Which case fans?

Taylor Dettling

I am working on a build in a cooler master mastercase maker 5 and I don't know which fans to choose for case fans. 

All the fans I have on hand are:

Cooler Master Silencio FP 120 PWM

Cooler Master Silencio FP 120 PWM Performance Edition

Corsair SP120 PWM High Performance Edition

Corsair SP120 PWM Quiet Edition

Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200 PWM

Noctua NF-S12A redux-1200 PWM

So as you can probably guess by now PWM is a must. Also I have enough of these fans for the whole case and I want the one with the best performance at lowest noise. It would be nice if the fans look halfway decent as this is a client build so if possible no NF-S12A.

Thanks, Taylor

I say ditch all of them and go with the NF-F12 or the NF-A14.

1 hour ago, Taylor Dettling said:

But they look like crap....

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them. 

What's your budget? What are your specs?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 5/23/2016 at 6:55 PM, WoodenMarker said:

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them. 

What's your budget? What are your specs?

Ok. I will be sure to do that from now on. My concern isn't price but this build is X99 with a 5960X most likely and a custom loop. I mainly want a fan with color neutral colors and silent performance.

34 minutes ago, Taylor Dettling said:

Ok. I will be sure to do that from now on. My concern isn't price but this build is X99 with a 5960X most likely and a custom loop. I mainly want a fan with color neutral colors and silent performance.

If you're going to have a lot of rad space and have money to blow, Silent Wings 2's or NF-S12B redux are good options that don't provide massive static pressure but are very quiet. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Don't use SP120's They perform really nice but are not quiet. They make a very high pitched wine at max speed. Not worth it IMO. The Silencio FP's or Noctuas are your best bet.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 2:37 PM, Taylor Dettling said:

I am working on a build in a cooler master mastercase maker 5 and I don't know which fans to choose for case fans. 

All the fans I have on hand are:

Cooler Master Silencio FP 120 PWM

Cooler Master Silencio FP 120 PWM Performance Edition

Corsair SP120 PWM High Performance Edition

Corsair SP120 PWM Quiet Edition

Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200 PWM

Noctua NF-S12A redux-1200 PWM

So as you can probably guess by now PWM is a must. Also I have enough of these fans for the whole case and I want the one with the best performance at lowest noise. It would be nice if the fans look halfway decent as this is a client build so if possible no NF-S12A.

Thanks, Taylor

Corsair SP120 PWM Quiet

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

Corsair fans are like Ford Mustangs. You buy them for looks, not performance.

Of the list you put out there, I can heartily recommend the Noctua Redux fans. I use a pair of 140mm Redux fans and have no complaints with their airflow or noise. No question I'm going back for more. They sound and perform like Noctuas, but they don't look like poop.

If you're interested in expanding that list of yours, check out the beQuiet Silent Wings 2, the poop colored Noctua fans, the Aerocool DS (if LEDs are your thing) or Phanteks' 120 and 140mm fans.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

Of the list you put out there, I can heartily recommend the Noctua Redux fans. I use a pair of 140mm Redux fans and have no complaints with their airflow or noise. No question I'm going back for more. They sound and perform like Noctuas, but they don't look like poop.

If you're interested in expanding that list of yours, check out the beQuiet Silent Wings 2, the poop colored Noctua fans, the Aerocool DS (if LEDs are your thing) or Phanteks' 120 and 140mm fans.

Speaking of Mustangs, I just bought a '65 Mustang for $2500 at a garage sale.

Just needs a fresh coat of cherry raid paint, some new headlights, and she'll be good as new.

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

NF-P12, I don't know why people forget about it, but it's so much better than NF-F12 and NF-S12A.

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

8 hours ago, Allshevski said:

NF-P12, I don't know why people forget about it, but it's so much better than NF-F12 and NF-S12A.

How is it better? NF-S12A's are quieter and NF-F12's perform better. 

On 5/26/2016 at 10:30 PM, aisle9 said:

Ok I think I will use the Noctua Redux fans for now and maybe later try some beQuiet Silent Wings 2. Thanks for the recommendation.

On 5/26/2016 at 4:13 PM, UberGamerKing said:

Corsair SP120 PWM Quiet

I decided not to use Corsair fans as most people don't recommend them.

29 minutes ago, Taylor Dettling said:

Ok I think I will use the Noctua Redux fans for now and maybe later try some beQuiet Silent Wings 2. Thanks for the recommendation.

I decided not to use Corsair fans as most people don't recommend them.

I actually bought three more Redux fans over the weekend to finish off my case, including the CPU fan. Nothing else changed about the case, but OCCT temps went down by 3-5C at the same ambient temp. I finally get the Noctua hype.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

40 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I actually bought three more Redux fans over the weekend to finish off my case, including the CPU fan. Nothing else changed about the case, but OCCT temps went down by 3-5C at the same ambient temp. I finally get the Noctua hype.

Wow thats a big decrease in temps just from fans

On 27.05.2016 at 7:16 PM, WoodenMarker said:

How is it better? NF-S12A's are quieter and NF-F12's perform better. 

NF-P12 is perfect balance between these two. Silent and deliver good static pressure and airflow, not NF-F12 constant purr. Well, I think it's just the best Noctua could come up with, while NF-F12 is good for heatsinks or low RPM radiators, NF-P12 beats it by far when it comes to restricted airflow case fan performance or even some radiator and heatsink uses. I don't know why, maybe it's because blades are wider (when it comes to depth) or it's just unique blade design, but it's far superior to any other 120mm case fan. Not a fanboy out there, I hate noctua colors :P

And you said that one is quieter and the second performs better, that's the most annoying thing I often read when it comes to fan comparaisons, it's like.. We have fan controllers right? So give us info which one is the quietest while performing the same or which one performs the best when it's at the same noise level as others. It's like comparing delta fan that spins up to 10,000 RPM and silent one that reaches only 800. Of course delta one will perform better but 800 RPM one will be quieter.. Whatever..

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

42 minutes ago, Allshevski said:

We have fan controllers right? So give us info which one is the quietest while performing the same or which one performs the best when it's at the same noise level as others. 

Performance varies depending on the scenario. NF-S12A's perform better while being quieter and the same goes for the NF-F12 when they're being used in the scenarios they're optimized for.