OK, I want a no b.s. guide on transferring the stuff on my HDD to my new SSD

Seriously, I read this, I read that, this guy says to install Windows 7 with a clean installation, this guy says to use cloning software...seriously, I am so confused, and have spent my whole freakin' afternoon trying to get my SSD to simply function as a boot drive while retaining all of my drivers, games, etc. from my HDD. I tend to try to look up guides before I consult others, so this only adds to my frustration right now. I wouldn't be so mad if there wasn't so much confusion on what exactly it is you're supposed to do.

I have a Samsung 850 EVO 120GB. Problems began when I tried to use the transfer software (name eludes me right now) and it would not let me select the Program Files to exclude my Steam folder.

Long story short, I want to know what the hell I did wrong and/or if I need to boot off of my HDD again and have a clear guide on what I am supposed to do in order to have a smooth installation of Win 7 booting from my SSD.

End rant, and thanks in advance!

I advise that you install a fresh copy of Windows 7 on the SSD.

Some people clone from the HDD to SSD with no issues at all, others (as you seem to have found) run into many issues.

Even a successful clone today may lead to problems in the future (as windows will expect the HDD to be the boot drive)

Another benefit to a fresh install (besides not running into cloning issues) is you free your system of the clutter that has inevitably built up over the past years of using your HDD.

Here's how you'd do a fresh install. It takes time, but who said this would be easy? ;)

1. I recommend Windows 10. Get it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
  2. Skip steps 3 and 4 if you chose Windows 10, otherwise continue at step 3 for Windows 7
  3. Enter your Windows key (Let me know if you forgot your key) to download the Windows 7 ISO from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7
  4. Use this USB tool to create a bootable USB with the ISO file: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool
  5. Remove the HDD from the computer (to avoid accidentally erasing it), boot from the USB and install windows to the SSD
  6. Plug the HDD back in, move important files to the SSD from the HDD
  7. Format the HDD to wipe it (in disk management)
  8. Move files back to HDD, reinstall programs (selecting your HDD or SSD as you see fit). Make sure to install programs correctly, do not just copy them from your old HDD. It's OK to copy save files, of course.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

I was hoping to have a backup of Windows 7 in case if Windows 10 screws me over later on (you know, automatic updates and GTX 900 series problems with DX12 and all). I still have my Windows key, it's just that, due to the rather stupid design of the software Samsung provided with their SSDs, I am left having to bite the bullet and uninstall all of my games off of Steam and whatever I have installed from Good Old Games.

I should mention that this hard drive has not even seen a year of use, so the clutter you mention is probably not as bad as an old hard drive that someone would have kept from, say, their old Windows XP installation from years ago.

"Related to my Win10 Concerns" Question: you can still run games that use DX12 in DX11 mode, right? Also, Windows 10 doesn't automatically update GPU drivers, right?