Asus board).

After changing some settings I got the card to work at 2150+MHz on the core and ~9GHz on the memory clock.

All this while maintaining a maximum temperature of only 41°C on the core at full load (and with this I mean furmark full load) while running at max fan speeds (2500RPM) or 65°C on 35% fan speed (870RPM) which is still unaudible compared to my WD black which has noise and vibration dampning all around it. I am only able to notice that my GPU is running at full load because the air around my pc heats up a bit.

Now time for some pictures of the build in its current state (which is almost completed):

Spoiler

AYYlT2r.jpglttgHIA.jpgBnBrqwx.jpgJF9Wbls.jpg

Looking pretty damn amazing if you ask me.

Sadly, we have now arrived at the point where I have to start wrapping this build log up. Which I'll do in the next update.

I'll have to do some final touches to the cablemanagement, take some good pictures of the build (I should have a decent pocket camera available to take pictures starting saturday morning) and make a little movie of the rollercoaster (which I still have to start shooting).

I hope so far everyone enjoyed this build log. If anyone still has any opinions or ideas about this build, I'd be glad to hear.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE #16 Final update

I just finished uploading the youtube video, here it is. I hope you'll enjoy it or at least get a decent idea of what it became. Sorry for the bad picture quallity at some spots in the video.

The build log is now finished and I will edit the title to match that.

I might take a few extra pictures if people want some more as I already did provide some in earlier posts and in the video.

I do already have plans to make several changes in the future. For example, I want to take the PCI-e SSD out and exchange it for a Samsung 960 PRO 1TB m.2 SSD. But that won't be included directly in this build log.

Please tell me your opinions about what you thought of this build log and what I could impruve for future ones.

Thanks for reading.